Pod Your Reef

Free Frag Tank?

Marine Depot

I don't see how a nano-reefer is going to be able to stay in this contest we are now not in the top running the voting has gotten a little out of control?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how a nano-reefer is going to be able to stay in this contest we are now not in the top running the voting has gotten a little out of control?

I noticed that too. I'm not sure if people are cheating or if there was just a huge flux of last minute votes.

We're getting stomped though but I feel honored to have gotten 81 votes!

I noticed that too. I'm not sure if people are cheating or if there was just a huge flux of last minute votes.

We're getting stomped though but I feel honored to have gotten 81 votes!

Just by looking at the votes you can tell they are not on the up and up.So I did a little research and the one in the top slot he is posting on his local forum and they are creating email addresses, using spam emails not sure what that is and even the forum monitor has created temporary emails?

Whole thing is a bummer I worked hard on it and got support from friends, facebook nanoreef and my local forum. Look at the guy in the second spot you think people are going to volunteer voting for a guy staining his stand..lol just frustrated

Just by looking at the votes you can tell they are not on the up and up.So I did a little research and the one in the top slot he is posting on his local forum and they are creating email addresses, using spam emails not sure what that is and even the forum monitor has created temporary emails?

Whole thing is a bummer I worked hard on it and got support from friends, facebook nanoreef and my local forum. Look at the guy in the second spot you think people are going to volunteer voting for a guy staining his stand..lol just frustrated

I hope Marine Depot does something about it. This is stupid and ruins the fun for contests because now it isn't even a contest. It's just a test to see who is dedicated enough to cheat the most.

Is it possible to remove the duplicate votes since the IP should be the same for the person making spam votes? Idk much about computers.

I begged my friends to vote but a person only has so many friends I don't know how I am supposed to come up with 500 legitimately :(

You are correct that an IP address can determine if a single person is voting. The issue is that Facebook collects IP's if you are logged in and Facebook may not give permission to Wishpond (the software of the voting competition) to view the IP addresses. So if wishpond has access to IP's then yes. If they do not then the other option would be to look at time stamps if they even collect that which may be unlikely since wishpond has been used with HUGE voting things and a time stamp would create a ton of extra memory to store for the duration of the competition.

Soo... basically... to those.. cheating.... your reward for being a jackass is a free frag tank. Woo-hoo?

BLAH.

I voted on a few computers in the same house but thats just my mom + dad + brother and me + husband and I used their legitimate emails.

I would say over half of the people that have entered, entered after the announcement of a frag tank is for raffle to one of the 5 product testers.

Marine Depot has the right intentions with this competition, but In my opinion a vote based competition in a small hobby will lead to this chaos. Think if this was a competition for like Apple there would be thousands of votes and it would make it almost impossible to input emails yourself and force a win.

Ya I agree.

The frag tank is cool but they should have left it for a surprise in an attempt to avoid BS like this.

I can say I actually know of one that is creating emails and they are using incognito mode and deleting cookies etc. There is 6 pages of them talking about it. Just google the guy in second place name and you will see the thread come up on wmas!

It shouldnt just be a public vote.

Funny the guy is on reef2reef saying I cant believe I have over 400 votes but I can see how we have over 400+ members he quotes..lol i wonder how many members over there.

me too

Yeah R2R is huge, much bigger than NR. But even still there is no way that that many people are voting. The guy in first literally has over 3 times the number of votes I do.

I take that bag WAMAS is not even that big!

I posted the link...

He is not gettin votes from reef2reef maybe a couple, I even got a few over there.

WAMAS President

• av-2631296.jpg?_r=0
  • Officer
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 11,753 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, reefkeeping

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

dbartco, on 29 Jan 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:snapback.png

voted x3

I think you should bug Tom to create a few hundred more @wamas.org emails for you! We all could vote again, mostly because the current leader's video is awful...

Ha! I've actually been using my spamgourmet account to create - ummm, let's just say "large numbers" of - temporary emails for *unspecified* purposes related to this thread.

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/63473-marinedepot-product-tester/page-5

What do you think the guy is doing that has more than him.. Something similar I would suspect.

As far as im concerned if you jumped 200+ votes within a couple days somethng s going on. I harrased people for votes on multiple forums and I did not get that many in Weeks! I dont think my video was that bad.

Yeah your video is pretty good, camera work and the content of the review. The person in first jumped from 233 at 7AM this morning and is at 820 and rising.. You can literally refresh the page and watch the vote numbers jump.

9:09 820

9:12 835

9:13 840

Because that is so legit who could ever suspect cheating?

Hey Nano-Reefers,

First, I'd just like to thank you all for your support! We appreciate all your entries and votes and are super-grateful for encouraging people to come to our site and Facebook page to participate.

I've been contacted by email, PM and have read posts from hobbyists that suspected foul play in the voting. I can tell you now after reviewing the data this morning that this is indeed the case.

The good news is it's fairly easy to identify cheaters. ;) Suffice to say if you were already suspecting certain entrants of having fraudulent votes... they do. We are going to let the entry/voting period conclude tomorrow as scheduled then wade through the data early next week to eliminate fraudulent votes and disqualify the most brazen cheaters.

Jeff @ MD

Thanks Jeff, I hope those on here played nice but you never know.

Right, I mean I'll be honest here and say it would be damn near impossible to eliminate every fake vote. But it's totally obvious after reviewing voter submission data that there are at least a few huge cheaters. I haven't gone through the report line-by-line—I'll save that fun job for Monday and Tuesday—but I can already tell we're going to disqualify some people because their cheating was so brazen and transparent.

Jeff @ MD

Just curious but what vote data are you able to see?

I just typed out precisely what I can see, but realize now if I reveal it (even though you could probably guess), I would just be giving the cheaters insight on how to cheat more effectively the next time around (should we administer this in a similar fashion).

I don't mean to be coy. However, I will disclose I see at least 3 different ways people tried to rig the vote so their entry would win.

I found something interesting with some of the leaders if you go to there video on the top left that link brings you to you tube. Some of the videos that were started a few days ago have a handfull of views but they have hundreds of votes!

Archived