Top Shelf Aquatics

Venkman's reef: New FTS

DrVENKMAN

Good news~! Corals are growing like crazy. Bad News~! They are using all the Calc and ALK in the process.

SLOW DOWN Scleritans. No need to rush this.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birdnest collection and Wp-10 should be in Tuesday omgomgomg

Looking forward to seeing the birdsnest. Fair warning, if you think alk usage is bad now just wait till the birds settle in. :)

Looking forward to seeing the birdsnest. Fair warning, if you think alk usage is bad now just wait till the birds settle in. :)

It looks like I am either going to have to get more aggressive with water changes or start really upping the 2 part dosage.

On the bright side, since adding MOAR flow, I just realized I have not cleaned the glassin over a week and its still perfectly clean. :happydance:

It looks like I am either going to have to get more aggressive with water changes or start really upping the 2 part dosage.

On the bright side, since adding MOAR flow, I just realized I have not cleaned the glassin over a week and its still perfectly clean. :happydance:

Not good for corals, you'll need to feed more. ;)

I've been spot feeding them 2x a week the day before I do water changes. All but one acro is growing very quickly and they are well colored with good PE, I don't think they need any more food.

Birdsnest collection came in today, barely. The packaging was pretty dismal:1/2 inch thick unsealed styrofoam inserts in a 6x6x6 box, not a complete sealed foam cooler, in the smallest amount of water I have yet to see a coral frag shipped in. There was a heat pack, which was still warm, however the water in the bags was 50*F because the styrofoam inserts provided very little R-value. Everyone of the frags was broken in multiple places since there was only some loosely wadded newspaper in the box for protection. I was happy that vendor delayed the shipment last week because it was really cold here --in the Island off the coast of Massachusetts. Luckily today was one of the warmer days we have had in the last few weeks and the box was received by 1pm, otherwise I would have ended up with 100$ worth of frag-cicles. This was very disappointing. This the first time I have bought from this company, I found them on EBAY with good reviews, however this may be the first EBAY transaction out of 100 that I won't be able to leave good feedback for. I am going to email the company and see what they say. I am not looking for a refund or replacement I just find it very irresponsible to ship live animals to the northeast with this kind of packaging.

I have purchased shipped orders from 4 other coral vendors in the past and have always received much better packaging. Maybe I have been spoiled from ordering from PacificEast which goes above and beyond with packaging. I will stick to ordering from PacificEast from now on.

Still waiting on the WP10. Its Probably on a ship headed through the panama canal by now. When it arrives my WP10 will be better traveled than I.

Broken Birdsnests are starting to regain some color and PE is good, so they should be ok. With that shipment I recieved an orange Rhodactis which was compleatly deflated. Inflated now, it is the most ridiculous fluorescent orange color I have ever seen. I can't even describe it. My iphone 4s camera was not built to capture light like that.

My Girlfriend worked as a photographer for a number of years, I am trying to get her to get her equipment back from her brother to take some real shots. So I can prove there are more colors in the tank besides purple and brown.

You didn't order from Mr Coral did you? :)

I am amazed and happy the birdsnest survived. They can be so resilient, and then die for no reason. For the longest time I could not keep them alive in my 40 ... now I can't kill them. Even when other SPS brown out due to a mistake the birds just keep going.

I have ordered numerous times from PEA, great place, great products, never any problems. I was also lucky enough to go to a local frag swap where one of their booths were set up. Great people, in this case a husband and wife team who works mid western shows for them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Beautiful orange rhodactis tore itself in half and melted not long after adding it to the tank. Bummer. Everything else including the birdnest damaged in shipping is doing quite well though.

The WP10 came in and has been in the tank for 5 days or so. It is suprisingly powerful for such a small powerhead. It makes a bit of noise on the random mode (else) when the pump speed modulates, which is to be expected, on constant or ramp modes it is very quiet. I really only notice any sound at night. There is so much more movement throughout the tank with the wp10 than there was with two koralia 425s. I highly recommend the product, you can not go wrong for the 60$ price tag.

I ordered the Wp10 from Fish Street which directly warrenties the pump and will send out replacment parts. It took only 5 days to ship from China.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Update! The tank has just turned 14 months old. It is still skimmerless and sumpless and doing great. In order to celebrate its success I am going to take the tank down.

Fluval Edge 12: 7/24/14

image_zps5f8eb7e9.jpg

image_zps6dda52ea.jpg

image_zps6281b5b2.jpg

image_zps727dbe05.jpg

Its contents are being added to a 34 gallon Low Iron rimless/framless Mr Aqua tank to give the corals some more room to grow.

Over the last few months, I have had to aggressivly frag corals to keep them from stining the shit out of eachother. However they are now growing much too quickly to keep up with.

Each of the three live rock pilars are one peice that can be lifted right out of the tank, coral and all. However I am going to have to cut the top of the tank off in order to remove them - I built [grew] a ship in a bottle. I do not plan to add any more rock to the new tank, just the three pilars; I want room for the staghorn acroporas to grow out.

I have innoculated 40 lbs of dry sand with sand from the DT and have it cycling in a bucket. I plan to fill the new tank with 24 gallons fresh salt water and 10 from the old tank. Then I am going to place in the pillars and add the new live sand sand as gently as possible. Hopefully the livestock doesn't mind too much.

The tank is going to stay all in one, no sump or skimmer. I have bought a Tunze Streamline intank filter, to run filter floss and carbon. I have also purchased a second WP10 for a possible 2500GPH of Flow. Even without a skimmer, the growth in the tank has been amazing and the colors are very good, though its hard to appreciate in the picture as I can only take pictues with my aging phone under white light only as you all have probably expereinced on your own. The tank has required minimal maintence, and I don't have to worry about issues with plumbing leaks or pump failures, clogged overflows, etc. I think for smaller tanks, the absence of a skimmer has it benefits; my frags have outgrown the same frags in the high-end ultra-low nutrient systems of my friends. Without a skimmer to remove them from the system, plankton proliferates very quickly in my tank and anyone who come to see it notices the quantity of sea bugs on my glass and the swarms in the low flow areas of the tank, which are definatley helping to feed the coral. As far as dissolved nutrients, I have had GHA pop up a few times in small spots but it was always proximal to an area of coral die back from being stung by neighboring corals, nothing the emerald crabs and turbo snail couldnt exponge after a few days, and rarely get algae growth on my glass. I plan on keeping the new tank stocked minimally so I don't push my luck running without a skimmer. In addition to the three fish I have I will likely add only two more, a tailspot blenny and possibly a flameback angel if it behaves itself.

I plan to gravity drip kalk to maintain calcium, Ph and act as a top-off, and continue doing two part manually as needed.

I also have upgraded to an AI hydra for a larger area of light spread and the benfits of additional spectra. I have been acclimating my corals to it over the last few weeks with great results.

The tank equipment has been purchased with redundancy in mind; two Wp10s, two undersized cobalt neotherm heaters, each on seperate circuits. The Tunze Streamline and one of the heaters will operate thorugh a battery backup incase of power failure.

It will be nice to have a larger tank to allow for growth and to give the fish some additioanl swimming space. However I am definatley going to miss the look of the fluval edge and the top-down view.

image_zps3ff144b9.jpg

I am really impressed with the AI hydra; it makes the Sol Nano look silly in comparison. The full spectrum brings out so much more florescence and chromogenic pigments.

Second WP10 arrived today. Now I am just waiting on the 3/4 inch acrylic sheet for the pedestal to float the tank on. If i didn't decide to be fancy the new tank could have been up and running a month ago. Hopefully it will be all done by this weekend.

Great tank! Are you starting a new build thread for the new tank or are you going to continue here? I'd love to see what you do with it. Following...

Archived