Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Current Sea of Love. (retired)

MarieH

Its moving right along. I see your sumping? cool beans. I'm thinking about a skimmer perhaps down the road but I'll keep an eye on your sump thang. I'm afraid of overflows and I would be afraid to go to work and leave it lol, but then the tank can leak whenever,,,umm knock on wood there lol, no wet floors!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple new things from yesterday, unfortunately I had to brake fast and the chalice fell to the floor, broke a piece off, hoping to save the little bit I glued it to a plug. No the eel stayed in the store :)

IMAG1256s

IMAG1255

IMAG1254s

Easy goes it, my little pink menace citron goby has done in my nice piece of millepora but I managed to save a tiny half inch frag and place it near where the badass tailspot blenny lives and where 'pink' will not go for fear of the 'badass' So hopefully it can survive next to my little green birdnest who's doing pretty well, nothing seems to phase it. Citron is quite cute tho and come to see me and doesn't fear my hand in the tank at all..other wise I would banish it to my ten gallon, but I've taken that one down, (making room for my 90g haha..just kidding..for now ;) ) Water changes Q7 days as prescribed. Coralline coming on slowly pink n red. All be good.

Its moving right along. I see your sumping? cool beans. I'm thinking about a skimmer perhaps down the road but I'll keep an eye on your sump thang. I'm afraid of overflows and I would be afraid to go to work and leave it lol, but then the tank can leak whenever,,,umm knock on wood there lol, no wet floors!

Took me 20 years of tanks before I had the nerve to sump one. Been a few weeks now and still first thing I do in the morning when I wake up is run to check there's no flood lol. I feel for ya ;)

Took me 20 years of tanks before I had the nerve to sump one. Been a few weeks now and still first thing I do in the morning when I wake up is run to check there's no flood lol. I feel for ya ;)

I get up and run anyway, once I had a dream I heard water gushing, got out of bed to find everything ok...imagine if I had a diy sump overflow? .. :rolleyes:

Wow, your tailspot, he's a meanie or does your citron just see it as menacing? And I love those corals you showed.

HI. No my blenny is jealous and territorial. He knows Pink the citron is taking away some of his thunder getting a bit of my attention I think.

Each has his own island while my cleaner shrimp referrees in the middle hanging in a cave. Its really funny. I decided sps go on the blenny side,, lps and some mushrooms and zoas for the other side. Pink does not venture into tailspot blenny territory, often, appears to prefer th opposite side of the tank so I believe my remaining piece of millepora might be ok. It appears Pink wants to host it, and was hanging out on the millepora to the point she wore away the skin to the skeleton. so I fragged off a wee bit, a half inch was all I could hope to save. Live n learn. No more sps for the next while or until I no longer have the goby in there. Live n learn.

Ah, that's cool that they've each claimed their own island. Until I get my rock and after cycling, I don't know if I'm doing 2 islands or 3: it'll depend on the rock. I currently have a tailspot and 6line which get a long beautifully. I'll be moving them into the 34 when it's time and then I'll find a new small fish for the Evo 8 again. Thinking of a Saddled Blenny that I saw on KP Aquatics site.

I get up and run anyway, once I had a dream I heard water gushing, got out of bed to find everything ok...imagine if I had a diy sump overflow? .. :rolleyes:

Oh I had that same dream - woke in a panic only to find hubby had left the bathroom tap running hahahaha

I could not be more pleased with the simplicity of this tank and how its cruising along. Very happy to have took my cue from Felicia and her July 2013 tank of the month. I have followed it almost to the letter. I am using aquaclear 50 with gfo and floss and chemipure elite. Really no issues with the water, had some briposis but gfo took care of it within the week. My little fuge is growing chaeto and pods, and some Purple coralline growing on the pump, tiny birdnest frag has great p.e. and growing fast. All in all things are cruising. I saw a starry blenny that melted my heart... But I am trying to decide if I want to wait and get a mandarin or pair after a few months, maybe springtime. Or coincidentally with my p^re-retirement which is coming up in Februalry, a reduced work wek of 4 days for me YAY! Yoga classes, photography and maybe painting in my future. Maybe a bigger reef..always wanted a keyhole or yellow tang :)

Perhaps.. maybe. For now its all good. Im still young yet..tankwise.. anyway.

Took a few shot of the new clowns, cannot figure if there ocellaris or percula, One is a misbar, the large of th two, the color is deep and rich. Might be percula dunno

I'm so glad to hear your tank is doing so well Marie! I'd love to see a new FTS! I'm also so flattered you're modeling it after my tank :) Before long its going to look even better than mine, I'm sure!

I'm so glad to hear your tank is doing so well Marie! I'd love to see a new FTS! I'm also so flattered you're modeling it after my tank :) Before long its going to look even better than mine, I'm sure!

No it won't look better lol. !!!

Its not easy to get the corals you guys have access to. Much more pricey for me, and I'm working on a limited budget, but if it looks pretty that's all good with me. I buy as I can afford, but its always small frags so this is going to be a loooong process.

My clown male ate from my fingers today, but now I have a towel on my head now they are hiding and peeking at me from behind the rock..silly things. :) But kind of smart too lol :)

fts

I opted for under exposure

led shot, really hard to find a balance under this light oh well, like I said not much to see at the moments lol

I opted for under exposure

led shot, really hard to find a balance under this light oh well, like I said not much to see at the moments lol

Looks awesome! I think your rockscape is very similar to Felicia's too...from what I can remember. You have great taste. :D

Looks awesome! I think your rockscape is very similar to Felicia's too...from what I can remember. You have great taste. :D

thank you, I was inspired by Felicia and having the 30g breeder and already a few pieces like the aquaclear filter, it seemed a logical thing to follow her build and I admired her simple but sure filtration method, that works!

thank you, I was inspired by Felicia and having the 30g breeder and already a few pieces like the aquaclear filter, it seemed a logical thing to follow her build and I admired her simple but sure filtration method, that works!

I'm definitely looking forward to watching your reef grow. :)

I'm watching!

but its kind of like watching paint dry lol. I have to keep the costs down, I'm not counting how much I have spent between the 10g and this one. I have to take a financial break at least until next pay :blink: I figure I could have went back to Cuba for what I have spent on this tank and its still kind of empty lol.

Some scapes take a bit to get used to. Not yours. An automaric A+. I really like it, it's like a mountain range with various peaks.

I love that new FTS! Gorgeous! I guess I'm probably partial to your rock scape since it looks a lot like mine :D Seriously, I'm very flattered that you liked mine enough to do something similar! You are doing such a great job so far.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being on a budget and taking it slow! Most of my stuff was small frags and it takes a long time to get all grown in like mine is now, but its fun to watch the process :)

This was mine just a couple months after I started it, and you can see its just a bunch of tiny frags. Some of those tiny frags are huge colonies now! So your stuff will fill in before you know it! :)

IMG_0030_1.jpg

So encouraging, thank you. Part of all this is the encouragement I have found here from the nanoreef site, and inspiration too,. There's no point doing this unless there's some kind of cameraderie to share it. Most of the people I know go "fish tank?' umm ya ok lol :) They don't get it.

I love that new FTS! Gorgeous! I guess I'm probably partial to your rock scape since it looks a lot like mine :D Seriously, I'm very flattered that you liked mine enough to do something similar! You are doing such a great job so far.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being on a budget and taking it slow! Most of my stuff was small frags and it takes a long time to get all grown in like mine is now, but its fun to watch the process :)

This was mine just a couple months after I started it, and you can see its just a bunch of tiny frags. Some of those tiny frags are huge colonies now! So your stuff will fill in before you know it! :)

IMG_0030_1.jpg

looks kind of awesome to me lol :)

I don't think most people will "get it" unless they have one. They can say, pretty tank but that's about it. My younger sister started saltwater in 2009 and she'd send pics and I'm like, "ok.". Didn't understand what the deal was. Now I do. Other hobbies I have like crocheting, just aren't matching up, I would though like to crochet an octopus winter hat or something. Have to find a pattern.

Killed 2 aiptasia with lime juice and syringe. Silly cleaner shrimp likes lime juice..nom nom. OK. Found a local reefer with frags for sale, may pay a visit next weekend, don't want no nasties tho.. I shall see. w/c today, tank is coloring up and everything doing well, I have increased feeding and corals seem to be liking it. Hoping the water remains stable.

Archived