Top Shelf Aquatics

Farm raised Blue Squamosa Clams

ZephNYC

Finally the truth is out about the recent influx of these so called "insanely rare blue squamosa clams". The first time I saw one was at my local LFS (Manhattan aquarium ). It was 4 inches and they wanted $600. Which is actually an average price considering these clams USED TO BE super rare. But shortly aflter that they began popping up all over the place. Now they are actually around often enough that I don't feel they can even be called "rare" anymore. But why ? Have the divers just stumbled upon a secret oasis of rare Tridacnid clams? In conversation with Dr. Mac of Pacific East Aquaculture, he expressed his opinion to me that he "suspects" these clams are farm grown because, well, there are just too many of them around, and they look "different" then the wild rare blue Squammies we have seen over the years. I suspected he was correct, and life went on. Its about a year later now and after heavy investigation the truth is out!!

So my friend JediMaster1138 calls me one night and says " Did you see those really cool aquacultured Blue Squamosa clams on Divers den ?"

I said " yea...I just bought one!!! " They had two available. I took one and he took the other. The next morning I was on the phone for 2 hours with LA trying t get to the bottom of the origin of these clams, and here it is...and if youre a clam fanatic like us, this is BIG BIG NEWS!!!

These clams are farm raised at the world famous MMDC farms in Palau. Tthe Micronisian Mariculture Display Center. These guys have been the leaders of clam farming since the early 80's, but I havnt heard a peep from them in over 5 years. They are turning out these awesome blue Squammies by the truck load. So many that the price has come way way down, and 2 inch specimens are now going for well under $200.

Whats even more impressive is that these clams come attached to a frag tile!!! Like an actual aquacultured frag. We have never seen that anywhere before - ever.

So here are the pics...

THis one is mine.

dsc1242ea.jpg

And here is the one JediMaster1138 purchased

joessquammy.jpg

What is even more exciting for me is I made a wonderful contact over at the MMDC farms who does not mind me picking his brain about their culture methods. I told them not worry, and that when I start farming clams in my basement I will stay away from the blue squamosas.

....or will I ?

MAAUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

icedearth15324

That's really awesome. Haven't looked into them too much, but how hard are Squamosas to keep compared to like Deresas or Maximas?

It definitely looks awesome.

Squamosas are the second easiest to keep, next to Deresa clams. Also the fact that these are indeed farm raised makes them about 50% hardier then any wild captured clam. Did you PM me with a question ? If I did not get back to you I apologize. I was banned from NR for a short while and lost track.

icedearth15324

I did, my clam has since attached to the substrate and is no longer moving, so it must have found its happy place.

Nice to see you back though.

jedimaster1138

Awesome info as usual from Zeph. I hope that company keeps churning out the smexy clams. I still have that spot for a maxima later :)

I moved my squammie to a different spot late last night. He's much happier there. Less getting his mantle whipped around by the Vortech undertow, and more direct light as there is a cluster right over head (though I still have it at waaaaaaaay less than max power). I agree completely about tile that these ones come mounted too. My clam was on his side (and then his head) in the shipping bag and he still had an iron grip on the tile. So clearly he likes it. I attribute this to the porous nature of the tile. You can see it Zeph's pictures. My theory is that the byssal threads can get into the various nooks and crannies of the tile and really lock on.

I need to learn how to take less horrible pictures :)

Awesome info as usual from Zeph. I hope that company keeps churning out the smexy clams. I still have that spot for a maxima later :)

I moved my squammie to a different spot late last night. He's much happier there. Less getting his mantle whipped around by the Vortech undertow, and more direct light as there is a cluster right over head (though I still have it at waaaaaaaay less than max power). I agree completely about tile that these ones come mounted too. My clam was on his side (and then his head) in the shipping bag and he still had an iron grip on the tile. So clearly he likes it. I attribute this to the porous nature of the tile. You can see it Zeph's pictures. My theory is that the byssal threads can get into the various nooks and crannies of the tile and really lock on.

I need to learn how to take less horrible pictures :)

Thats exactly it. Their bisal threads, at that age, are literally threads, like fishing line, and about as strong. Mine is up on the frag rack only inches from the surface and even more open today. Mouth is nice and tight too. No indication of gaping. They're a sweet electric blue arent they ??? Niceeeeeeee.

jedimaster1138

Here's a top down of my squammie, complete with firefish photobomb. lol I'll post some other top downs in my thread later when I crop em up.

overheadsquammieandfirefishSMALLER_zpsc0

Zeph, do you get most of your clams online or in stores? I havent really had luck with shipments this winter. I'm only a couple of hours away from NYC and im thinking about making the drive if there are good selections in the area. Last 2 clams I got from a vendor didnt quite make it. They did not ship well. :(

eddiecorrea

Oh yea ? sweet.

Don't say it has never been done if it has been done then. haha

Don't say it has never been done if it has been done then. haha

LOL! It was the first I ever saw thats for sure, but I never purchased from MarineDepotLive before. Marine DepotLive was a defunct establishment that flopped, but looks like it has returned. My guess is their clams are coming from the Palau farms as well.

Zeph, do you get most of your clams online or in stores? I havent really had luck with shipments this winter. I'm only a couple of hours away from NYC and im thinking about making the drive if there are good selections in the area. Last 2 clams I got from a vendor didnt quite make it. They did not ship well. :(

Oh I buy clams EVERYWHERE! Of course I do have my favorite spots but far prefer to see them in person beforehand of course, so I am noturiously known for making long distance, out of state ROAD TRIPS!!!!! for the excuse of purchaseing clams and partying =)

For Maximas - Pacific East aquaculture - HANDS DOWN! Very good prices and if you can visit his facility you would never go any place else. Its well worth the road trip from NYC. Live aquaria is on top of the list but their prices are becoming insulting. Dr. Mac gets better maximas for half the price. The only thing I love about LA is the 14 day guarantee, but Dr. mac will work with you on a loss. Perhaps not a 100% refund, but he tries to be nice. I would trust ordering in any season from those two vendors. I had clams arriving all winter long...one large squamosa from LA got stuck at fed ex for 2 days because of damage and was to be returned, but I said bring it here anyway. The bag had exploded and the 8 inch clam was in about 1 inch of freezing cold water. I didnt even acclimate it, I just through it the QT tank and guess what it did ? it immediately spawned and is doing fine.

spawn2r.jpg

Manhattan Aquariums here in the city gets in nice clams from time to time, but nothing dependable and probably not really worth a road trip. I guess i should say that I get %80 of all my clams from LA or Dr. Mac. I should also add the BlueZOO is top of my list for crocea clams when they have them. They sell out quickly but get in grade A Croceas for around $50 and they are very good. I hear good things about MarineDepotLive these days, but have no experience with them.

Those are the places I thought you would say. LA was a good experience. It was wysiwyg and the shipping fast, and packaging was great which I think is the key. Pacific east seem to have larger maximas, and i've been wondering about the dr. Mac pick sale. Ive always gone wysiwyg but I feel that all his clams are all super grade green, teal, or blue and cant really go wrong.

Dr. Mac has the healthiest Maximas I have ever seen. by FAR the # 1 source. Also soon he will be posting smaller aquacultured Maximas, which will blow your mind.

icedearth15324

Dr. Mac has the healthiest Maximas I have ever seen. by FAR the # 1 source. Also soon he will be posting smaller aquacultured Maximas, which will blow your mind.

When I upgrade my tank I definitely plan on getting another clam. Either a maxima or a crocea.

When I upgrade my tank I definitely plan on getting another clam. Either a maxima or a crocea.

Try to stick with farm raised/cultured clams. The survival rate is far better and it helps support the proper venues of this industry. Dr. Mac will soon be carrying cultured clams. As for LA I really like their Venuatu aquacultured Maximas - very hardy as far as clams go.

Archived