Coral Vue Hydros

Jims temperate pico

fullmonti

Thanks & sure this can be shared. I don't really need anything for this little tank right now though.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I broadcast feed cyclops and or baby brine shrimp once or twice a day & when I feed the goby mini mysis I spot feed the larger nems some too, almost every day.

Jim

brandon429

that may be the best currently running pico reef in the world. due to rarity.

nps and coldwater is too rare for me to see in person, and i can see packed picos for tropical corals all day long. i must set aside a special place for a 3 yr span coldwater tank as thats totally new territory compared to the tropical ones we see

Thanks! That's pretty high praise.

I have had SPS & NPS (filter feeders) tanks & I have to admit, cold water is by far the easiest to care for. The acrylic tanks & chillers are a bit of a pain but the rest is so doable.

brandon429

I saw the first posts of this tank first week on both here and rc, my first thought was exactly:

Longevity test upcoming

Can't wait for a few yrs

Few yrs came

And was thinking: I can't wait to see how classic pico reef waste accumulation and eutrophication takes place at highly reduced bacterial metabolism due to cold suppression

36 mos is longevity test passed, there are probably only 5 I know of across all forums currently running at your specific size, none are cold water picos, thats the specifics on rarity I was hinting about. Many have the cold water and or tropical reef type picos, but 36 mos is quite a cutoff point we still see where pure balance is shown but also improvement on the anems/corals, not a mass reduction by animals wasting away, positive biomass addition is indeed a hallmark. Few get past 18 mos w either type of tank

Yours has no lifespan limits as its not accumulating crud, waste, showing signs of imbalance, and lastly solid hardware planning must be consistent

No cooler fails in that long is also good hardware integr. these animals are unattainable for people near Amarillo tx unless we are shipping in the winter without cold packs and thats so unique for any pico lol. This should be an indefinite lifespan pico biosystem and there aren't many nowadays. I know others might vote their best based on shocking aquascapes or coral layouts but my vote only starts at old tanks who preserved their coral loads and grew more. Any former tank of the month that is no longer here loses my vote.

Yours and maritzas work fit the bill for both sides of the pico reef temp range

WOW never really thought about all that. I did notice when this little tank finally got stable. Took months if not most of a year but then no more cloudy water cycle from bacterial blooms. Since then just been feeding & doing 1gal WC every couple weeks. Clean the pumps & filter good about once a month. Think if I wanted to keep a shrimp or two would need to go back to a WC every week.

I have thought about doing a larger cold water tank but am semi/mostly retired now & don't have the money I once had for my hobbies. Would be nice to be able to keep more fish though.

Thanks

Jim

brandon429

Your tanks bacterial metabolism is totally different, thats fascinating. waste generated in your tank doesnt drop the oxygen or acid index like it does in warm, bacteria hungry tanks, it takes longer to degrade and decompose into detritus powder and before that time you are prob exporting it. more pre breakdown time.

The temps already select against some of the normal heterotrophic mixed aerobic bacteria we carry in tropical tanks. our biological oxygen demand is waaaaaaay above a coldwater tank, from the bacteria collectively and -then- the other higher order animals. amazing

your system carries better oxygen in most all conditions vs our tanks.

You obviously know way more about the how & why biology & chemistry than I. I Just try & lean what is needed & figure out the best way I can provide it. Some times you get lucky & get it just right.

I have thought about trying to sell this little tank, but no one any were near me even knows what a cold water tank is. I have a really big terrarium where my old 180 fish tank once was. that tank is the 800lb gorilla now.

FTS%203-1-15_zps44jwtqmv.jpg

latest FTS of it

You obviously know way more about the how & why biology & chemistry than I. I Just try & lean what is needed & figure out the best way I can provide it. Some times you get lucky & get it just right.

I have thought about trying to sell this little tank, but no one any were near me even knows what a cold water tank is. I have a really big terrarium where my old 180 fish tank once was. that tank is the 800lb gorilla now.

latest FTS of it

THIS IS AMAZING! :o

• 3 weeks later...

latest FTS of it

would love to see more of that

HarryPotter

latest FTS of it

Holy Cr** thats awesome!

How are you filtering the water? Is that an overflow I spy on the back?

Yes on the overflow. I used the filter system from the days when a 180 planted discus tank sat in this space. Way over kill for this but already had it. Paludariums are my favorite kind of tank now. Combines my love of plants & fish, with some retiles to boot.

Here is a link to the build thread. It's pretty long but can skip though & just look at the photos.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/133898-jims-display-paludarium-my-first.html

• 1 month later...

Yes, they are fat & lazy. I lost a couple but they only live a two or three years & you don't know how old they are when you get them so think it was just their time.

• 5 months later...

Another FTS, used a strobe this time so better detail. The colors are nicer with the tank light but better detail with a flash. As you can tell some nems will move around.

coldwater%20FTS%202016_zpsgnirib05.jpg

We are making some changes at the house so will being trying to sell this tank. I will post it in the classifieds but thought I would tell everyone here so if anybody knows some one that might like to have a small complete cold water tank already setup with livestock let me know. It would not need to be broken down & could be moved full if it was a pickup & not shipped.

Jim

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Another FTS, used a strobe this time so better detail. The colors are nicer with the tank light but better detail with a flash. As you can tell some nems will move around.

coldwater%20FTS%202016_zpsgnirib05.jpg

We are making some changes at the house so will being trying to sell this tank. I will post it in the classifieds but thought I would tell everyone here so if anybody knows some one that might like to have a small complete cold water tank already setup with livestock let me know. It would not need to be broken down & could be moved full if it was a pickup & not shipped.

Jim

I absolutely love your system! :)

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts.

It is sad to part with this but nothing is forever & this way someone else will get the chance to enjoy it in their home (I hope). I'll be posting another build thread before too long.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts.

It is sad to part with this but nothing is forever & this way someone else will get the chance to enjoy it in their home (I hope). I'll be posting another build thread before too long.

Jim

With every death there is a rebirth and that simply is called evolution.... :)

Archived