Cultivated Reef

Jims temperate pico

fullmonti

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

This tank designed by Jim inspired me to build the Vertical Edge on our site!

Thanks,

Mike G

Thanks Mike. Looks like your new tank will be a great addition to the hobby!!!

I finally have a bunch of new photos but it's too late to post them tonight so will be up tomorrow.

Jim

This tank designed by Jim inspired me to build the Vertical Edge on our site!

Thanks,

Mike G

Do you have any plans to maybe build one with similar dimensions to Jim's? Maybe wide enough that two Iceprobes fit on the bottom of the filter area. I guess it could be pretty much the same as your Vertical edge but maybe 8"-10" wide so two Iceprobes fit.

What are the dimensions of your vessel? It is incredible.

Thanks, It is about 32-36" wide & 16-18" tall. Now if the economy would improv maybe art would start to sell again. Pretty much like everything I guess.

OK new pix time.

_MG_5713CustomName1_zps3cfb3d83.jpg

_MG_5715CustomName1_zps2d911d88.jpg

The stand is just a 12" top kitchen cabinet, stained with a piece of granite on top.

All the next photos are taken with an off camera flash to bring out better detail & eliminate subject & camera movement.

_MG_5730CustomName_zps686ca3f5.jpg

White & red/orange Plumose babies. I have come to the conclusion Plumose nems are the weeds of the cold water world.

_MG_5702CustomName_zps22510d6e.jpg

Had to get a closeup!

_MG_5733CustomName_zps04f634af.jpg

More plumose with babies & my Snakelocks nem flowing in the current. Love the snakelocks, he has grown quite a lot.

_MG_5732CustomName_zps214058af.jpg

More flowing in the current.

_MG_5658CustomName_zpsb30f1329.jpg

Snakelocks eating. The long tentacles catch a bunch of food, guess that's why he has grown so much.

_MG_5663CustomName1_zps257c03ac.jpg

_MG_5723CustomName_zps864b8f70.jpg

_MG_5639CustomName_zpsb26a978e.jpg

Strawberries & Jewel nems.

_MG_5652CustomName_zps42205bc9.jpg

Just a gang of Strawberries.

Think there is a limit of how many photos in one post? Another post to follow.

More pix

_MG_5667CustomName_zps02a38722.jpg

Finally got a shot of the Porcelain Crab catching his lunch. They are very shy.

_MG_5657CustomName_zpsba4d6b8f.jpg

Small some what obnoxious hermit. He makes is living stealing food from the nems. I guess he does also clean up leftovers.

_MG_5642CustomName_zps4c539bdf.jpg

Have three little shrimp.

_MG_5653CustomName_zps678d1a1a.jpg

Redfoot snail & pods. This is the only snail in the tank. Not much for them to eat so one seems plenty.

_MG_5653CustomName1_zps628210fb.jpg

Have a good batch of pods working (cropped in from overall shot)

_MG_5701CustomName_zpscc171c4f.jpg

Tiny Tubeworm. So tiny was really hard getting a good shot of it.

_MG_5651CustomName1_zps6391dbcf.jpg

Small Moonglow nem. The color with flash Is not as nice as with the LEDs, think its the UV in the LED light.

_MG_5647CustomName_zps473008e8.jpg

The Green Surf nem actually looks pretty good with flash. I wedged him in this little spot between the rock & return line because he wasn't attaching well when he first went in. I figured he would move to a better spot, but no he is staying. He is blocking some of the flow sometimes.

_MG_5660CustomName_zpsa85dc4c8.jpg

Red Beadlet, love this guy. But he only stays open when there is food in the water, like now.

OK that's all the photos for now.

I thought the forum had a limit on how many photos per post. But maybe that was another website?

Good night all

Jim

AquaticEngineer

Those are freaking awesome pics!! The growth rate on your nems is amazing!

Totally sharing these on facebook now!

Thanks guys

Stu knew you'd like the photos. The little tank makes getting good pix easier. Wish there was some one around here that had a cold water tank, I'm going to have to start taking some Plumose babies out or they will take over.

Thanks for the great livestock. Only wish I had room for more, especially a open water swimming fish. But I like the little tank. I once had a 180 gal sps tank & loved it but can't afford something like that any more. I converted it to fresh water & was very nice till the tank started leaking. Found a home for the fish & I'm in the slow process of building a large terrarium with the same footprint. It will actually have 10" of water in the bottom & be 48" tall with a large stump in the middle. It will have fish, tree frogs & a pair of geckos. I'll post a link when I start a build thread on it.

Jim

Those are freaking awesome pics!!

Yeah, those photos look professional. Actually, I'm guessing they are. If they aren't, then they need to hire themselves out as a professional photographer.

Actually I am a commercial photographer. These aren't really professional photos just extra nice snapshots. Does save a lot of time to have some experience with where the light might be best. The commercial photography business has really taken it in the shorts the last few years. So much advertising is on line & doesn't need as good of quality so many times people just shoot the photos them selves. Other things too but everyones job has there own issues.

Beautiful job on the photos!

I love marine tanks but photography is my passion especially marine photography. I can see I need to set up a temperate tank on my desk at home and I think yours is ideal.

though I will probably use 1/2" acrylic instead of one inch.

Mike

Loving photography is how it starts. Do you spend all your money on camera gear? If your like me, at some point you'll have to find a way to make a living doing photography. If your lucky & find a way to pull it off it's a great way to go.

And Thanks, Hope you don't mind my ramblings about photography, I started as a full blown maniac & was lucky.

Jim

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Jim,

Your tank is a total inspiration to me, like I mentioned earlier! Our vetical/edge is the smallest cold water on the market guaranteed to keep 55 F degrees.

I can make the larger one like yours but many reefers want me to incoporate the two chillers below.

The only problem to that is the exhaust vents cannot mix or they do not work as efficient. So, I am trying to find a divider that will allow them to be below away from view.

Looking at your new photos, your tank is so much more larger than our Vertical/Edge temperate pico!

Your photos are amazing!

I'm glued to your thread!

MG

If you used 2 iceprobes would you make it a 3gal tank? If so let me know I maybe have a way to do it.

Jim

If you meant me then yes. I really like the dimensions of yours. As I recall the interior dimensions of your display are 8" wide, 6" front to back, and 12" high water level for 2.5 gallons of volume (less rock, substrate, etc.) in the display area plus whatever the back holds. Based on you needing two Iceprobes I thought I would need the same. I would prefer not to have one mounted on the top just to keep it out of the way.

Sorry for the hijack. Hopefully this info will help others too.

Mike

Loving photography is how it starts. Do you spend all your money on camera gear? If your like me, at some point you'll have to find a way to make a living doing photography. If your lucky & find a way to pull it off it's a great way to go.

And Thanks, Hope you don't mind my ramblings about photography, I started as a full blown maniac & was lucky.

Jim

Yes I do though I am pretty well set now for camera gear. I've also had reef tanks for 9 years and am really interested in starting a temperate tank.

I think temperate tanks are perfect for desk top. They need only enough light for viewing, so not much in the way of algae , so not a lot of maintenance, feed once a day or less even. Easy?

What do you think about more or less the same dimensions as my tank but turned on its side??? It could be 12" long & 8" tall, mount the iceprobes one on each end of the back chamber instead top & bottom. Would have to take some measurements & maybe do a drawing but think it could be worked out.

Jim

I will think about it. I really like the dimensions and smaller footprint for the desk though. If it was a traditional tank I would like your suggestion for more swimming room.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Vertical is the way to go for an office desktop. Ours is tiny cute with only one probe.

I am working on a 4 gallon for a reefer that wants to incorporate 2 ice probes.

Jim what volume is yours and is it holding good yemps?

Archived