Cultivated Reef

"The Two Towers" 62G SPS Starfire Reef (Rebooted)

JDigital

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a piece of advice.

Ditch that cheap home depot valve. Get a good one. Your fingers will thank you later.

Mine got so hard to turn I literally had to have help, someone had to hold the upper pipe so I didn't crack the bulk head while I turned it with a pipe wrench slowly, completely absurd.

Thanks for the advise, but that ball vale will actually be "set and forget" to control low flow into the Refuge.. It's hard to see, but I have a KBI Gate valve inline before that T to control my Herbie flow. I've always used this brand gate valve with no issues. :)

Ah I see it, those are good I have one on my return.

Those lowes / HD valves are horrible. I always say something when I see them, try to save people from my mistakes.

Guess we will have to race to see who gets their tank wet first omgomgomg

:lol: I haven't check your thread in a bit.. but I'd already put money on you. I'm easily a month away from water, possibly longer depending on when I can afford my RO unit. No RO, No H2O. :happy:
:lol: I haven't check your thread in a bit.. but I'd already put money on you. I'm easily a month away from water, possibly longer depending on when I can afford my RO unit. No RO, No H2O. :happy:

Hah, guess i have a head start since I have had other tanks in the house.

I still don't have a stand though =/

I'm like 2-3 weeks out I think.

How did you fill your office tank?

With the RO I have installed at the office, which was paid for by the company I work for, along with everything else in that build. ;) In other words, it's not mine to use for my personal tank at home. Uninstalling it and bringing it home is not an option, nor do I want to do that. :)

I will be buying an RO unit for my house.

What is the purpose of the glass overhang on the main tank?

Fab design.

It's called a eurobrace. It is like the black rim you would see on a standard tank. It keeps it the tank from bowing when it is filled with water.

Why don't u just fill some buckets and lug it back home for now until u get one, it sucks but u can get a head start

Because I'm not going to have my company pay for an extra 100G of water on the monthly bill. I'm not really concerned about a head start. I'm not done plumbing yet anyways, so I have no need to fill. Water will be the LAST thing to get added to this system. :)

It's called a eurobrace. It is like the black rim you would see on a standard tank. It keeps it the tank from bowing when it is filled with water.

Thanks Marteen. :) It also helps to keep water from spilling over the edge of the tank when I'm clean the glass. :lol:

Thanks pschom! I'll have to take a peak at your BC. :)

Slowly adding parts to this build.

Picked up some Seafloor Special Grade substrate (crushed coral style) and 1 of my 2 MP10wES powerheads.

Nothing interesting otherwise. Going to try and finish up my plumbing tomorrow.

Powerhead and Pizza!

mp10-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

A man's gotta eat. :lol:

I actually got a good portion of the "Power Center" installed last. Water will be the last thing to go in this tank because as soon as I start consuming the extra utilities (electric and water) is when I have to start covering the extra cost on rent. I'd rather use that extra cash each month to keep the build rolling along. B)

I'll get some pics up tonight of what I got done last night. :)

Good reasoning.

If this is lighted with LED it really won't draw that much power =).

I went a different route, I wanted to get water in the tank so it could start maturing ASAP, I am getting my MP10's and apex in the coming months.

What are you going to stock fish wise? Are you keeping a top on it?

Oh and your roommate sounds like a stickler :P When I told my roommates I was building a new tank they were like OMG MORE FKN FISH omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

I'm bouncing back and forth between LEDs and T5. I could probably get a ATI Sunpower 6x39W unit for $450, 2x AI Sols are gonna run me 700+tax + Controller. Plus I'm not completely sold on LEDs yet except for the power consumption (or lack of)

I've already got my Reef Keeper unit, 1x MP10. So I'm ahead of the game there I suppose. I'm not too concerned on maturing this as fast as possible.

Fish list is stick up in the air. Couple ideas so far include:

Leopard Wrasse

Tahitian Butterflyfish

Lemonpeel Angel OR Flame Angel

Yasha Goby w/ Pistol Shrimp

Roommate loves looking at saltwater tanks and has even made a couple videos for friends in the hobby, he was more concerned with water damage if the tank fails as the place we live in is HIS place, not mine. haha

I can say I have used T5 and LED. Go with the LED.

Just build your own DIY fixture, use the makers heatsink, looks amazing and you can modify the color to your liking.

The one downside to LED is color mixing, but with the 3up leds and DIY you can get exactly what you want.

I've built 3 fixtures now and honestly I prefer my LED fixture to my 6 bulb ATI that I own. Not even a contest on par / growth.

I would say this though, if your not going to DIY your led, get the t5. If you are ok with DIY then go LED.

I have never liked any LED fixture i have seen except DIY & ecotechs

Very nice build, I'm really loving that external overflow box. My trapezoid overflow box takes up so much room in the aquarium that I am actually considering an external overflow for my next tank.

When you have a moment, can you please post a picture of how the overflow teeth plate is mounted to the aquarium? Thanks!

Dan

I can say I have used T5 and LED. Go with the LED.

Just build your own DIY fixture, use the makers heatsink, looks amazing and you can modify the color to your liking.

The one downside to LED is color mixing, but with the 3up leds and DIY you can get exactly what you want.

I've built 3 fixtures now and honestly I prefer my LED fixture to my 6 bulb ATI that I own. Not even a contest on par / growth.

I would say this though, if your not going to DIY your led, get the t5. If you are ok with DIY then go LED.

I have never liked any LED fixture i have seen except DIY & ecotechs

I'm not sure I really know enough about LEDs to start doing DIY builds (not that I don't have the skills). If you don't mind me asking, what did your DIY LED build cost you? (feel free to PM)

I have always been a fan of MH. Never had anything but MHs, unfortunately this house gets too warm in the summer to have them so I am forced to go T5 or LED. Lighting will probably be the last thing I end up buying for this build.

Decisions Decisions...

Very nice build, I'm really loving that external overflow box. My trapezoid overflow box takes up so much room in the aquarium that I am actually considering an external overflow for my next tank.

When you have a moment, can you please post a picture of how the overflow teeth plate is mounted to the aquarium? Thanks!

Dan

Thanks Dan. This is the first tank I've had with an external overflow and it is really nice having the full open area of the tank. I guess my only complaint with it is that due to the tight space that this tank sits in having the tank tighter to the wall would have been nice, but it's still not to bad.

As for the overflow teeth, I will get you a photo, but I'll explain it as well. It is a sheet of black acrylic the full width of the tank (inside dimension) and about 1/3 of the height and is siliconed to the inside of the back glass, then to keep it uniformly black all the way to the bottom, a sheet of black vinyl wrap was applied to the back glass on the outside starting just about where the acrylic ends.

We'll see how it works out, this is my first style of overflow/teeth (usually have used eggcrate on other builds).

I would be glad to help you with LED questions. I am no genius but I am up to date on the "standard" configuration nowadays.

On my tank I re-used some old LED's

For your tank your looking at

32RB

16NW

14TV

6OCW

That would be 16 3 up RB/NW @ $11.00

14TV @ $4.50

6OCW @ $6.88

5 inventronics 40w drivers @ $32.50

AC plugs / pots / wire @ ~$40.00

Heatsink (regular / makers 24") @ ~$70.00 - $100.00

Assorted BS you will need @ $50.00

Your looking at between $550 - $650. That is for a top notch fixture. Huge par (mine puts out 1200 1" under surface, and 400 at sand bed running @ 70%)

Way more than my 6 bulb sunpower does. No bulb replacements and the whole thing draws 204w

You can also skip the pots and hook it up directly to your apex for dimming, no controller needed.

You could get away with less stars but this gives you a nice strong 24" panel and then if you ever upgrade in the future you can just build a 2nd 24" panel =)

Archived