Innovative Marine Aquariums

First Reef tank Progress and Help thread

ny300z

Whats up guys, my names Nick

So after years of being interested in a tank and then recently being hooked on fish tank kings haha, i decided to literally start small with a pico reef tank.

After a few weeks of lurking here i went out and bought the Aqueon Evolve 4 (4g)

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Evolve-LED-Aq...s/dp/B006OMKMTM

Set up on June 13th- 1 week ago tomorrow

Added Sand, 3lbs of live fiji rock and pre mixed salt water from the LFS.

Ammonia and Nitrite have been at 0 every day

I have been doing a TON of searching and reading every newbie thread on here to minimize questions but bare with me since this is completely new to me.

I plan on posting pics of the progress in the next day or two but i have a quick question so i dont mess anything up.

Do i keep the filter media cartridge that came with the tank in there? (plain white drop in filter)

I only ask because after reading for weeks i just for the first time saw someone say they should remove it and have nothing at all as a filter??

Could this be slowing down the process of cycling the tank since i left it in?

And if i should take it out, what should i have in there?

thanks and great site, tons of info and some of you guys are crazy with the reef setups you have! love it

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats up guys, my names Nick
:welcome: Nick!

Do i keep the filter media cartridge that came with the tank in there? (plain white drop in filter)
I'm not sure what is included in the filter. You should rinse mechanical filter media (like sponges) at least once a week. Activated carbon should be replaced every couple of weeks. It's usually best to remove additional biological media.

I only ask because after reading for weeks i just for the first time saw someone say they should remove it and have nothing at all as a filter??
That's possible, but some mechanical and chemical filtration can be helpful.

Could this be slowing down the process of cycling the tank since i left it in?
Not really. Although I wouldn't let the biological filter get too established. If you used cured (established) live rock from a local store, you probably won't see an ammonia spike. If you don't see an ammonia spike in another week, the cycle is basically established for the current (small) bioload. Add livestock a little at a time.

And if i should take it out, what should i have in there?
Take out the biological filter media now (as live rock is your biological filter).

I'd probably replace the mechanical filter media with some cheap poly-fil pillow stuffing from Walmart's craft department (make sure it doesn't say fire retardant). Then just replace the suffing (filter floss) every week.

For chemical filter media, I'd get some good activated carbon and put it in a media bag. I'd replace it every week or two.

wow thanks a lot for taking the time to answer each of my questions.

I was completely lost when it came to filtration for a salt water tank!

As for the poly-fil pillow stuffing, i just kinda put in a handful in the filter area? loose? sorry if thats a dumb question.

and the carbon media....that just goes into a media bag and sits in the filtration area as well?

The live rock i purchased from the LFS was cured i believe. will double check today. I plan on staying patient for another week or and then maybe add the CUC and maybe a small coral.

Yeah for the poly-fil, I just put it wherever I can in the back. It's great at catching all the loose debris. Make sure to change it periodically, though. I change mine every week when I do my water change.

Yeah for the poly-fil, I just put it wherever I can in the back. It's great at catching all the loose debris. Make sure to change it periodically, though. I change mine every week when I do my water change.

great thanks, i got something to do on lunch today!

theres no need to worry that i havent had much "action" yet right? no changes in the water or live rock that i can notice and no algae growing on the sand or anything.

im sure i just gotta stay patient.

PICS!

First Day setup - 6/13/12

imgp2043s.jpg

imgp2023.jpg

imgp2036z.jpg

imgp2033a.jpg

imgp2063b.jpg

tiny clam/oyster? or just a shell haha

imgp2035j.jpg

Day 3- Feather duster right?

imgp2027.jpg

1 week old- this morning

imgp2114h.jpg

imgp2112n.jpg

imgp2119.jpg

Sponge thing that looks like its gonna come off the rock eventually

imgp2116ml.jpg

imgp2123.jpg

Deleted User 3
PICS!

First Day setup - 6/13/12

imgp2043s.jpg

imgp2023.jpg

imgp2036z.jpg

imgp2033a.jpg

imgp2063b.jpg

tiny clam/oyster? or just a shell haha

imgp2035j.jpg

Day 3- Feather duster right?

imgp2027.jpg

1 week old- this morning

imgp2114h.jpg

imgp2112n.jpg

imgp2119.jpg

Sponge thing that looks like its gonna come off the rock eventually

imgp2116ml.jpg

imgp2123.jpg

the sponge looks like a pineapple sponge :) Also, cute shell! I love shells. I have some sort of clam in my tank, didn't notice him until about 2 weeks after set up :P Just wait you'll probably have a lot more interesting things! Cant wait to see what you'll put in there!

I like your pics. :)

Yep, the floss just goes in, as is, in the filter chamber. The activated carbon, in the media bag, also is just set in the filter chamber. As for the order, most people allow the floss to filter the water before it gets to the carbon (so that the carbon doesn't clog with debris). ROX 0.8 and Seachem MatrixCarbon are good brands. Some people only use carbon on occasion (to "polish" the water); this helps keep the water clear so the light penetrates better.

Note: it has been reported that activated carbon fines can cause HLLE disease in fish.

tulipgirl-thanks for the ID on the sponge :) cant wait till i get some life going in here!

seabass-i will take your advise and get those things. thanks for the info!

im just so fascinated by reefs and its about time i got into the hobby :) im sure being obsessed with surfing has something to do with my love of the ocean!

Deleted User 3
tulipgirl-thanks for the ID on the sponge :) cant wait till i get some life going in here!

seabass-i will take your advise and get those things. thanks for the info!

im just so fascinated by reefs and its about time i got into the hobby :) im sure being obsessed with surfing has something to do with my love of the ocean!

Welcome ! :) Seriously i love seeing new things in my tank. All i have is a CUC & hitchikers but if you check the OP in my thread you'll see all the hitch hikers i've seen lol. I spend a lot of time staring at the tank... :P

Welcome ! :) Seriously i love seeing new things in my tank. All i have is a CUC & hitchikers but if you check the OP in my thread you'll see all the hitch hikers i've seen lol. I spend a lot of time staring at the tank... :P

wow thats a lot of hitchhikers! thats awesome! :)

you guys have any good online sites to get supplies for cheap?

or is it easier just to get the stuff local sometimes and pay a little more?

i noticed walmart has activated carbon but like seabass said maybe i should opt to buy one of those "good brands" from elsewhere

albertthiel
the sponge looks like a pineapple sponge :) Also, cute shell! I love shells. I have some sort of clam in my tank, didn't notice him until about 2 weeks after set up :P Just wait you'll probably have a lot more interesting things! Cant wait to see what you'll put in there!

If it is a pineapple sponge not much to worry about as it is a filter feeder but some have reported that they were multiplying rapidly but I have not seen that in any tank personally

Any one else aware of this or experienced this ...

Albert

So i went to 2 different walmarts today and couldnt find that poly-fill. ill order it online

The LFS had some so i got impatient and just bought a little from there. I bought some carbon and a media bag also. I will be buying that specific brand seabass told me about online.

I cut the poly-fill in half and replaced the original filter with it.

The carbon states i use 1 FL ounce of carbon per 5 gallons.

My tank is 4g but really holds about 3 gallons so i should really only have a little less than 1 FL ounce in the bag? my tank is tiny though.

should i slowly introduce it or just put the 1 ounce of it right in now?

sorry for asking step by step instructions i just would rather do this right from the start

photolx.jpg

If it is a pineapple sponge not much to worry about as it is a filter feeder but some have reported that they were multiplying rapidly but I have not seen that in any tank personally

Any one else aware of this or experienced this ...

Albert

yea I had an out break for awhile few weeks ago they were literally all over the back of my tank to the point I got worried, but after reading some things online people just said leave em alone, and they eventually go away. Now they dwindled to about 20 spread out where at one point I could hardly see the back of the tank.

Now that the sponges are retreating I have an outbreak of the white swirl looking filter feeders on the glass. Seriously they are so dense as I type this I'm watching a hermit crab climb up the back wall on my tank.

my buddy have a nice vq, any mods?

talking bout a 350z?

i had a 300zx, then had a 350z with intake and wheels...but recently sold it cause i needed a 4 door...just got a acura tl type S but i miss my Z everyday!! im obsessed! :)

talking bout a 350z?

i had a 300zx twin turbo, then had a 350z with exhaust, intake and wheels...but recently sold it cause i needed a 4 door...just got a acura tl type S but i miss my Z everyday!! im obsessed! :)

he had g35 but yet your z some dude blew by me today in a 260 datson so jealous :(

he had g35 but yet your z some dude blew by me today in a 260 datson so jealous :(

haha must of been modded good, what you got? a mini? your avatar is small

Seriously, those Poly-Filters are great! :) It's a good choice to use (even as a substitute for activated carbon). However, I was talking about pillow stuffing in Walmart's craft department. The Poly-Filters are essentially chemical filters that adsorb contaminants (even ammonia), while Poly-Fil is just a mechanical filter.

polyfil_16.jpg

That doesn't sound like a lot of carbon, but I guess that's about right. You don't need to build up to a typical dosage of activated carbon.

Seriously, those Poly-Filters are great! :) It's a good choice to use (even as a substitute for activated carbon). However, I was talking about pillow stuffing in Walmart's craft department. The Poly-Filters are essentially chemical filters that adsorb contaminants (even ammonia), while Poly-Fil is just a mechanical filter.

polyfil_16.jpg

That doesn't sound like a lot of carbon, but I guess that's about right. You don't need to build up to a typical dosage of activated carbon.

thanks! ill order some online today

i knew it was used to stuff pillows! you dont know what i went through...i went on walmart.com, found that stuff, found 2 local walmarts that HAD IT IN STOCK. Neither did (looked in crafts, bedding, etc) and the 2nd walmart refused to look up the part # for me saying "if its not out on the floor we dont have it"

at which point i loudly exited and went to the LFS

but how does this look?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Premium...-50-oz/17808670

i am about to order 1 of those for now and see how much is in it.

@21093r53- nice mini! esp the color choice...must be a blast to drive! have fun

Looks like the stuff. I'm guessing you have some local stores (which are not Walmart) that carries a similar product. Maybe a Hobby Lobby or some sort of fabric store. :unsure:

haha yea your right.... i will go on a mission today to find it locally :)

Archived