inTank Media Baskets

Keydivers 57g rimless "deep blue"

keydiver

Fish_Bagger

Glad I found this thead, we have sold a few of these and I have TONS of people asking about them. Now I can point them to one set up.

I like it as well as it is giving me some ideas. We are thinking about doing the 75 or 80G Deep Blue rimless.

You think 2 AL Sol's are going to be needed?

We have been looking at light and are not sure what to go with. I like the AL lights but 2 of those seem like so much light. I thought about trying some of the Kessil pendents or Ecotechs as well.

We are still in the planning stage, lol.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't wait for my corals to be part of ur tank lol

Thanks dude!

Glad I found this thead, we have sold a few of these and I have TONS of people asking about them. Now I can point them to one set up.

I like it as well as it is giving me some ideas. We are thinking about doing the 75 or 80G Deep Blue rimless.

You think 2 AL Sol's are going to be needed?

We have been looking at light and are not sure what to go with. I like the AL lights but 2 of those seem like so much light. I thought about trying some of the Kessil pendents or Ecotechs as well.

We are still in the planning stage, lol.

Yes I adore these tanks! The footprint for an AI sol is 24" by 24" so I just figured that 2 would get the job done with a little wiggle room. If it's too much light, you can always just dim them down to what you like.

I don't have any experience with kessils but according to the specs, 2 would also get the job done. Radions, I think you would have to use 2 as well, just due to the 36" length of the tank.

Nice scape, how are you liking that skimmer?

I like it so far. I got it on the forums for very cheap and i'm really glad I did. The gate valve mod makes it super easy to hone in or adjust slightly. I haven't really gotten any skim because there's no organics in here yet, but I'm sure it will work like a charm once I do.

DI should bring pH as close to neutral as possible, actually, since it is exchanging both OH- and H+ ions, making pure water. It will combine later with CO2 to become more acidic, however. The same applies to freshly mixed seawater that has equilibrated with air in the room where it is stored as well as your tanks. It may indeed mix to roughly the lower 8s, but it won't necessarily always stay that way depending upon CO2 concentrations.

As far as the 'fuge goes, you don't necessarily have to wait if you want to add macroalgae and/or plants. They will likely appreciate any ammonium you may provide them.

Thanks. I was going to start adding to the fuge in about a week, enough time for the dead shrimp to break down, and enough time for the BB to build up a healthy population.

With respect to the pH, what should my next move be? It's hovering steady at 8.00-8.05, far lower than I would like it. Will it go up as my cycle comes to an end?

took a trip to home depot today and put in some little shelves and hangers to organize my stand and keep everything nice and spiffy. I also got some wire wrap so I can clean up all my cords and whatnots.

organizationofstand003.jpg

organizationofstand005.jpg

organizationofstand004.jpg

Looking awesome. Great start. I'm a big fan of the BRS Eco saver rock. I used the same in. My tank.

It's the best rock FS. It's uniform and stacks so nicely. I'm really glad i ended up using it.

Amphiprion1
Thanks. I was going to start adding to the fuge in about a week, enough time for the dead shrimp to break down, and enough time for the BB to build up a healthy population.

With respect to the pH, what should my next move be? It's hovering steady at 8.00-8.05, far lower than I would like it. Will it go up as my cycle comes to an end?

Your next move should be to wait and observe, both before and after the addition of macroalgae. Even if it is lower than you'd like, it is well within appropriate ranges and shouldn't be an issue to any inhabitants. Extra plant growth will likely tip that slightly during (refugium) daylight hours. It may or may not go up--too many variables. Some of the acids created by bacterial metabolism may lower it slightly, but it largely depends upon what the equilibrium will be in reference to the surrounding air (in addition to things like alkalinity).

Tank setup looks great, btw!

Your next move should be to wait and observe, both before and after the addition of macroalgae. Even if it is lower than you'd like, it is well within appropriate ranges and shouldn't be an issue to any inhabitants. Extra plant growth will likely tip that slightly during (refugium) daylight hours. It may or may not go up--too many variables. Some of the acids created by bacterial metabolism may lower it slightly, but it largely depends upon what the equilibrium will be in reference to the surrounding air (in addition to things like alkalinity).

Tank setup looks great, btw!

Ok, I will do just that. I added a couple dead shrimp to kickstart the cycle.

In other news, I got my second AI unit and I finished the programming for sunrise/sunset and moon cycle. Gotta wait until tomorrow to see if they function properly. I'm now trying to figure out weather cycles like lightning and cloud cover.

Looking good! Can't wait to see this tank progress. Not sure if you've heard this yet, but your rock scape is awesome.

Looking good! Can't wait to see this tank progress. Not sure if you've heard this yet, but your rock scape is awesome.

+1

Ahhh thanks a ton dude, much appreciated :happy:

1. My lighting is working flawlessly. I have it at 45% right now, blue's white's and royals all on teh same intensity. I like teh color it gives, it's a nice 14k. What ratios are others using?

2. Also, I'm getting diatoms on my sand bed. Do you think it's alright to start adding a CuC? My tests are expired so i'll have to borrow a friends.

3. My pH has risen (yippee!) to 8.1 and still rising. It is slowly leveling itself

4. I ordered a cadlights 8g LED light for my fuge/frag tank. I just want the option of putting frag racks in there and using it for frags and I wanted LED's to keep heat down.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Got my new return installed, so now I can put feed mode on without the return breaking. A bit of yin and yang, however- my skimmer pump broke, so now I have to order a new one. They're not too expensive though.

2. I put in a few test corals and threw in a few snails from my other tanks to help with the diatoms. Corals are going strong after 3 days and the tank sin't too shabby. My CuC ships tomorrow I believe.

3. I installed my LED lighting for the fuge and it looks very nice. I also put some eggcrate in there as I will be using a section of it to house frags that I don't want cluttering my display.

4. Water params are looking GOOD. ammonia is zeroed out, pH is stable at 8.00-8.05.

5. The stand is getting a makeover. I'm using fabric and sealing it with a clear sealant to make it durable. So far so good.

Pictures!

6-18-12updates013.jpg

6-18-12updates014.jpg

6-18-12updates015.jpg

6-18-12updates021.jpg

6-18-12updates018.jpg

6-18-12updates020.jpg

6-18-12updates016.jpg

I'm interning at the University of Miami RSMAS campus, doing coral research, dives, and the like, so I now have access to some pretty sweet stuff. Electron light microscopes if I want them. More importantly, lab grade coral food and tons of aquacultured algae and stuff like that.

I can get fresh enriched rotifers 3x a week now :) so this coral will always be well fed. Today I took home a gallon of them. They literally dump out coolers full every day.

timothymarsh

That's really cool that you have the hook up with UM, I'm from Miami so I've seen the awesome facilities that they have. I wanted to go into Marine Biology when I was younger but decided to go the medicine route. Either way, awesome job on this tank, I think you've covered all the bases.

That's really cool that you have the hook up with UM, I'm from Miami so I've seen the awesome facilities that they have. I wanted to go into Marine Biology when I was younger but decided to go the medicine route. Either way, awesome job on this tank, I think you've covered all the bases.

haha yeah it's a really nice place they've got over on key biscayne. I'm really happy I was selected for an internship there. thanks for the kind words!

I moved my peppermint shrimp over yesterday and this morning he was doing great. All the test Cora's are still doing good and the sps haven't bleached yet! I'll slowly move my livestock over from the other tank, starting with the least expensive stuff

More importantly, lab grade coral food and tons of aquacultured algae and stuff like that.

Me = jealous!!!!! Congrats to you!!!! And I LOVE the aquascape :happy:

Looks great!! nice and organized :)

Congrats on the internship!! hook me up with some rotifers :P

Thanks Maria! It's a great opportunity for me. You're welcome to any of my rotifers/springtails/iso's whenever you'd like

Me = jealous!!!!! Congrats to you!!!! And I LOVE the aquascape :happy:

Thank you very much!

Looking very nice. Very nice scape and the tank looks even better with the second light added.

That means a lot coming from the guy who inspired me to get an edge. Thanks a ton man

Archived