Cultivated Reef

jcastle's picotope

jcastle

this tank is going to be changed into a frag and quarantine tank soon. i'm taking the rock and coral out and putting it in my 20 gallon! so check out the 20 gallon thread in my sig and follow along!!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duuuudddeee don't ditch the pico!!

I was following your thread man. I just started a pico in late December and was happy to see others were still building pico's.

Now i understand why you only see a few picos that are over a few months old :(. Noone can resist the urge to upgrade. Oh well, ill be checking out your 20 along the way!!

Duuuudddeee don't ditch the pico!!

I was following your thread man. I just started a pico in late December and was happy to see others were still building pico's.

Now i understand why you only see a few picos that are over a few months old :(. Noone can resist the urge to upgrade. Oh well, ill be checking out your 20 along the way!!

I'm more just doing it to get the coral to the bigger tank. i'm not getting rid of the tank i'll still have it set up and i'll continue to update this thread but i just want all that coral in the big tank and then i'll put frags in the pico when the coral grows into my 20. so there is no way i'll get rid of the pico because pico's are GREAT!! just changing it a bit, i feel like the that's part of having a reef tank changing things so that it stays interesting and you find different ways to do things, learn a lot, and find out more of what your specific taste and interest is. I dont know that just my thought lol. don't give up on the pico, it's very worth it!

• 4 weeks later...

i have big coral order coming in this week so i think i'll add some of the coral to this pico and get it looking good again. i didn't get rid of it but there are only snails and rock that's not that nice looking.

Hey guys here's my pico so far. still waiting on a few items like the par38 bulb but other than that all i need is LR and water!! exciting

here's what i have:

Picotope 3 gallon

mini canister filter

25 watt heater

aqueon 30 powerhead

rapid led par38 80 degree bulb with arm lamp and dimmer

post-70302-1319827739_thumb.jpg

Nice!! I got the same picotope too

You should create a pest tank like I'm doing with my Fluval Spec! It's a lot cheaper. People are literally giving me aiptasia, mojano, bubble algae, etc... I actually think it will be pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
The par bulb gives a nice color. How's the tank? Can we get some fotographias?/an update?

Those rapid bulbs are great. i could get a picture up later but there isn't much to look at. i took the LR and coral out and put it in my 20 long and it's doing even better in there. but when i get the time i'm going to slowly stock this one back up.

Awesome build. It seems the smaller tanks tend to be the ones with the most planning involved.

yeah i planned this one for about a month before i started. my 20 long i only planned for a week before i got that started lol

• 2 months later...
We need update pics!

Tiki! you are right i need to get a pic of this tank on here. there are a lot of strange things going on and it looks pretty cool! i'll try and remember to get a shot of it tomorrow

photo update. not much going on in this one

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

white hair growing everywhere. don't know what it is

i'm letting it go for now just to see what happens....only topping off, no water changes or heavy filter cleaning...should be interesting....i've still been putting in bubble algae and it's not growing lol i might go get some nasty live rock and see what happens

Islandoftiki
i'm letting it go for now just to see what happens....only topping off, no water changes or heavy filter cleaning...should be interesting....i've still been putting in bubble algae and it's not growing lol i might go get some nasty live rock and see what happens

Bubble algae... I can't grow the stuff either. I popped about 40 bubbles of the stuff into the pest tank... no new bubbles and the whole ones I put in there are all gone. The majanos ate a couple of them, too!

I'll have some really nice green/red majanos in a couple months as they grow out. Let me know if you want one. Like aiptasia, they're nearly impossible to kill. They would be awesome if you are going to go pest tank with that thing.

Archived