inTank Media Baskets

laser or reef tank

trever223

laser. this is a rhetorical question

Since the OP's question is rhetorical and all... a better question is what will the OP be able to see after staring straight into the laser for 5 minutes... both eyes?

Laser so we can have answer to my question.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danielmparker

I never new you could buy such sweet lasers till read this post,

I think I'm gonna get the blue one since I all ready have 3 tanks,

But if you don't have a tank now get one before the laser, it's much more rewarding than Playing starwars with some lazerz pew pew pew

pismo_reefer

I bought one of those "military grade" lazer's....

The only time I ever use it, is when we go camping, or night-riding on the quad's...

It's awesome to be able to find someone, in the middle of nowhere at night,

just by following the lazer... :lol:

Lazer's are pretty awesome... :D

forrestp38829

Holy crap!! I have never seen such cooool lasers!

I think I am going to get This one. I don't however, think I can swing the $$$ for the 1000mW version. :huh:

OP, do you have an opinion on the laser I posted?

What did the people on the laser forum say?

Probably get the laser since its a LASER FORUM! :P

Holy crap!! I have never seen such cooool lasers!

I think I am going to get This one. I don't however, think I can swing the $$$ for the 1000mW version. :huh:

OP, do you have an opinion on the laser I posted?

There Website Says: "With its intergalactic range of 85 miles, the S3 Krypton is the first and only handheld laser visible from outer space."

You too can blind the space shuttle! :lol:

gearedforacure

as a pilot, I would encourage you to get a fish tank. that way I dont have to store your location in my GPS to send the feds after you when you inadvertantly hit my cockpit while im flying NVGs and you "didnt see me".

Seriously. Those things are not toys.

...and dont start thinking big sky, little beam theory...those things can go quite the distance.

Please no body buy from wicked lasers the lasers they sell are crap. If you have any laser questions talk to me I know quite a bit. And actually the laser forum said a little bit of both surprisingly heres the thread actually

as a pilot, I would encourage you to get a fish tank. that way I dont have to store your location in my GPS to send the feds after you when you inadvertantly hit my cockpit while im flying NVGs and you "didnt see me".

Seriously. Those things are not toys.

...and dont start thinking big sky, little beam theory...those things can go quite the distance.

can people like you STOP commenting. I respect you as a pilot and actually would like to be one but I UNDERSTAND they are not toys. I inspect the sky for atleast 30 seconds before I shine a laser any where. Friends that are older than me arent even mature enough *facepalm*

Probably get the laser since its a LASER FORUM! :P

There Website Says: "With its intergalactic range of 85 miles, the S3 Krypton is the first and only handheld laser visible from outer space."

You too can blind the space shuttle! :lol:

dont listen to them, its bull####. you cant see a laser in space since there is no air.

gearedforacure

sorry man, just something im passionate about. this is a big deal in the aviation world right now, especially for those of us who fly NVGs. I looked back through the thread, and it wasnt you, but someone mentioned "pointing it around in the sky" and it scares me that they may not understand the hazards involved.

I understand you may think before you point, but it looks like you turned a whole lot of noobs onto these things that may not have a clue what they are doing with them.

Seriously, a tank is a very rewarding project. Set one up. ...and take pictures as you go. After awhile, you will be amazed at before and afters.

northeastern

Im in school for engineering. I love stuff like this laser. I've done some reading on them if yin the past but I couldn't justify buying one. I ended up buying and installing a few small lift for my wrangler. I just don't understand what you do once you have the laser. Its illegal to shine the thing anywhere... I just don't understand what you would do with it.

That being said if you do go reef id suggest a fluval edge and changing its light. Sweet little tank and is big enough to house a fish. Its also all in one so it doesn't look messy or anything. I don't have one I just like them a lot im sure they have downsides and whatnot

As for reef cost apart from initial setup cost (don't cheap out here) its not that expensive. Browse local forums for deals on equipment/livestock/corals and you can stay pretty cheap. Also I get my wager from a lfs for a dollar a gallon for salt and 50 cents a gallon ro. So that cost is low.

Pointing a laser at the sky? What for? I mean seriously - what does it do? Why not get a HUGE naval searchlight instead if you want to see something with it? Not dissin your lazr or anything, I just don't know what would one DO/achieve with one.

With reef tank you have years of learning, experiencing ahead with ever-changing LIVE ecosystem. Reef tank can surprise you years into the hobby. Not saying a laser can't, but... :lol:

given the right control and lab settings theres a legit use for lasers and a nano reef. Its absolutely possible to track/measure/biofeedback the undulations of a fish, or minor variances in scale physicality or any other movement or temp in the tank with the right laser, at least its a starting brainstorm to combine the two.

Killing pests with it is a solid use, very highly possible. I have aimed them at patches of algae for long periods before, both the simple red dot laser pointers and the strong green scorpion laser dj's that can be trained on a fixed setting. Aiming at the sky is a no go however, its not worth the risk. A simple worst case scenario is a pilot miles away sees your beam, calls in the estimated coordinates, the FAA sends local police on the lookout and they see you and start the charges.

It doesn't matter that in the end the pilot's actual GPS flight coordinates won't match up with your projection and the case won't fly, it will be the fifty thou it took to get that far in legal proceedings. avoid the sky man lol

Thats not that hard of a choice. I have both, I have high powered lasers from wicked laser aswell as a 12g SH tank. The tank I love and is amazing, but they are costly, and must be maintained. On the other hand lasers, at least the ones I bought are extremely expensive but super awesome and when your bored you can chuck it in a drawer and you dont have to change the water lol.

But beware, when you purchase a laser such as the ones I bought youll be tempted to use it and shine it in the sky and all that good stuff, but just an fyi cops hate them oh yeah and pilots! And at night if you shine it in the sky everyone from miles around can see it and itll only take like 5-10 min before there are police driving up and down your street.

this is where I got mine, they are sick

http://www.wickedlasers.com/?gclid=CO2ypaL...CFSYZQgod4zO0Wg

Thats not that hard of a choice. I have both, I have high powered lasers from wicked laser aswell as a 12g SH tank. The tank I love and is amazing, but they are costly, and must be maintained. On the other hand lasers, at least the ones I bought are extremely expensive but super awesome and when your bored you can chuck it in a drawer and you dont have to change the water lol.

But beware, when you purchase a laser such as the ones I bought youll be tempted to use it and shine it in the sky and all that good stuff, but just an fyi cops hate them oh yeah and pilots! And at night if you shine it in the sky everyone from miles around can see it and itll only take like 5-10 min before there are police driving up and down your street.

this is where I got mine, they are sick

http://www.wickedlasers.com/?gclid=CO2ypaL...CFSYZQgod4zO0Wg

belive me i owned 2 1W blue lasers and some green lasers. I shine them in the air but I do disagree that you can see them from miles away. and btw wickedlasers sucks

Lasers would be cool if we could cut our own glass for making tanks that is about it. Otherwise they are mostly just a toy.

Deleted User 6
I am a laser enthusiast. The few negatives I see for a reef is that if it fails Im out money. If I want to sell the laser I can. Lasers really are amazing (imo) if you ever get to see a high-powered green (532nm) in real life and see it pointed in the night sky it is amazing. Also another negative to a reef is that I am in high school and mom docent particularly like anything to do with fish.

what kind of lighting do you suggest for a 2.5 aga?

laser. most definitely the laser.

• 1 month later...
I am very bad at making decisions and sometimes I think I made up my mind but then the next hour I am thinking I want the other. I either want to put together a nice 2.5 gallon pico reef to put on my dresser or I want a jetlasers PL-C. There are many pros and cons to both I just cant make up my mind. Does anyone want to put forward a little input and the reason why I should choose that one.

Thanks

What is the purpose of a jet laser? And what do you need it for?

+1 for laser.

"If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!" -Evil Genius, Time Bandits

I dont get it

why would anyone want a super expensive laser pointer? I mean, what can you even do with one?

seriously Im at a huge loss here. I was actually quite surprised so many people are in favor of the laser

I dont get it

why would anyone want a super expensive laser pointer? I mean, what can you even do with one?

seriously Im at a huge loss here. I was actually quite surprised so many people are in favor of the laser

It's because lasers are awesome. They're fun, interesting, and super geeky. Not only is it fun to point powerful lasers at or through stuff, but they represent an impressive application of our understanding of modern physics. In fact, the information you are reading here (or just about any other site) will have at one point been converted to photons and blasted vast distances through glass fibers by arrays of awesome lasers that are awesome. And cool. Did I mention how awesome lasers are? And cool?

Archived