ReefCleaners.org

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey LOOKING GOOD!!! Just wanted to chime in, I have been using the SOL on my tank for a few months now and slowly started noticing that my chalices were losing red pigment... I added a few T5's with 6700k bulbs to bring back the red and get a more full spectrum and my god did things change. ALL my coral responded quickly with in 2 days all my chalices developed more eyes. I love the sol but since I added the T5's I couldnt be happier. I look at the SOL now as a MH/Moonlight. Its just something I noticed in my tank and thought I would share.

Long story short, look into adding T5 retrokits, you would only need 4 and wouldnt cost more then $500 and you would have a A++++ lighting system to match your amazingly well thought out tank.

Hey LOOKING GOOD!!! Just wanted to chime in, I have been using the SOL on my tank for a few months now and slowly started noticing that my chalices were losing red pigment... I added a few T5's with 6700k bulbs to bring back the red and get a more full spectrum and my god did things change. ALL my coral responded quickly with in 2 days all my chalices developed more eyes. I love the sol but since I added the T5's I couldnt be happier. I look at the SOL now as a MH/Moonlight. Its just something I noticed in my tank and thought I would share.

Long story short, look into adding T5 retrokits, you would only need 4 and wouldnt cost more then $500 and you would have a A++++ lighting system to match your amazingly well thought out tank.

More and more of us are starting to notice that with the SOLs. I'm only pissd cause there's no way for me to retro some T5s on my setup without getting a whole new fixture.

Question here: I run a 250 MH on a Solana. Based on the response above on the SOL light should I be adding T5's for supplement? If so which? Is this the cause of my coral's color fading because I only run a MH?

Thanks!

"Z"

Tank and corals look great! It'll look so much better in there with 2 mp40's rather than those korilas, So much cleaner with 2 vortechs rather than those cords hanging everywhere in tank

Some people only run MH, personally I think thats silly. I like a full spectrum and MH is limiting with the blue spectrum and causes some of the "poping" colors to wash out. Atleast look into Blue led lights for supplments. Blue spec really makes coral glow its attractiveness.

And to the guy that cant mount to his light, Ill post some pics soon of my fixture. I used the orignal 12" rails and added a 24" Coralife dual T5 figture. I will add a second later but as it is now Im very happy.... because my corals are so in turn i am :lol:

Some people only run MH, personally I think thats silly. I like a full spectrum and MH is limiting with the blue spectrum and causes some of the "poping" colors to wash out. Atleast look into Blue led lights for supplments. Blue spec really makes coral glow its attractiveness.

And to the guy that cant mount to his light, Ill post some pics soon of my fixture. I used the orignal 12" rails and added a 24" Coralife dual T5 figture. I will add a second later but as it is now Im very happy.... because my corals are so in turn i am :lol:

'the guy' thanks you.

Sorry pschom, didnt feel like opening a new window to find out who asked lmao. Hey atleasted I actually posted a pic! lol.

To all on this thread interested its on page 5 of my ADA build.

No, more of a cool white / red spec. I have the SOL Super Blue... The most powerful Royal Blues I can think of lol.

Oo you mean with the MH, I think that would work but Im not a expert. Just something for you to look into. Would hate for you to think I know everything and make a purchase on my stupidity.

saltwatercoral
Whoa! Looks great! Been waiting almost a year to see that! I'm happy for you.

Thanks pschom! It def took me a while to get here!

Thanks JNA_DESIGN! I might look into that. Not right now as I am looking to put my $ to more corals and another MP40wEs!

More and more of us are starting to notice that with the SOLs. I'm only pissd cause there's no way for me to retro some T5s on my setup without getting a whole new fixture.

That does suck...

Tank and corals look great! It'll look so much better in there with 2 mp40's rather than those korilas, So much cleaner with 2 vortechs rather than those cords hanging everywhere in tank

I def agree with that! I only have 1 Korila left and 1 MP40wEs already in place! I am looking forward to getting another MP40wEs so I will have 2 to sync together!

'the guy' thanks you.

LMFAO

I was looking over my tank and noticed my first copepods walking on the glass as well as corner overflow! How long should I wait on getting a Manderin? I know that I need a "HEALTHY" population of the copepods but just trying to get a good idea on the time line for one of those incredable fish!

Thanks pschom! It def took me a while to get here!

Thanks JNA_DESIGN! I might look into that. Not right now as I am looking to put my $ to more corals and another MP40wEs!

That does suck...

I def agree with that! I only have 1 Korila left and 1 MP40wEs already in place! I am looking forward to getting another MP40wEs so I will have 2 to sync together!

LMFAO

I was looking over my tank and noticed my first copepods walking on the glass as well as corner overflow! How long should I wait on getting a Manderin? I know that I need a "HEALTHY" population of the copepods but just trying to get a good idea on the time line for one of those incredable fish!

I would wait atleast another 4 months. you should have your tank running for about 6 months to keep a Mandarin healthy.

saltwatercoral
I would wait atleast another 4 months. you should have your tank running for about 6 months to keep a Mandarin healthy.

Thats the info I was looking for! I dont want to chance hurting or killing a fish on my own stupidity. Should I done for the pods or just let them run there course?

I heard that to many pods can harm SPS corals is that true as well?

saltwatercoral
Pods wont harm your corals, amphipods will on the other hand. (they are larger)

These guys are super tiny little guys. Im not to sure how I even noticed them.

These guys are super tiny little guys. Im not to sure how I even noticed them.

Yea i'm sure they are copepods. The only other thing you could do to get the Mandarin earlier would be to buy a few bags/bottles of copepods and "seed" your refugium with them. Or farm them for the Mandarin. If you seed the fuge you might only need to wait as little as a month or two.

saltwatercoral
Yea i'm sure they are copepods. The only other thing you could do to get the Mandarin earlier would be to buy a few bags/bottles of copepods and "seed" your refugium with them. Or farm them for the Mandarin. If you seed the fuge you might only need to wait as little as a month or two.

I dont have a fuge, just a sump with all my filtration in it. Could I seed the tank itself?

I've read that ORA Mandarins are already eating frozen/other prepared foods. Maybe not true, but you could look into that. I had a Mandarin once but I was too scared that it wouldn't have enough food so I took it back. I think I could have done it, but you have to have a fuge where the pods can populate without predation.

DONT BUY THE ORA MANDARIN!! I bought one before for $100 not $15-$20 like wild caught ones, and it never once ate frozen foods at all, and it eventually diesd after 1-2 months. But you will definitely need a fuge for pods to populate and not get eaten, like pschom said.

I dont have a fuge, just a sump with all my filtration in it. Could I seed the tank itself?

Do you have any biological filtration at all besides the Display tanks LR and LS? And NO dont seed the main tank with pods. that will just end up being a very expensive feeding for your fish.

saltwatercoral
DONT BUY THE ORA MANDARIN!! I bought one before for $100 not $15-$20 like wild caught ones, and it never once ate frozen foods at all, and it eventually diesd after 1-2 months. But you will definitely need a fuge for pods to populate and not get eaten, like pschom said.

Do you have any biological filtration at all besides the Display tanks LR and LS? And NO dont seed the main tank with pods. that will just end up being a very expensive feeding for your fish.

Aww man, I have nothing other that the LR & LS. Just the sump, with the Protein Skimmer 2 heaters and return pump.

Aww man, I have nothing other that the LR & LS. Just the sump, with the Protein Skimmer 2 heaters and return pump.

You can also get a new sump and fuge. Or just go without the Mandarin.

I think people have had better luck with the ORA Spotted Mandarin more than the ORA blue Mandarin for eating frozen foods.

saltwatercoral
You can also get a new sump and fuge. Or just go without the Mandarin.

I think people have had better luck with the ORA Spotted Mandarin more than the ORA blue Mandarin for eating frozen foods.

I may need to do some more reaserch on these little guys... Thanks for the info though Criley! The Miami Orchid is coloring up real nice by the way!

Archived