inTank Media Baskets

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

I noticed this little surprise this morning when moving over my blue eyed cardinals. First batch in a couple months.

eggs.jpg

parents.jpg

mom.jpg

proudmother.jpg

Not a great shot but you can see where she laid them this time.

eggfts.jpg

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after picking up two blue eyed cardinals for my mr aqua tank I had to move them the next morning. One was barrel rolling in the tank so I moved them both to the 75 in hopes of saving them. One died but the other is alive and kicking. I'm going to monitor him and consider picking up three more for the 75 to have small school. I have wanted something to school in the tank and they can be nice.

I will have to keep an eye on the eggs the clowns laid. They are so upfront in the tank this time that I can watch them mature more. Someone will eat them but it will be interesting.

All the babies were gone by the next morning. They must have become a late night snack for the coral or parents. They lasted about 7 or 8 days like always. One day I may try to raise the fry but I don't have the time right now.

I plan on picking up three more blue eyed cardinals. I really do like them and the blue doesn't photograph well. It depends on how the light catches their eyes. Subtle color and it would be nice to have a school of fish.

steely185

Thanks SoCal

I swung by the LFS today for some water for the work tank. I hated doing it because I didn't want to look like a tourist but I couldn't resist snapping a pic and video of their tank. Love their 900 gallon system. Not sure on the dimensions of it but it's 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall and not sure on the length of the tank.

a72c0b14.jpg

steely185

My torch will be gone this weekend. I'm also selling a nice size setosa frag this weekend. So with the cash I am planning on picking up 3 more blue eyed cardinals to give me a school of 4.

I will try and snag a pic of the tank this weekend before selling off the torch. Growth has been good this month. Millis, tort, birdsnests, and tricolor all have grown well this month.

Builder Anthony

that leather coral is so nice looking i awalys know its your tank when i see that coral up there.

steely185

Thanks guys.

That leather is one of my favorites. It's so bright yellow and always open during the day. It spans about 10" across and is the bed of my starry blenny.

The growth has been great in the tank and the colonies are getting massive. With the torch gone I plan on placing my pink cap in it's place. It needs space and is about 8-9" across. I have the urge to get a new tank but the wife would kill me. I could use the extra space for the fish and coral. There are plenty of swimming paths but I have about 3-4" of space between the front glass and coral in most places so it's going to fill in over the next year.

I fragged a few corals yesterday for someone buying the torch. He's going to return the favor with a piece of pink lemonade and hawkins (had before but lost it in the crash). I'll figure out a place to put them.

The cardinals I added are all doing well. They were a perfect addition to the tank. The 4 of them stay together all the time with an occasional straggler. They also fill some of the negative space in the tank giving it a very nice look. Cool fish to have.

Thanks. I am still running biopellets.

I'm sure to have run into you at the LFS and not even realized it. Loving your tank!

steely185

Thank you.

I usually swing by Atlantis but check out Fishworld every couple of weeks. You may very well have been there.

I may be in the market for a new protein skimmer. I've been using a NW110 octopus skimmer on my 75 but I'm considering moving up in skimmer size. I want to pull more nutrients and handle my increased bioload. I feel that increasing my skimmer size would help. I'm not interested replacing it with another reef octopus skimmer or a deltec skimmer. I'm also not interested in dropping bubble king kind of my money for a skimmer going on a 75.

I would prefer to stay with something in sump rather than external and something that isn't super touchy about water level in sump. I also want to keep a small footprint in the sump if possible. I was looking at a SKIMZ SM 161 Monzter E-Series in sump skimmer (http://www.aquacave.com/SKIMZ-SM-161-Monzter-E-Series-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmer-P3237C662.aspx) but haven't heard of them or anyone using one. What are some of my options out there.

Arkayology

I am not familiar with the brand you are linking. The pump seems good though. I have been impressed with my Reef Octo skimmer. I recently saw someone using a Reef Octopus Diablo XS 160 Protein Skimmer on their 100g and it was pulling tons of skimmate. It's footprint is kinda beefy at 8.3x8.3 though. I have also seen the SRO line and they seem nice. Maybe worth looking into?

I had an SRO skimmer previously but they were a bit loud and very touchy with water level. I had to make a platform to get it to work at the right water level. Once it was dialed in it would work well but if you unplugged it and plugged it in again it would overflow without any changes to water level or settings.

Arkayology
I had an SRO skimmer previously but they were a bit loud and very touchy with water level. I had to make a platform to get it to work at the right water level. Once it was dialed in it would work well but if you unplugged it and plugged it in again it would overflow without any changes to water level or settings.

Ya, I have my octo sitting on a platform. There are some people that swear by the Avast skimmers. Have you checked those out?

Paleoreef103

I run an SWC 150 BMK. It's much quieter than the reef octopii I've seen and it would be an upgrade for your tank. It's extreme overkill for my 40 breeder, but it should be about perfect for your 75.

Arkayology
I run an SWC 150 BMK. It's much quieter than the reef octopii I've seen and it would be an upgrade for your tank. It's extreme overkill for my 40 breeder, but it should be about perfect for your 75.

I had a bad experience with an SWC skimmer... Their atman pumps are crap.

I had a bad experience with an SWC skimmer... Their atman pumps are crap.

+1

My bubble magus uses an atman, I had to replace the impeller within the first 4months and it had start up issues through out. I'm running an Eshopps cone right now, too early to judge performance, but it is very quiet and compact. If you are looking into the Skimz. I'd suggest looking into Warner marine MF series, from what I hear they are practically the same, built by Skimz.

Archived