Cultivated Reef

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

Not a lot to report. The tank is coasting right now. My top off reservoir is working like a charm. I haven't had to fill it in three weeks. Going to get around to it this weekend.

Changed out my GFO and added more to drop algae production. Polyp extension on corals has been crazy lately as well. I haven't been feeding as heavily since the butterfly died.

I've got new branches growing out of my tricolor where I cut 4" of the colony away. It healed quickly and sprouted new branches right off the fresh cuts.

I've decided that I'm going to sell off my torch coral and keep the frogspawn. I just don't have a great spot for the torch and it's going to be dangerous to other corals anywhere I move it. I plan on replacing it with my plum crazy frag and some montiporas that need mounting.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks animal.

the current fish list:

pair of maroon clowns

fridmani pseudochromis

green clown goby

blue/yellow damsel

tomini tang

six line wrasse

christmas wrasse

starry blenny

mygolfisslow

i haven't checked in on this thread i a while looks good. love your pics of Savannah i lived there when i was growing up haven't been back in like 15 years i miss it its a cool city. river street for the good times.

How are your temps with the halides ? Do you use fans or anything to keep them down ?

Temps range between 77-82 each day with my halides. I don't let the tank get above 82 during the day. If the tank does my Apex shuts the lights off for 30 minutes at least until the water drops below 82. Temps are only a concern during the spring when the AC is not run as much.

i haven't checked in on this thread i a while looks good. love your pics of Savannah i lived there when i was growing up haven't been back in like 15 years i miss it its a cool city. river street for the good times.

Thanks. We really enjoyed Savannah. We actually stayed on river street and it was definitely my favorite area. Beautiful city.

Wow dan the growth in your tank is just ridiculous....Great pics BTW.

Thank you. Growth doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Everything is growing quickly. The valida tricolor colony is around 8-9" in size and I have to cut it every couple weeks to keep it from growing into my hulk tort. I'm actually going to thin some stuff out. I have a duplicated pink with green polyp milli colony that I will probably sell and I want to remove my torch. I removed the gorgonia over the weekend because it stopped responding to feeding and has had tissue receding. The birdsnest is bigger than my fully outstretched hand. The smaller stuff on the left side is growing like crazy now.

What skimmer are you running?

I'm just running an old reef octopus NW110 that I had on my 40 breeder. The SRO1000 that I had was just too noisy and extremely touchy with the operating water level. The NW110 is pretty much a set it and forget it for me.

I also need to get around to changing out my bulbs soon. I think they may be causing some algae growth and they are about 10 months old. I've been running biopellets and GFO so changing the bulbs may help if not for just some improvement in appearance. The radiums are starting to burn a little whiter now than before.

I found a buyer for my torch and one of my duplicate milli colonies.

In anticipation of making room I inadvertently knocked some stuff free and have started to rearrange some rocks. I will need to work on it over the weekend but I snapped a pic of my birds nest while rearranging. It's grown quite a bit.

897d82ce.jpg

I'm gonna give the tank a break for a couple days. I don't want to stress anything anymore than I have at this point. I broke several pieces off my bridsnest, blue acro colony, tricolor, and pearlberry. It's always frustrating but should give some more room for growth.

I'm also considering removing a little more rock to open the tank up further. I'm not dead set on this yet. Part of me is tempted to remove all my rock and start clean with cycled dry rock but I don't feel like investing in that time or money. I guess I'm wanting a new look and to get rid of the majano infestation. I had a kalk party yesterday burning them to hell but they always come back.

Have you tried Aptasia eating nudis? I hear some of them eat mojanos. It would be pretty cool to get one of those zapper wands too. Just a thought :)

I've heard more negative reviews of the zapper/majano wand and some reports of them multiplying. I also don't trust using a laser to remove them. I had thought about trying the nudis but hadn't heard of them working on majano.

I've heard more negative reviews of the zapper/majano wand and some reports of them multiplying. I also don't trust using a laser to remove them. I had thought about trying the nudis but hadn't heard of them working on majano.

I have heard of one species of nudi, Spurilla Neapolitana, that will eat mojanos. They are hard to find though. Maybe you could buy an army of peppermint shrimps, train them to eat mojanos, and then let them loose in your DT? It would suck to have to do a entire redo as you have so much stuff on the rocks.

I wouldn't do a redo for that purpose. I kind of want to go more minimal than I have. It would just be easier to start with dry rock, make the structure, and cycle it. It's easier aquascaping ahead of time and using the marco rock stuff to bond the rocks together. I would be a little fearful of another cycle even cycling the new rock elsewhere. Maybe some day.

I also wouldn't mind doing a rimless cube with only deepwater SPS but that's for another day.

It killed me going to the LFS this weekend. They had a red headed wrasse in that had been there for a couple weeks. They generally don't ship well so to find a healthy one is rare. $180 was a little too much for me right now with some medical bills.

gorgeous fish that looks like a parrot

redheadwrassesarab9-29-10a.jpg

I think I'm going to be moving my frogspawn to the center when the buyer picks up his torch. I've been contemplating placing a rose anemone in it's place. I'm nervous with adding anemones though. They just split so often and kill off any neighboring SPS. It would be a hard fit to make it work assuming it didn't decide to travel the tank. Probably not going to happen.

I just realized that my tank turned a year old in the past month.

Here are a few progression shots.

0f5bf410.png

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

FTS041512.jpg

Great shots and great tank, it is worth all the work and sweat when it turns out as good as this, I know it doesn't come easy.

Archived