• Created
  • Last Reply

Daily dose of bugz!

4a42867f.jpg

05c5d15d.jpg

269b9ea4.jpg

646090e5.jpg

687d4c3d.jpg

(EOS450D + 70mm 1:1 macro + 65mm extension tube)

Those rocks are 1-2mm coral sand.

Love your FTS Behemoth .. :wub:

And what's that ? Reef Bugs ?

Thanks! :) They're just some assorted pods and planctonic rotifera on my front glass during the day.

Oh, and them eggs are no more. And not really too unexpectedly either.

Oh, and them eggs are no more. And not really too unexpectedly either.

And now there's a fresh batch. They're sure getting' it on! :naughtydance:

i dont know what those things on the glass are what do they do?

Snials,clams?

They're part of your average reef microfauna. They eat algae and detritus and get eaten by bigger bugs or fish or something else..

I win! Hahaha!

This tank has one too and I absolutely love the color temperature!

Yeah I love his tank. It's one of my faves on NR. That light should look amazing on your tank Aquanist. omgomgomg

DAMN!! I need to re-learh how to shoot my tank! :eek:

Here's the 1st batch (of which most pics went horribly wrong in so many ways!):

6ea29471.jpg

c88ad6a2.jpg

1c0f62ef.jpg

8631eae6.jpg

650847b9.jpg

Wow that is a beautiful fixture. Everything is poppin' bottles! Lol

What type of fixture is it an where you got t from?

It's Eco-Lamp KR93 52" unit.

I got it 2nd hand from a fellow reefer who is moving abroad and sold all his equipment. Got too sweet a deal to resist.

EDIT: Corrected the page on that link. PPFD available.

Order has been placed for a custom built 140x70x55cm (you do the math) tank with 2 holes and back + left side tinted black.

Coming soon to this site near you.

EDIT:

Current setup:

• Tanks:
  • Display: 140 x 70 x 55cm (56 x 28 x 22 inches)
  • Sump: 70 x 50 x 40cm (28 x 20 x 16 inches)
  • Cryptic sump 50 x 40 x 40cm (20 x 16 x 16 inches) filled to the brim with premium LR filled with various sponges, worms, foraminiferans...
  • Main tank Plumbing:
    - drain 40mm (1 3/4 inch)
    - return 32mm (1 1/4 inch)
  • Cryptic tank Plumbing:
    - drain 32mm (1 1/4 inch)
    - return 32mm (1 1/4 inch) teed off of main return and flow controlled with 2 ball valves.

Equipment:

• Tunze 7096 multicontroller
  • 2x Tunze 6105 stream
  • Tunze 6015 stream in cryptic tank
  • Eheim 1262 return pump
  • eheim 1048 and 1250 feed pumps
  • PhosBan 150 reactor for biopellets
  • PhosBan 150 reactor for carbon and PO4 remover
  • Weipro temp controller
  • Jäger 150W heater (double thermostats for redundancy)
  • Bubble Magus NAC7 skimmer
  • Bubble Magus MB-T01 dosation pump
  • Tropic Marin SunaFOCUS 8x54W T5 light
  • Arcadia 18W T8 refugium light
  • Gembird Silvershield USB programmable cord for lights (4 independent timings)
  • Blue LED moonlight
  • Dual sensor ATO w/ 15gallon reservoir
  • Display tank overflow killswitch for return pump
  • APC Smart-UPS 750XL with additional APC battery pack

Fish:
  • Zebrasoma flavescens
  • Zebrasome xanthurum
  • Paracanthurus hepatus
  • 7 Pseudanthias squamipinnis (1M+5F)
  • 2 Amphiprion ocellaris (M+F)
  • 2 Gobiodon histrio (M+F)
  • 2 Pterosynchiropus splendidus (M+F)
  • Labroides dimiatus
  • Centropyge bispinosus
  • Crysiptera hemicyanea
  • Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
  • Atrosalarias fuscus

Jan 2012:

6c95a2cd.jpg

Very nice. Hope I can have something similar in a year or two. Just getting back into aquariums after a dozen year break. Going to have to put the engineering skills to work. Keep up the good work. It's beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...
nice fixtures, looking great
Thats a nice unit. Looks look over your tank. And your corals look real nice under that light as well. :)

Thanks guys! I'm so in love with this new fixture right now. I'm using almost half the electricity on lighting from what I used to and my tank temp is down 2 degrees from before.. I did love the T5 and I still do, but this was just the smart thing to do right now as here in the cold and dark north we don't really have household AC summer temps can be tricky. Well no more they can't. :lol:

Actually the guy who bought my previous Tropic Marin 8x54W did a LUX comparison with his old 2 4x54W units with joint reflectors and that TM with individual parabolic reflectors. I knew to expect better values, but he got 7000LUX with the old against 17000LUX of the TM!!! :o

So people, pay attention to the reflectors!!

Very nice. Hope I can have something similar in a year or two. Just getting back into aquariums after a dozen year break. Going to have to put the engineering skills to work. Keep up the good work. It's beautiful.

Thank you CReef! With my limited SW experience I'm 100% positive that anyone can make their reef tank look the way they want to (well some "LE Bobs purple monstrosity et cetera silly names may be excluded) as long as they take their time and enjoy the gradual growth of beauty. Best of luck with your project!

Lately I've been just swamped with work and I just haven't had the time to visit here as much as I'd have liked. Not that I would have had much news to share, but still. I've evolved at least a little bit with my camera skills what comes to LED lighting. Oh and I witnessed my RBTA eating one of my 7 anthias. It was the runt of the litter so to say and had taken into sleeping by the foot of the nem. One evening at feeding I didn't see them all eating and found it halfway into the nem already (it was going stron just a few hrs before, so I took it as one of this things that just happen sometimes). Following morning the RBTA spat out the spine and gill covers and there was peace in fish tank once more. :D

altolamprologus

That sucks your anthias was eaten. It made for an interesting story though! You should post some more pics when you get the time :)

I feel your pain. One of my late green banded gobies was eaten by a hammer coral. Wtf.

Work, or no make sure you give us an update on how that fixture compares to your t5's in a few weeks.

That sucks your anthias was eaten. It made for an interesting story though! You should post some more pics when you get the time :)
I feel your pain. One of my late green banded gobies was eaten by a hammer coral. Wtf.

Work, or no make sure you give us an update on how that fixture compares to your t5's in a few weeks.

Well it's "anemone eat fish -world" out there you know. We all take calculated risks with our livestock.. Well most of us do at least - others just throw fish in and wonder that the hell just happened when they don't get along after all. :D

I promise you there will be a short writeup with pics included coming your way in near future.. Exact schedule really isn't for me to say, but there should be something.. :ninja:

saltwatercoral

I hvnt been buy for a while to check out the tank, and man it looks great! The LEDS give it a nice look!

Archived