ReefCleaners.org

Ecoxotic LED Club

VtheMaestro

2 questions:

I've been reading descriptions of the Panoramas and Stunners but they don't say. Are the Stunners 1 w & the Panoramas 3w? Besides the fact that the Panoramas have a "box" around them, what's the diff?

I'm thinking of adding the magenta/blue Stunner. I already have a PAR30 bulb and decent growth, so it's more about color. Those of you who have this Stunner, how would you say it affects coral colors?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 questions:

I've been reading descriptions of the Panoramas and Stunners but they don't say. Are the Stunners 1 w & the Panoramas 3w? Besides the fact that the Panoramas have a "box" around them, what's the diff?

I'm thinking of adding the magenta/blue Stunner. I already have a PAR30 bulb and decent growth, so it's more about color. Those of you who have this Stunner, how would you say it affects coral colors?

Stunners are for color only. The 12" Stunner has 24 LEDs at 6 watts, which is what, 1/4 watt each LED? The Pros are definitely for growth, at 3 watts each LED. Because of this, the Pros need heatsinks (the box), to dissipate the generated heat, while as the Stunners don't, and are a basic "peel and stick" strip.

Stunners are for color only. The 12" Stunner has 24 LEDs at 6 watts, which is what, 1/4 watt each LED? The Pros are definitely for growth, at 3 watts each LED. Because of this, the Pros need heatsinks (the box), to dissipate the generated heat, while as the Stunners don't, and are a basic "peel and stick" strip.

Thank you, Mike. I didn't find that info. in the descriptions, but it makes sense.

It's interesting about growth vs. color. Some reefers have reported slow color shifts under the stunner (what I'm hoping for, that the corals will synthesize new pigments). So if that is what happens then 1/4 w isn't enough PAR for growth but could still provoke a color response in corals. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Thank you, Mike. I didn't find that info. in the descriptions, but it makes sense.

It's interesting about growth vs. color. Some reefers have reported slow color shifts under the stunner (what I'm hoping for, that the corals will synthesize new pigments). So if that is what happens then 1/4 w isn't enough PAR for growth but could still provoke a color response in corals. Can anyone confirm or refute?

With that said, it IS possible to grow coral under Stunners, with the exception of maybe adding more strips. There's a guy on Ecoxotics facebook page that has a gorgeous softy/lps tank grown under Stunners.

Birdsnest and Acros darken up considerably in my tank. I took it as excess produced zooxanthellae, because I dose phyto and oyster feast so often. Im interested in hearing what others have to say.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 29 g and 1- 12k/445nm+ 2 - 445nm royal blue modules. As a supplement I would say I still have Marineland Reef Capable LED fixture so according to the guide I have even more. My tank never looked so nice. I still have all Ecoxotic modules on splitter and dimmer but I've ordered another power supply so I can turn blue modules first and 1 hour later the white one on my Apex Jr.

• 4 weeks later...

I was really happy with the response from Ecoxotic support. Several leds on one of my module burned out or something happened inside the module so I opened a trouble ticket. I received a response immediately asking me for a copy of a receipt. After that a few hours later I got an email that the new module will be shipped to me. I purchased the module from an online retailer and they still stand by their product.

Pretty good customer service!!!

I have 1 12k/453 blue and 1 453 blue on its way. I am building a small mount to install them and I will post some pics once it's all installed, no sooner than Sunday.

Any pics of the mount?

I just got the 18" fixture only, from Ecoxotic today. Cant wait to slap in my Pro modules!

I'm going to use a single Ecoxotic PAR38 for when I QT my corals.

Does that count?

I'd like to join to but I'm only using their EcoPico strips. Do they count?

Rollermonkey

My "bulb" isn't here yet, but I'm making a "Gucci QT" with a Mr. Aqua tank, Eheim heater and Ecoxotic PAR38. I've got an IKEA desk lamp to elevate the PAR38 when it gets here.

Right now I only have a AquaClear20 HOB for filtration, though. I got that before I decided to go top dollar for everything else.

I'm still cycling, so my QT isn't wet yet...

DSC00029.jpg

(I need a better camera...)

Nano sapiens
With that said, it IS possible to grow coral under Stunners, with the exception of maybe adding more strips. There's a guy on Ecoxotics facebook page that has a gorgeous softy/lps tank grown under Stunners.

Birdsnest and Acros darken up considerably in my tank. I took it as excess produced zooxanthellae, because I dose phyto and oyster feast so often. Im interested in hearing what others have to say.

Having lost a ballast that ran (2) 12" NO T5's, I threw in my spare Stunner strips. I tried this once before and had the Rics turn green-ish and stressed out my Acans, but this time there was no color shift or other issues. I'm actually having success (good color and slow-moderate growth) with using just (2) 10k/Actinic Stunner strips with Ecoxotics individual reflectors plus (2) 12" NO T5s (Actinic and a 18K). SPS are about 10" away from the bulbs (M. setosa, M. undata, M. tuberculosa) and various other assorted stony corals (Leptastrea, Pavona maldivensis) are also doing well. Rics are on the bottom about 14" away and look happy.

I'd guess the system is putting out maybe 80-90 PAR at the tank's midpoint...if I'm lucky :)

12GNano060312.jpg

I've just finished switching over to all Ecoxotic LEDs in my BC29.

1 X 19W Panorama Pro 12K/445

1 X 19W Panorama Pro 445

2 X 6W Stunner 12K/445

1 X 6W Stunner Magenta/453

1 X 6W Stunner 403 UV

Total of 62W of LED lighting

Everything fits neatly in the stock hood inside the spash guard. The tank is staying steady at 77 degrees which is 1 degree cooler than with the stock PC's and Stunners. It is much brighter and the colors make me wish that I had run into a ballast problem with the stock lighting sooner. I just picked up a frag of purple tipped green frogspawn, a gorgeous green brain, and a trumpet. Hopefully a couple heads of metallic green frogspawn or hammer will come in at the LFS with their next shipment. They're going to hold it for me if it is nice. Once I get it, I'm going to do some aquascaping. The new stuff is just on the sand right now, but I plan to move it up to about mid tank next week. Here are some photos of the lighting. I'll get an FTS once I have things arranged and everything has had a chance to get happy.

415b5223.jpg

755daf51.jpg

Moved the trumpets up and snapped a quick photo. Obviously, I'm still having trouble trying to take pictures, needs some aquascaping, and everything isn't used to the new lights yet. The photo doesn't do it justice, but here it is.

P1000078.jpg

Still having trouble with the camera, but here is today after some slight scape work.

P1000087.jpg

Some more scape work.

P1000110.jpg

The Panorama Pros don't come with the reflectors. I think they just snap on and off like the stunners, but honestly, I'm not sure.

The Panorama Pros don't come with the reflectors. I think they just snap on and off like the stunners, but honestly, I'm not sure.

They don't snap on and off unfortunately. I've even cut my hand trying to get them off.

Rollermonkey

Yup. 6 blue, 4 white, 2 red. Can't wait to see it when I'm QT'ing corals.

It's a very patriotic device. ;)

Won't even need dimmability... I can raise the fixture up to about 16 inches and/or angle the light to increase the reflection off the water...

jedimasterben
1 PRO has a par value of 55 which is good for polyps and some LPS, it is not sufficient for SPS at all. A minimum of 2 to get started but you will need 3 PROs to have growth and corals that go "bam".

Even if you use two and can geta PAR value of 110, it's not enough for any SPS other than one species of acropora that I know of offhand, most SPS will need 250-300+. Their water penetration is also abysmal.

EDIT: I know now that that was a post from a while ago, but I wanted to point that out.

Archived