Coral Vue Hydros

Billdemart's Inhuman Creation Station (20 High)

Billdemart

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wondering if I should do some type of sponge or floss and/or carbon.....

Both are a good idea.

You can get a glass top made for your size aquarium at any box store, PetCo, PetSmart, whatever...

Any ideas as to where I should buy the carbon and floss, what kind and how I should implement it? (in the fuge I'm guessing somewhere?

Just checked the water after what 3 days?

Salinity - 1.025

Temp - 82 degrees

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0-0.2 I couldn't really tell

pH - 8.1

Alk - ~5.0???

This is pre-cured rock from here http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverock.html

Which he swears does not have to cycle no matter what anyone tells you but I still find that hard to believe. My rock I got from them doesn't look anything like that the corraline is extremely weak but I thought that was just due to being out of water. After 3 days (2 with lights) it doesn't look better. I assumed that is because it was going through the cycling process but I don't see any ammonia at all.

Not really sure what is going on.

Finally seeing some actual life... The first day there was tons of life in there then absolutely nothing...

Now I'm seeing the smallest snails I've ever seen in my life. 2 of them moving very slowly. Step in the right direction.

I hate my aquascape.. I guess I have a couple of weeks to work on it.

Lol, yep.

Just take a look at some tanks in the Members aquariums forum and find some aquascapes you like.

There's even a recent thread on best nano aquascapes, see if you can find it.

Probably in the General Forum.

Yeah I will do that, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and get a glass top for the tank and stick with the PC's for now. Don't need to spend much more money. I do want to do the purigen, filter floss, and chemipure pro or whatever but I don't know how to set it up in my Aquafuge 2.

I may just buy it and try and figure it out. The water is MUCH clearer now than it was a few days ago.

I'm going to move a heater into the fuge too and move my powerheads around.

Post a pic of the Aquafuge so we can help with Media placement.

I don't remember what the inside of them looks like.

Media is usually stacked beneath water intake, with floss on top and other Chemical filtration media beneath it in no particular order.

I think your decision on the lighting is a good one.

This way you have time to research exactly what kind of lighting you ultimately want to have instead of rushing into something.

And honestly, PC lighting will probably be fine for a few months.

"Starter corals" tend to be low light corals anyway, and your tank needs time to stabilize before you put more light demanding things in there.

Post a pic of the Aquafuge so we can help with Media placement.

I don't remember what the inside of them looks like.

Media is usually stacked beneath water intake, with floss on top and other Chemical filtration media beneath it in no particular order.

I think your decision on the lighting is a good one.

This way you have time to research exactly what kind of lighting you ultimately want to have instead of rushing into something.

And honestly, PC lighting will probably be fine for a few months.

"Starter corals" tend to be low light corals anyway, and your tank needs time to stabilize before you put more light demanding things in there.

Exactly what I was thinking, thanks.

I will post a few pics shortly.

that's a tough one...

looks like your only option would be to DIY some kind of media rack that would fit in that first compartment... and then cut off the down tube that the pump is feeding so the water showers down on top of the media???

:huh:

or add-on something like this:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...mp;pcatid=16742

That's what I was thinking too.

He could have StevieT make him a Media Rack if he doesn't want to make one himself.

He could probably make a cheap simple one on his own with eggcrate and PVC.

I can barely make a frozen pizza. So anything having me making anything is out. I don't DIY.

I'd rather pay someone to do it.

I'd rather do the pay Stevie T although I asked him already if they made for anything besides AIO's and he said no.

I'd rather not have to hang another thing on the tank.

Alright I messed with the scape. I like this one better even though it looks kind of funky, I can see what it will eventually look like stocked with coral. I am going to move my heaters and powerheads once I get that glass for the light.

I may even separate the space between the two sides and do the "two island" look while I'm doing that. Sorry the pics aren't great. iPhone terrible camera.

Still not many signs of life. Can't see any snails anymore, but I can see what looks like hair algae starting to grow....

0182.jpg

0172.jpg

0152.jpg

0122.jpg

0102.jpg

0082.jpg

You should put your heater into the aquafuge to eliminate some clutter in your DT. How does that skimmer work in the aquafuge btw? Is it loud/vibrate a lot or create a lot of micro bubbles?

Yeah I'm going to move them as soon as I put the glass up and rearrange everything.

I don't have a skimmer in the fuge.

Hah, my bad. It looked like it was the skimmer model.

I do have an old BakPak. I wonder if I should throw that on there?

You could. I run skimmerless because I don't like the noise and I think my clam appreciates the extra stuff in the water. I do change the water every 7-10 days though. I may be modding a aquaclear 70 into a fuge with some filter floss and carbon though to try and clean up the water a little bit. It has a slight smell of algae.

So you could run it but it comes down to personal preference. Many say that skimmers are not needed for small tanks like ours.

Yeah I didn't really want to run the skimmer but I do want the water cleaner. I was going to do floss, purigen chemipure but I can't figure out how to get it to work with the aquafuge.

your tank looks really smart, just built mine wishing id mad the false wall along the back haha, what live stock are you looking at adding?

DIY 20g

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=224603&hl=

Thanks! I like what you are doing can't wait to see it. I wish I was handy like that.

I would love to have a lot of GSP, Hammer, some leathers, brain, open brain, lots of zoas, and ricordia.

My kids really want some fish too but haven't decided what to do there. I want fish that are really easy to maintain and don't require complex food.

20H's are soo much fun....

Yeah I can't wait to get something in it.

I just turned the lights on and saw a little crab. Was pretty cool.

Day 6?

No real changes. Been topping off with a Kent Marine AquaDoser with RO/DI water every day trying to keep the level up. Some of the fans on my Coralife 96w hood are really loud. Wonder how easy they would be to replace. Probably 3 or 4 times louder than a CPU fan.

I need to do another water test, haven't done one in 3 days. Last water test showed absolutely nothing. I'm wondering if the LR is starting to have some die off yet.

I saw two really small aptaisia looking things on the top of the plateau on the left. About 30 seconds after I turned the lights on they both retracted really quickly and have stayed that way.

I can't find the crab I saw yesterday morning :(

He was so cool looking but I don't think he likes the lights either.

Looks like Algae is really starting to come in in spots on the LR.

The refugium seems really dead. Nothing at all going on there.

Patience, patience, patience.

Archived