Cultivated Reef

Jellyfish Art Desktop Tank

aj1980

nor_cal_nano
Has anyone purchased this Jellyfish tank?

JELLYFISH ART DESKTOP TANK

Tyring to find reviews from people who purchased them.

Sounds so good to be true. Setup takes 1 hour.

Thanks

I don't think so. There's like a 4 page thread regarding this topic already. Do a search on it real quick. I'd link it but I'm on my phone ATM

man that looks bleak for the jellies even though its all rounded kriesel-like and all...:) I wonder how they educate people on feeding them etc. I haven't looked very far into that thread or this company just guessing. at first I thought it was a biorb, looks like they took the design from them anyway. Id be curious to research the lifespan of these jellies in professional systems and then hear feedback as to how long they live in these systems as advertised.

now making this into a nano reef w coral, surely possible

B

actually, it's the girlfrend that wants the jellyfish tank.

I told her many times that it's going to be hard but, this website makes it sound so simple.

Trying to find people who can give me some reviews.

You, Mini-Man, takin' on the jellies. You've got serious thrill issues, dude. Awesome.

Finding%20Nemo%20-%20Cruisen%20With%20Crush%200129th8fz.jpg

link

hamiltonra25

Going to cost just as much as a nano to set up. 250 for the tank, 40 for each jelly fish and the food is 55 bucks. i hope they last a while at that cost

The part I can't figure out is where the biological filter is.

Are those marbles at the bottom srsly supposed be enough to provide a biological filter for the whole tank?

Something needs to take the place of live rock.

Also, they're saying you can just set it up and then add jellies.

What about cycling???

actually, it's the girlfrend that wants the jellyfish tank.

I told her many times that it's going to be hard but, this website makes it sound so simple.

Trying to find people who can give me some reviews.

Websites always make it sound easy so you'll BUY THEIR STUFF.

The part I can't figure out is where the biological filter is.

Are those marbles at the bottom srsly supposed be enough to provide a biological filter for the whole tank?

Something needs to take the place of live rock.

Also, they're saying you can just set it up and then add jellies.

What about cycling???

It's a Biorb, like the one I have/had. The bubble tube pulls water through a sponge in the base (not safe for jellies). The ceramic media that comes with the tank (not the marbles you see in the video, someone else switched the media) is very sharp and jagged (not safe for jellies) and I think the whole thing is a bad idea. Reef-One, the makers of the Biorb, give bad bad bad advice.

TheUnfocusedOne

Something just doesn't add up in these tanks...

I agree that the company needs to put thier money where thier mouth is and do a give away to prove this thing works as well as it does.

Or someone needs to bite the bullet and buy the things

just not me :lol:

I just seen that at my LFS and it was stocked with a couple upside down jellies (Cassiopea xamachana). Next time I'm back there I'm gonna ask some questions and get the run down on it, unless they are already dead.

Well thanks for posting that link, these are better researched then I had thought. Kudos to him for doing feeding research, I was waiting to see how he'd handle microscopic feed sources or if he'd even bother and offer this with tetra flakes...lol kudos to this guy and his marketing. Azoo has made a liquid jellyfish food for years now I was hoping he'd advocate colloidal/planktonic feeds of some type or another. I can't tell if he has been one of the posters on this thread or it's a business associate/clarify for me and I'll quit talking 2nd person about you alex lol

I haven't read to see if nettles are the same things as these casseo's (a word I cannot spell) but I was wondering if these were already short lifespan animals, like octo's, and moving them between different tanks really hasn't changed the outcome much. Now if they are kept for years in a large tank, and then close to that in these spheres, he's onto something big Id think. to me its all about the comparison to natural lifespans

b

• 11 months later...

I purchased the Desktop tank last month. I am sad to report that I cannot recommend this tank. I've lost three of the four jellies I originally purchased. On reflection this is likely due to a lack of experience, some bad luck, and over feeding. Though I still feel the tank is far from optimal for jellies.

With that said, JellyFishArt does provide good customer service. When the first two died, they readily provided store credit for replacements. Though I have not used this credit because I have no confidence that any new jellies I add will last. They have also been very willing to talk to me about all my issues. I believe have honestly tried to help.

After my complaints JellyFishArt has kindly offered me additional store credit and some advice. The shrinking may be due to ammonia spikes have been caused by over feeding. The rest may simply be bad luck and inexperience.

So I'm going to give this another shot, but I'm going to try using Azoo's Jelly Fish Food which was described earlier in this thread. I'm hopeful that this will help me not overfeed and prevent further issues. I'll post again to let everyone know if this works out or not.

Have you seen this book? Its very helpful, maybe you should try a different tank? I'm building one right now and it's not to hard, just takes some research.

But I was planning on getting my jellyfish from them, did they ship well and everything?

I don't know why there is two pictures sorry.

post-22691-1292756514_thumb.jpg

post-22691-1292756515_thumb.jpg

Have you seen this book? Its very helpful, maybe you should try a different tank? I'm building one right now and it's not to hard, just takes some research.

But I was planning on getting my jellyfish from them, did they ship well and everything?

I'm planning to buy the book. Though I hadn't intended to build my own tank. I'm not so good with DIY projects. I guess we'll have to see how inspiring the book is. *heh*

We picked my jellies up from their office to minimize stress. The packaging was good for transport, and the jellies seemed healthy for the first several hours. They just couldn't get off the bottom of the tank.

I was told this may be due to a difference in salinity; my tank was at 1.025 according to the hydrometer provided with the Desktop Tank. So you may want to try starting with a higher salinity so the jellies will be more buoyant when they arrive.

On a side note: I am now quite confident Alex was right: I was over feeding. Now that I've gone back to measuring each feeding, I see I was giving way too much. It took a few hours of careful work, but I successfully removed most of the uneaten food from the tank's bottom. Now it is just a mater of time to see if that was the cause of the shrinking.

Jellies are a LOT of work. I keep upside down jellies, which are supposed to be the easiest to maintain and I struggle to keep up with all of the work. Pelagic jellies, like moons, require more care and more advanced systems. I too just bought the biOrb to try this method of husbandry and I do think it's possible with a lot of hard work.

BTW you put the ceramic media under the stones, which is your bio filtration.

Jellies are a LOT of work.

BTW you put the ceramic media under the stones, which is your bio filtration.

I don't mind the hard work; I actually kinda enjoy it. I just wish I better understood what work needs to be done. This is my first saltwater tank.

The tank came with what I believe is crushed coral, which I've been using as bio-filtration. Would there be any benefit to switching this out for ceramic media?

I don't mind the hard work; I actually kinda enjoy it. I just wish I better understood what work needs to be done. This is my first saltwater tank.

The tank came with what I believe is crushed coral, which I've been using as bio-filtration. Would there be any benefit to switching this out for ceramic media?

What the tank came with is fine, it is ceramic media. IMO I don't believe jellies really need much of a bio system. Its very common to bleach an entire system for hydroids and algae, so you kill everything anyway. I empty my 30 gallon system completely and refill with new salt water quite regularly and have seen no ill affects on the jellies. Read the book by Chad Widmer, you can find most everything there.

What and how often are you feeding them? I feed mine selco enriched baby brine two times a day. All of the literature I've read have had the most success with brine. You want live food that stays suspended in the water colum for as long as possible, not frozen food that sinks to the bottom and rots. Also ensure your PH is around 8.2. The upside down jellies I keep are not affected by nitrates or ammonia that I can tell. From what I've read this species actually uses them for food, that's actually why you don't use a protein skimmer with jellies, you are robbing them of potential nutrients, much like a clam.

Before keeping jellies I did research for about a year to understand what I was getting into. My husband is a scientist and I have access to scientific databases that are use for academic and professional use. I've had access to various scientic articles including ones that are from the monterey bay aquarium to help me along. =) By no means am I an expert, but I did a heck of alot of reading and have been somewhat successful so far.

There is always something going on with the jelly tank. My husband calls them "Jelly Emergencies." LOL Its just par for the course!

I wish you luck! Jellies are awesome creatures!

I'm not sure if anyone posted this, but these tanks they used to sell were just re branded Biorbs with some cheap marable/etc.

If you really want a Jellyfish tank save yourself the money and buy a baby biorb with some marbles.

Archived