Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jellyfish Art Desktop Tank

aj1980

What and how often are you feeding them?

Also ensure your PH is around 8.2.

I am using the frozen food JellyFishArt sells. I was feeding twice a day using the 'swirl' method. That's how I ended up feeding way too much. It is incredibly hard to measure!

I can't find anywhere in my area to buy live baby brine - only adults. And I don't (yet) have the skills to hatch my own.

Ph is definitely at 8.2 and so far it has been stable.

I am using the frozen food JellyFishArt sells. I was feeding twice a day using the 'swirl' method. That's how I ended up feeding way too much. It is incredibly hard to measure!

I can't find anywhere in my area to buy live baby brine - only adults. And I don't (yet) have the skills to hatch my own.

Ph is definitely at 8.2 and so far it has been stable.

I'm glad you mentioned the skimmer. I am considering upgrading to this tank:

http://www.jelliquarium.com/productDetails...?ProductID=3183

But it includes a protein skimmer. This is a huge investment though, so I'd appreciate your opinion of this tank - seems like you really know your stuff. :)

This is a great setup. I believe the protein skimmer is optional, but I would ask the seller (Jim Stime??) what his opinion on skimmers is and use his recommendation. My advice before purchasing such an advanced sytem would be to first master hatching and harvesting brine shrimp. There is tons of great sites online that can help you out.Try Florida Aqua Farms, they sale a Plankton Culture Manual and beginner set ups to hatch brine. Once you are a proficient brine farmer and know the amount of work involved, then look at a more advanced system. I think the biOrb has the right idea and has a great potential to work for moon jellies.

From what I've read, jellies usually shrink from not enough food, the water quality is poor, or the temp is not right. While you may be over feeding the tank, the jellies may not be receiving enough nutrition. Do you target feed directly to each jelly? Your water quality sounds good. What is the temp? Try turning it up a degree of two and see if you notice any improvement.

How long have you had the jellies?

This is a great setup. I believe the protein skimmer is optional, but I would ask the seller (Jim Stime??) what his opinion on skimmers is and use his recommendation. My advice before purchasing such an advanced sytem would be to first master hatching and harvesting brine shrimp. There is tons of great sites online that can help you out.Try Florida Aqua Farms, they sale a Plankton Culture Manual and beginner set ups to hatch brine. Once you are a proficient brine farmer and know the amount of work involved, then look at a more advanced system. I think the biOrb has the right idea and has a great potential to work for moon jellies.

From what I've read, jellies usually shrink from not enough food, the water quality is poor, or the temp is not right. While you may be over feeding the tank, the jellies may not be receiving enough nutrition. Do you target feed directly to each jelly? Your water quality sounds good. What is the temp? Try turning it up a degree of two and see if you notice any improvement.

How long have you had the jellies?

*heh* I just got off the phone with Jim. He agrees the protein skimmer it totally unnecessary and that I should not buy it (it is optional).

I'll look into the 'harvesting brine shrimp' thing too. Thanks for the reference! :)

My nitrates were high; 40-60ppm. Though I'm hoping this will resolve soon as I just thoroughly cleaned the tank, filter, under the gravel, etc. It was pretty disgusting in there. :(

The temp is 78F; which is what they recommend. This system has no chiller - instead they tank raise the jellies in warm water. Do you think 80 would be better?

I've had Orange for about a month now. He is about half his original size. I am target-feeding him. I just switched to measuring the food a couple days ago and I'd like to think he's improving, but it is really too soon to tell.

the jellies may not be receiving enough nutrition.

You got me thinking on that one... Could it be possible the tank design is causing my jelly to use an excessive amount of calories? I made a video to illustrate his 'struggles'.

At 0:30-0:50 you can see him kinda stuck at the bottom. He does this a lot and it worries me. Strawberry, who recently passed on, was doing this all the time before he turned inside-out.

At 1:20-1:40 you can see him pulled in toward the bubble tube and then pushed across the surface and then against the tank wall.

At 1:40-1:55 you can see him trying to swim upward, but sinking between pulses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKF1oDevrZg

Maybe I'm seeing what I fear instead of the truth. I really don't understand jelly-swimming-dynamics well enough to know if this is normal or are tank design issues.

You got me thinking on that one... Could it be possible the tank design is causing my jelly to use an excessive amount of calories? I made a video to illustrate his 'struggles'.

At 0:30-0:50 you can see him kinda stuck at the bottom. He does this a lot and it worries me. Strawberry, who recently passed on, was doing this all the time before he turned inside-out.

At 1:20-1:40 you can see him pulled in toward the bubble tube and then pushed across the surface and then against the tank wall.

At 1:40-1:55 you can see him trying to swim upward, but sinking between pulses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKF1oDevrZg

Maybe I'm seeing what I fear instead of the truth. I really don't understand jelly-swimming-dynamics well enough to know if this is normal or are tank design issues.

The fact that he was able to reach the top is promising. He looked like he was swimming ok to me. How is the second one doing?

The fact that he was able to reach the top is promising. He looked like he was swimming ok to me. How is the second one doing?

Ok, I won't worry about it too much then. Though I'm upgrading to a Mini-Jelliquarium soon so it won't be an issue too much longer. *heh*

On my new jelly, he's having a tough time acclimating. But I think I'm doing the right stuff (read everything applicable in Chad Widmer's book). He's alternating between bursts of swimming in the upper levels and just 'resting' near the surface:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...385&cat=503

I turned off the filter for now cause it was pushing him up against the tank wall like a wet paper towel:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...384&cat=503

The holes you see in the pic where present before he was released and was not caused by the tank (this time). My guess is shipping damage.

Update 12/24 9:35am: He now seems to be stronger, so I turned the filter back on. He's swimming much more now, but still sometimes 'rests' and get stuck on the side of the tank. He also readily ate breakfast. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP8Kqmby398

Edit 12/24 6:05pm: The holes in his bell are definitely healing. :D

Edit 12/25 11:10am: I am pleased to report that the new jelly continues to heal and is now swimming almost constantly. I have named him Cherry. :)

But I was planning on getting my jellyfish from them, did they ship well and everything?

My latest jelly from them was shipped. It was in the box about 26 hours (based on shipping notify time). He arrived inverted, but self-corrected. He had a small hole and several dimples that I think were caused by stress-enzyme damage. And he was bit weaker than the batch I picked up. But with some TLC he is doing well now. :)

IMO, if you are local, pick them up! If not, shipping is 'ok'.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, for some odd reason, I started researching Jellyfish care yesterday and came across Jellyfish Art. I find it suspicious that they don't have any pictures of a tank fully set up. These tanks have no way to hide a heater and with a weak filter, the water's probably not very clear.

As Neet mentioned, I would recommend people just buying a biorb and some marbles. I made the early mistake of getting a biorb for my betta, hahaha and I never liked the idea of the filtration. How to biorbs use that airstone to filter? Do the air bubbles cause water to get sucked through the bottom, where that circular sponge is? Well, I sold my biorb sphere on craiglist. I was thinking it could be a pretty decent hydroponics tank or ant farm or something, heheh.

If I ever got jellyfish, I'd like to put them in another ReefOne tank (haha), the biorb life. I don't really care for spherical/cylindrical tanks because of the image distortion, but I think this could work. I hated my biorb sphere it was in effect a giant magnifying glass but I must admit, the acrylic was pretty decent.

biorb_life.jpg

Paired with some LEDs mods that would cycle through all the colors, I think it would make for a pretty sweet view. But maybe that's just all in my head and it would look terrible. I dunno, maybe you could drill into this thing and make a gentle overflow for sump or something.

I wouldn't put glass marbles on the bottom though. I really like super fine beach sand for something like this. No jellyfish for me though. I don't think I have the discipline to raise something past GSP and Xenia.

• 1 year later...
specialsocks

Please be careful and read the reviews before purchasing the jellyfish art tank. It definitely is too good to be true. I bought one and it has been a nightmare. The tank is highly flawed. As with many others who purchased this tank, the jellies get sucked in to the bubble chamber and bashed against the rocks. Despite meticulous maintenance and following the instructions exactly, it is nearly impossible to keep these things alive for more than a few weeks. The tank is not designed to handle small 1" and 2" jellies, but the company is shipping them out that small even when a 4" jellyfish is ordered instead. There is no filter, so the tank requires daily manual cleaning. The company has been good at dealing with customer problems and issuing refunds and i understand that this is a new product, but f you do still want to purchase this, please wait until the bugs have been fixed and know that it is a much bigger investment both mentally and financially than the initial tank and jellyish costs. Factor in the days you will miss from work waiting on replacement jellyfish shipments when they die. Factor in the modifications you will need to make to the tank yourself in order to make it not kill your jellyfish. Factor in the stress of nursing shredded jellyish back to health. Factor in all the research you will have to do on your own since very limited information is provided on the site or by the company. I would not recommend this tank to anyone and once the jellyfish have died i will not be replacing them.

I came across this conversation whilst searching for information about this tank and I would just like to add that I have also been 'stung' (sorry) by this aquarium.

Along with the jellies I added two clowns, some cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab and some snails to this 5 gal tank after reading and trusting advice on the jellyfish art facebook page. I came down one morning to find everything in the tank was dead bar the snails.

My fault for trusting the jellyfishart advice when they are obviously just saying anything to sell tanks. I will be using forums such as this for advice in the future.

Here's a bit more reading about the tanks for anyone contemplating buying one:

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/18/desktop...s-sting-owners/

http://www.betabeat.com/2012/03/15/jellyfi...sh-death-traps/

I came across this conversation whilst searching for information about this tank and I would just like to add that I have also been 'stung' (sorry) by this aquarium.

Along with the jellies I added two clowns, some cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab and some snails to this 5 gal tank after reading and trusting advice on the jellyfish art facebook page. I came down one morning to find everything in the tank was dead bar the snails.

My fault for trusting the jellyfishart advice when they are obviously just saying anything to sell tanks. I will be using forums such as this for advice in the future.

Here's a bit more reading about the tanks for anyone contemplating buying one:

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/18/desktop...s-sting-owners/

http://www.betabeat.com/2012/03/15/jellyfi...sh-death-traps/

There's a point where responsibility is spread to the person setting the tank up in addition to the people giving advise, and I think you got to that point.

Is existential to research all information you get in this hobby at several different sources. A quick google search for 'Jellyfish tank mates' shows that you definitely cannot put anything with jelly's. Most of the links on the first page even give you a basic care for them.

Jellyfish are not for beginners. I repeat: they are not for beginners. Due too their unique needs for housing, and delicate body-structure, they shouldn't be kept by anyone but the highly skilled. Yes, I know the company said it was easy to keep them, but look back up to the previous paragraph.

But even worse was the fact that you also put two clowns in that tank. I mean, really? It's so common of knowledge that they can't be kept in tanks under 10 gallons that there is no excuse to what you did. What did you think would happen, that they'd be all happy with their stinging death-mates?

Archived