Top Shelf Aquatics

biorb=jellyfish tank?

Siren's eye

I saw this on u-tube. is it possible? Can you keep jellies in a biorb? It seems like it COULD work, but I don't think it could be that simple.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My jaw just dropped... I have never been a fan of the BiOrbe line but this... is awesome. It would be great for some comb jellies. B)

My only concern is that I always thought jellies needed 'perfect' conditions. With practically only a sponge filter, is this feasible?

it says they modify the biorb for the jelly but what do they do. To me it looks like a basic biOrb. I really want to venture on this. My wife is totaly down for this as well.

The only mod that I could see was that they added polished glass beads to the bottom so that it doesn't chop them up. (In my book that doesn't even count as a mod)

Bleh.

Lol, don't be lame Lalani.

Yeah I'd love to do this too but it seems fishy to me. It's so tempting just to do it for only $250 for the whole thing but I'll need more convincing.

couldn't you do this in any round container with a sponge filter and air stone in the middle? Since some people think it might be a feasible idea I might just give it a try one day.

couldn't you do this in any round container with a sponge filter and air stone in the middle? Since some people think it might be a feasible idea I might just give it a try one day.

The biggest thing about jellies is that they are extremely soft. An exposed sponge filter would chop them up. Jellies require a round aquarium with light water movement to keep them from getting caught in the corners or the filter. This generally requires a specialized aquarium ( http://www.jelliquarium.com/ ) to pull this off, the idea of using a BiOrbe is a cheap(er), more accessible way of achieving this.

A sponge filter could chop them up? seriously?

Yes, anything that they can rub on, that isn't smooth, would tear into them. It may not chop them up in the sense of what a blade would do, but repeated rubbing on the sponge could/would mess them up.

I'm sure that someone on NR has experience in keeping jellyfish and could give better advise, I am only speaking from what I have read, heard, and observed.

Archived