Pod Your Reef

Gulf's AP24

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

The bigger one you see on most of the pics kept it under the overflow and hiding most of the time and I don't think it was feeding enough. He also looked pretty beat up so I'm pretty shure it was just stressed from the other fish. I need to get to work soon on getting that 40 set up so this becomes less of a problem.

gulfsurfer101
damn that sucks man, you got a mean ass female on your hands.

Yeah I might take it to the lfs and just go for some credit towards something a little less agressive.

gulfsurfer101
Yea that sounds like a good plan, and then you can get a pair of Picassos

I wanted to do that for a while and the most suprising thing is my wife is actually game for a pair of pics. She thinks they look cool and gave me the ok for them if I give her the same spending cash for whatever she wants. I don't know if 600 bucks for a pair of fish is worth it though since that's most likely what they will run me in the long run so I'm thinking a pair of naked clowns for the 40br. I'm also feeling th itch to travel this weekend and head to a lfs out of town to scout what's new.

gulfsurfer101

So I just ordered 30# of LR for the 40br so that gives me a very short time to get an overflow and stand put together. I can get away with the ten till at least next week till I'm able to get a nice 20L sump put together.

gulfsurfer101
Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Alchohol for the nerves connectected to the wallet. JK, I plan on getting the lumber for the stand and acrylic for the over flow this weekend and getting things put together.

gulfsurfer101

Sunset montipora is one of my top faves, I ended up trading the smaller one out for the 40br so the tank only cost me just a little over 2 bucks out of pocket which is a hell of a deal to me, I think. When the larger one grows out and I make a cut at it I'll let you know since I rather offer anything I got to locals first. Probably won't be for a while though since I really have bad luck with fragging monti's and am still a bit skeered. As far as progression goes for my 40br, buying the rocks has seemed to push me into getting some things done. I went out today and bought a 20L for my sump along with some acrylic and have set the first four baffles in but ran out of silicone. I plan on picking back up tommorrow and finding some thicker acrylic for my overflow. The stand will have to wait till next week though and I'll just let the rock cure in a plastic bin till I'm ready to set up and cycle it in.

gulfsurfer101

I'm taking the day off since I talked to the owner of one of our lfs here and to have the stand put together for the tank pretty cost the same as buying one at petco I think I'm going to go that route. I think I'm headed out for a surf and doing a 5g wc later on today.

I'm lovin those frags! :) I had to buy a bunch of clean-up crew so I'm in the process of trying to convince my parents to give me 25 bucks to send to you that I can pay them back later... Hopefully they'll give in :P

gulfsurfer101
I'm lovin those frags! :) I had to buy a bunch of clean-up crew so I'm in the process of trying to convince my parents to give me 25 bucks to send to you that I can pay them back later... Hopefully they'll give in :P

No prob, theyre not going anywhere anytime soon. Take your time and just let me know when you want me to ship them over. I made a couple more frags today while I was doing the latest water change. I'm going to post a few pics up soon.

gulfsurfer101

Latest pics taken today!

mohawks with atl ultimate rainbow

coralsNkids2042.jpg

frag rack

coralsNkids2049.jpg

sps frag I cut today

coralsNkids2047.jpg

some caps and others

coralsNkids2054.jpg

hawks frag

coralsNkids2055.jpg

sand bed shot

coralsNkids2053.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Thanks gerb, I started working on my sump for my 40br with frags in mind. I plan making the first chamber of my sump a fuge for macro and pods then the middle part will be a frag tank into the final sump and return section with room for my skimmer and some other equipment.

I got about half the baffles in but definately need more silicone to get the rest put in.

coralsNkids2063.jpg

Side by side

coralsNkids2065.jpg

I think the combintion of these two tanks will come out to make a sweet set up.

gulfsurfer101

I think the 20l is just an awsome tank for anything and it really gives me room to do the aio sump/fuge thing with room for extra's. I'm probably going to take the tank to the guy who's going to build the stand for me to also build an overflow box and return set up since my diy skills are still pretty weak and I just simply don't have the time to do this stuff.

gulfsurfer101
im diggin the old sand. you stickin with it?

Was thinking about it. I just added the sand when I moved. I need to get another bag to fill out the bigger scape though.

Sweet! I'd really love to learn how to make a sump because I was thinking of hooking one up to the RSM to go in the cabinet underneath. I saw someone do it and they used it as a frag tank and it was really nice. Even if I don't do it for a while do you think you could teach me the basics of how to make one?

And the frags look super nice. :)

gulfsurfer101
Sweet! I'd really love to learn how to make a sump because I was thinking of hooking one up to the RSM to go in the cabinet underneath. I saw someone do it and they used it as a frag tank and it was really nice. Even if I don't do it for a while do you think you could teach me the basics of how to make one?

And the frags look super nice. :)

I'm just barely winging it myself and am just going on what I think will work from what I've seen done in the past and trying to incorporate that into this design. It's really kind of cheap how I'm squaring everything up by using old cd cases to get the space between the baffles and height of them from the floor. The ten gallon split sump/fuge I have on my ap24 would be good for your rsm. I could definately help you put one of those togehter and tell you where and what matererial to get to do it. It shouldn't much more than 20bucks including the tank.

That would be awesome! And my parents are willing to advance some money, but not until this friday so friday I will send it. And do you mind if I do check of money order? which do you prefer? I just don't wanna send cash in the mail :P

gulfsurfer101

If you do a po money order I can just cash it there and send it out at the same time I think. I need to give you my new adress I think since the last one you have is probably not current. Hopefully the frags I send you will help out your tank after your little ph problem. That frogspawn was sweet looking and wanted to add one to this tank but they get way to big. I might have room now after getting the 40 set up.

Archived