Pod Your Reef

WTF! My Mushroom ate my Clown Fish !

B_Kurzweil

I can't even beleive it, I came home from work tonight to find my clown fish cocooned inside my mushroom?

I had to cut the shroom open with a razor blade to get him out. I will post a pic when I calm down.

Has this ever happened to anybody?

post-33947-1202354787_thumb.jpg

post-33947-1202354821_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't even beleive it, I came home from work tonight to find my clown fish cocooned inside my mushroom?

I had to cut the shroom open with a razor blade to get him out. I will post a pic when I calm down.

It did to me the other day

then I realized I was full of it.

Actually, I had to remove a large Green Hairy Mushroom (about 5" inches in diameter) from my Goby Garden tank cause it kept trying to eat my yellow clown goby when it would perch on it. Damn near succeeded one time. I almost had a fargin' heart-attack.

-Prof

Actually, I had to remove a large Green Hairy Mushroom (about 5" inches in diameter) from my Goby Garden tank cause it kept trying to eat my yellow clown goby when it would perch on it. Damn near succeeded one time. I almost had a fargin' heart-attack.

-Prof

LOL

wat kind of mushroom was it? lol first time i heard about that kind of stuff.

Check the pic's LOL I never heard of it either

if it was already dead, i would have left it in there, yOu would have ended up with a lot more mushrooms.... evil carniverous killer mushroms.... you could have made a fortune selling: LE real purple clown eater mushrooms LOL

I just got some green hairy shrooms. Yesterday when I was feeding mysis one landed on a hairy shroom and I was suprised to see how quickly it closed up like the one in your pic. My clown has tried to host a large brown shroom but I've never seen him touch the hairy ones. When I bought these I thought maybe the clown would like them. Now I hope he stays away from them. This is a pic when I first got them. They have since colored up nicely.

post-31916-1202355935_thumb.jpg

post-33947-1202354787_thumb.jpg

post-33947-1202354821_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty insane...My mushrooms eat any leftovers from feeding but never anything living. What species of mushroom BTW?

I dont think you mentioned whether the fish survived. Did it?

Nope he was dead. I took the rock out and cut it out. it was like watching birth.

I figured no one was safe until I flushed that dam mushroom down the drain!!! LOL

Was it the hairy mushroom on the lower right hand side of your first tank pic? Did the fish survive?

Yes it was, and no he didn't :-(

Thats pretty insane...My mushrooms eat any leftovers from feeding but never anything living. What species of mushroom BTW?

Green Hairy?

Can you post a better pic of the mushroom when open?

Only one I have. Sorry

feed me seymour!!!

That is pretty damn crazy.

Even in the first pic it looks like that thing is up to something, you should've seen the signs....duh.

Nope he was dead. I took the rock out and cut it out. it was like watching birth.

I figured no one was safe until I flushed that dam mushroom down the drain!!! LOL

You could have just cut it into smaller pieces and make smaller shrooms

I used to have a clown that hosted a mushroom. The mushroom would try and close up around the clown but the fish would swim furiously in circles and open it back up to the point where it would form a cup for the fish to lay in. Maybe yours got a little too comfortable and fell asleep in its mushroom bed and paid the price?

BustytheSnowMaam

I'm not criticizing you or anything, but this is a good example of how you need to research before you buy. Hairy mushrooms do eat fish- they're like venus flytraps. The plain old purple or striped mushrooms don't.

I'm not criticizing you or anything, but this is a good example of how you need to research before you buy. Hairy mushrooms do eat fish- they're like venus flytraps. The plain old purple or striped mushrooms don't.

I had know idea, The fish was a prety good size.

I received the shroom and the fish from a fellow reefer who has had it in his tank for quite some time without issue.

I will be doing my homework from now on but really never thought that could happen.

So would it be best to make sure the hairy mushroom stay small? I was told you can cut them in half or quarters to propagate them but I've never tried this. :huh:

Archived