inTank Media Baskets

BelowH2O's 10 gallon AGA

BelowH2O

Hey everyone, I've been hanging around these forums for around three months now and I finally decided to get off my butt and take some pics of my tank. I inherited this tank from a friend who gave up on freshwater because it was *sigh* "too hard" as I hadn't taken the plunge from fresh to salt yet, I considered this my perfect opportunity. Here is the tank at three months old...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setup:

-10 gallon AGA

-DIY 60 watt NO canopy (2 actinic, 2 10K)

-25 watt submersible heater

-Rio 90, and 400 powerheads

-Fluval 204, I run this with carbon and sponges, which I clean during water changes

-8 lbs fiji liverock

-5 lbs Tonga branch liverock

-1 bag Carib Sea aragonite

Livestock:

-Purple Firefish (died)

-Six-line Wrasse (died)

-2 cleaner shrimp

-lots of Astrea snails

-a couple blue legged hermits

-a couple red reef hermits

-Green Striped Mushrooms

-Xenia

-Green Star Polyps

-Orange and Brown Zoanthids

-Blue Ricordia

-Blue striped mushrooms

-Irridescent blue/purple dotted mushroom

-Red Blastomussa W.

-Purple/red w/lime rings, Blastomussa W.

-Devil's Hand

-Orange Ricordia Yuma

-Various different color zoas

-Brown Palythoa

Plus the normal assortment of pods, worms, sponges, small feather dusters etc...

Additives:

I try not to add much, but what has proved successful so far is:

-Kent Liquid calcium: I dose this twice a week, 2-4 drops depending on the last time I changed water.

-Kent Coral Accel: Seems to make everything look a little more full and healthy. I use this once a week dosing around four drops, I found this dose increases the growth rate, without anything getting out of control. (I don't use this the weeks of my water change)

-Kalkwasser: I use this in my top off water which I usually replace when needed.

-Mysis Shrimp: I feed the tank once a week with about half a cube...the blastos, ricordia, and cleaner shrimp really love this treat.

I have planned to add more live rock, but at the moment I am holding off because I have been buying larger frags and I feel if I add too much rock right now it will give me less options for frag placement.

That's a good looking tank. I'm always excited to see someone use a 10g rather than a minibow or nanocube and you've done a bang up job so far. Please keep us updated.

Best,

Phil

I don't know about adding more lr, it looks fine to once it fills out some. I added alot to my cube, but now I think I have too much and not alot of swimming room for the clown so I will be upgrading tanks soon from a 12 cube to 37 cube.

I like it the way it is.

Quandry_23,

Thanks for the reply. Really the more I think about it the less I feel I need more liverock. I think your right about the tank filling in. Once I put a couple more frags in it should be smooth sailing.

I meant to ask...is the 37 gallon your upgrading to a cube? I've been thinking about setting up an oceanic 30 gallon.

The epitome of a college student...propagating shrooms in spare jello shot cups! I cut a circle in the lid in order for the fragments to get some flow without blowing away in the current. After a week or so I place all the cuttings on a frag of liverock and rubberband a piece of mesh silk fabric over the rock. I have made one rock so far with three heads and total attachment time was a little over two weeks. Pretty good for my first time I think? Let me know if you have any more questions or suggestions. Here are some pics...

• 2 weeks later...

Green and blue mushroom frag/cuttings, blue/purple ricordia cutting...anyone in central TX with ricordia/zoos/shrooms want to trade, let me know!

Yeah, the lack of a surface skimmer has been bugging me for a while. I do have my Rio 90 pointed upwards to disturb the surface, but it only helps a small area, somewhere around 5 x 5 inches. One solution I tried was to buy the surface skimmer attachment for my fluval, only to the dismay of it being huge and taking up a big chunk of my tank ( I scrapped that idea). Using the same filtration I have, does anyone have some ideas for a small surface skimmer? I have thought about setting up an overflow to sump, but at the moment its not very cost effective. So, for now I change the water bi-monthly, top-off every few days, and have the powerhead pointed up there (seems to keep the film somewhat in check).

~BH20

Archived