Cultivated Reef

Racers 12g NanoDX

racer_X_123

Current FTS 01/24/13
P1240202.jpg

So this has been a long time coming because I started this tank back in June of this year and here it is already November!

ANYWAYS... Here are the details

Equipment:
JBJ Nano-Cube 12DX
Aqueon 50W Heater
Maxi-jet 900 and Maxi-jet 600
Hydor rotating Deflector
Magfloat scrubber
Steves Nano Retrofit with 7 RB 5 NW 2 CB 3W LEDs

Filtration
Chamber 1
Filter floss
Chamber 2
Chemi pure elite and GAC
Chamber 3
Purigen

Fish and Livestock
1 Clown Fish
1 Citron Clown Goby
1 Electric Blue Hermit

Corals
SPS
Pink Poccilipora
Acropora

LPS
Hammerhead
Neon Green Candy Cane
Duncan
green acan

soft and zoa
1 florida Ric
3 Yuma Ric
Purple Death
Nuclear Green
misc others

and on to the pictures!

Front of Tank Shot
Whites turned up to show good color
DSC01906.jpg
Flash used
DSC01905.jpg
LEDs at dimmest setting (light acclimating right now)
DSC01904.jpg

Top of tank Shot
DSC01907.jpg

Close ups of some of the corals
DSC01908.jpg
DSC01909.jpg
WP_000243.jpg
WP_000241.jpg

Any suggestions on my aquascape? I have not been to happy with it but I am not sure why. I know I has that "pile of rocks" look to it but I dont want to raise any out of the sand for fear of releasing so bad juju in my tank!

Thanks

Your tank man, I say rescape it if you want!

Kinda did a minor rescape and bought 3 new frags from Fantastic Frags (www.fantasticfrags.com). Anyone in the 805 area should come and check out his stuff. Nice guy and a GREAT selection!

Anyways, Here is a few cell phone pics of the new arrangement and new corals!

Here is a piece of tabling acropora

WP_000336.jpg

Pink Birdsnest

WP_000337.jpg

A frag of monti

WP_000338.jpg

Moved a rock to make a larger arch and less piled look of the rocks.

WP_000339.jpg

WP_000340.jpg

New corals look like good sized pieces. But they need to be placed higher as you probably know. Once they are done acclimating of course.

yeah I thought that they were pretty good sized pieces for the price! Whenever I tell people who dont know saltwater I spent $60 on the three the look on their face is priceless!

I am going to move them up higher on the rock on Tuesday, that will have been a week since I got them and they should be used to my LEDs by then as I am still in the process of ramping them up.

Good idea. I use a magnetic frag rack like an elevator, slowly moving the frags up a notch every day after theyve been in the sand for a few days.

I REALLY like that Idea... Then maybe my stupid hermit will leave them alone..........

Wishful thinking Im sure!

Crabs. Shrug. I found my porcelain sleeping on my poor clam last night. He got the beating stick!

temporary-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the new corals moved up higher on the rocks!

We have the same tank, I just think mine is an older model.

I would rescape the rocks before you place the corals, you are more then welcome to take a look at my thread and steal some ideas and there is a thread in the beginners forum with people who have placed pics to help someone with scaping a nano as well.

Otherwise I love it. ;)

We have the same tank, I just think mine is an older model.

I would rescape the rocks before you place the corals, you are more then welcome to take a look at my thread and steal some ideas and there is a thread in the beginners forum with people who have placed pics to help someone with scaping a nano as well.

Otherwise I love it. ;)

Thanks guys! I am liking the right side of the scape, its just the left that I having a bit of an issue with.

I also may want to move the monti over a little bit because I am not sure how it will attach to the rock where it is at. Also how it will influence flow once it gets large.

• 2 weeks later...

Its kinda fuuny actually,

I was in a rush to install it so I just plugged in the WHOLE tank to the UPS... Lights, both pumps, Skimmer, EVERYTHING!

I have some time off this week so I am going to change it so that just the smallest pump and the heater are on the backup power.

So for whatever reason the tabling acropora is not doing well... I moved it higher thinking that might have been a problem but after seeing some of my other corals showing signs of TOO much light I moved it to a lower position and dimmed my leds a little to help overall.

Everything else looks great and us growing like weeds!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a clam. Pics to come soon!

Also I think my LEDs are too high, about 70-80% and I think it is causing my Monti cap to bleach out. I can still see green polyps, but there is a white/cream colored area...

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
racer_X_123

Its been awhile but i thought I would update. The Clam has died (I think it starved since i added some GFO). My pink Birdsnest that was bleached started to RTN so i fragged it the other day. I moved it to try to help with the color coming back thinking it was too high, but I think i stressed it and it died.

All and all my parameters are really stable. Im dosing .6dkh/day at night and 4ml of reef fusion part 1 every morning.

Archived