Cultivated Reef

Tiepilot68's 20L back from the grave

tiepilot68

tiepilot68

OK, so over the past few years I've let my 20L go downhill. But about a month ago I did a massive cleanup job which included (but definitely not limited to) a complete water and live sand change (seeded with about half of my old live sand). Picked tons of macro algae off of my rocks. Had to remove alot of things that were just beyond redemption.

Bought a few new corals and a new cleanup crew, replaced MH bulb.

After the cleanup, this is what I had to start with. Yikes. (In the shot, Mater the worlds toughest and meanest fire clown...about 7 years old! Given to a buddy with a 250 gallon)

And my one remaining coral..my faithful Hammer. Down but not dead.

before.jpg

The New Beginning!

Equipment

Tank: 20g Long

Lighting: 175w MH Coralife 20k / PFO pendant / ballast (reading up on LED options)

Filtration: Live rock / sand / Penn-Plex Canister filter with bio balls and zeolite

Tom Aquarium surface skimmer for canister filters.. (by god this little 10 dollar gem works wonderfully!!!)

Corals:

Hammer

Galaxy coral

Duncan

Blue Ricordea frag

Neon Green Zoo's

Watermelon Zoo's

Various Zoa frags

5 different SPS,- not sure on positive ID

Bright red Acan

Very light purple / cream Acan colony, about 6 1/2 inches across.

GSP's

Pulsing Xenia

FISH

1 Lone but happy Clownfish named Glub Glub

Here is the latest FTS as of 12-2-12 After spending 4 hours drilling holes and using dowels and epoxy to rescape the rockwork.

IMG_0058.jpg

I plan on putting everything over into a new as of yet un-purchased shallow rimless. When I do I will update this thread with new pics.

Thanks for looking! Its good to be back!

post-8578-1339217778_thumb.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tiepilot68

Another couple of pics.

I love these Zoo's :D

post-8578-1339219369_thumb.jpg

My Duncan. Love to watch this feed on little pieces of brine shrimp I give him once a week.

post-8578-1339219597_thumb.jpg

albertthiel

Welcome back and yes keep posting especially when you have the new tank up ...

Albert

OK, so over the past few years I've let my 20L go downhill. But about a month ago I did a massive cleanup job which included a complete water and live sand change (seeded with about half of my old live sand).

Bought a few new corals and a new cleanup crew.

Corals:

Hammer

Bubble coral

Duncan

Blue Ricordea frag

Neon Green Zoo's

Watermelon Zoo's

GSP's

No fish yet. Going to wait for a bit.

Here is a recent FTS.

post-8578-1339217778_thumb.jpg

Sorry that its a cruddy smartphone pic.

I plan on putting everything over into a new as of yet un-purchased shallow rimless. When I do I will update this thread with new pics and get opinions on which fish I should stock.

Thanks for looking! Its good to be back!

I'm going to have a local glass company cut me the panels I need for a 24" x 24" x 12" going to attempt the silicone job myself.

I've seen several great how-to's on doing this here in nanoreef and plan to read up before attempting anything.

But does anyone have any protips or advice to add before I do this?

albertthiel

Read up a lot and ask the place where you get the glass for additional advice. Too hard to explain in a short post ... it's not that difficult but you need to pay attention to what pieces you glue first and you will need sticking tape to hold the glass together while the silicone dries ...

Do a lot of reading up and ask a lot of questions ...

Albert

I'm going to have a local glass company cut me the panels I need for a 24" x 24" x 12" going to attempt the silicone job myself.

I've seen several great how-to's on doing this here in nanoreef and plan to read up before attempting anything.

Read up a lot and ask the place where you get the glass for additional advice. Too hard to explain in a short post ... it's not that difficult but you need to pay attention to what pieces you glue first and you will need sticking tape to hold the glass together while the silicone dries ...

Do a lot of reading up and ask a lot of questions ...

Albert

Thanks Albert. I constantly read read read before doing anything I've never tried before. I read for over a year before putting my current tank together.

I'm running a conister filter now and have good luck with it. Buuuut I'm thinking of turning my current 20l into a sump...another thing I've never done before. Yikes.

albertthiel

Good for you, that is how to do it ... read and plan and take your time and never rush IME is the better way to go and results in less problems in the long run

Good luck ... yes a sump is a good idea and you can make part of it a refugium for cleaners and harvesters of nitrate and phosphate (add algae but IME not Caulerpa) ...

Albert

Thanks Albert. I constantly read read read before doing anything I've never tried before. I read for over a year before putting my current tank together.

I'm running a conister filter now and have good luck with it. Buuuut I'm thinking of turning my current 20l into a sump...another thing I've never done before. Yikes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've reworked the scape recently and added a beautiful Onyx Misbar clown to the tank. Here is the most recent FTS taken today. Unfortunately, I have come to realize my droid take really really REALLY bad Windex blue pictures with nasty pixelation so please use your imagination. Things really do look alot prettier in real life lol.

post-8578-1340669436_thumb.jpg

The more I work with getting things back on track with this tank the more I'm having second thoughts on going shallow rimless..... ARGE!!!! The decisions!

Anyway... sorry for the horrible pictures!

Thanks! He, (probably she but dont tell my 6 year old son that! lol) is so cute and friendly!!

I want to introduce a tiny male into the tank soon to see if I can pair them. Worried about the damsel I left in. Hes friendly enough towards the large clown but afraid he will nip any smaller addition to its grave.

Any thoughts?

I'd like to donate him back to my LFS (lol rent-a-damsel) but my son really loves him and named him vader. :D

albertthiel
I've reworked the scape recently and added a beautiful Onyx Misbar clown to the tank. Here is the most recent FTS taken today. Unfortunately, I have come to realize my droid take really really REALLY bad Windex blue pictures with nasty pixelation so please use your imagination. Things really do look alot prettier in real life lol.

post-8578-1340669436_thumb.jpg

The more I work with getting things back on track with this tank the more I'm having second thoughts on going shallow rimless..... ARGE!!!! The decisions!

Anyway... sorry for the horrible pictures!

Why would you not go rimless (I have a 20H regular style) and am wondering why you stated you are hesitating to go rimless

Only because this one is starting to do so well. Way back in '04 when I 1st joined nano-reef someone gave me some great advice; If something is working well don't change it and keep your hands out of the tank. Lol.

Eh I'll give in eventually and make the change though I'm sure. :D

albertthiel
Only because this one is starting to do so well. Way back in '04 when I 1st joined nano-reef someone gave me some great advice; If something is working well don't change it and keep your hands out of the tank. Lol.

Eh I'll give in eventually and make the change though I'm sure. :D

Best advice you ever got ... if it works don't fix it ... :0

Alber

I dusted off the old cannon sure shot that I nearly forgot I had and snapped a few random pictures. Not great, but tons better than my Droid. :)

My Favorite coral with its Fangs out!!! With duncan to the right. (Vader and Fette in the background)... they are such buddies now lol

Fangs.jpg

Getting all kinds of new growth on my hammer.

newgrowth.jpg

These are really that bright! (sorry for the reflection)

zoas.jpg

My Rics (recently split and doing well!!)

Ric.jpg

And finally a side view.

Side.jpg

Hope you like!!

albertthiel
I dusted off the old cannon sure shot that I nearly forgot I had and snapped a few random pictures. Not great, but tons better than my Droid. :)

My Favorite coral with its Fangs out!!! With duncan to the right. (Vader and Fette in the background)... they are such buddies now lol

Fangs.jpg

Getting all kinds of new growth on my hammer.

newgrowth.jpg

These are really that bright! (sorry for the reflection)

zoas.jpg

My Rics (recently split and doing well!!)

Ric.jpg

And finally a side view.

Side.jpg

Hope you like!!

Very nice ... if you feel like it can you copy and paste the message and post it to my thread (in sig) Trying to get as many pics there as possible. Just a request you do not have to if you don't want to ... Very nice pics and tank and I guess the Camera did a good job indeed

Albert

albertthiel
You betcha buddy.

Copy-n-paste job done. :)

Seen it ... thanks I appreciate it ... anytime ...

Albert

A few more pictures:

A closeup of my Bubble Coral. I think these coral are so beautiful.

bubblecloseup.jpg

And so does Fette my Clown!.... She seems pretty interested in it lately... Maybe a possible host????

IMG_0013.jpg

Finally got a decent picture of my Rics.. my little cannon wont do great macro, this is pushing its limits.

riccloseup.jpg

albertthiel
A few more pictures:

A closeup of my Bubble Coral. I think these coral are so beautiful.

bubblecloseup.jpg

And so does Fette my Clown!.... She seems pretty interested in it lately... Maybe a possible host????

IMG_0013.jpg

Finally got a decent picture of my Rics.. my little cannon wont do great macro, this is pushing its limits.

riccloseup.jpg

SUPER

A new addition to the tank.

Spotted Hawkfish. :)

Hanging out in a cave until he gets acclimated to his new home better. So far so good with the tank mates.

hawk2.jpg

hawk1.jpg

Hes eating pellets well already. Will have to work at keeping him well fed so he will leave my crabs and snails alone. :o

How is the onyx clown doing btw? :D

Shes doing great! Thanks for asking. :)

Shes eating well, exploring well and the spot hasn't changed in size or appearance.

Ive noticed, that while she gives my bubble coral due respect she does rub the tip of her chin into it now and then perhaps building up immunity to its sting while deciding if she wants to host in it. Maybe this has caused her skin to lighten in that spot???

Love your Picasso btw! That is one beautiful clown wow. omgomgomg

Deleted User 4
Shes doing great! Thanks for asking. :)

Shes eating well, exploring well and the spot hasn't changed in size or appearance.

Ive noticed, that while she gives my bubble coral due respect she does rub the tip of her chin into it now and then perhaps building up immunity to its sting while deciding if she wants to host in it. Maybe this has caused her skin to lighten in that spot???

Love your Picasso btw! That is one beautiful clown wow. omgomgomg

Thanks!! Sounds like it'll be fine. Just give it some time to get use to the place ahah.

tank looking good

Thanks! Even though I've been in this hobby for over 8 years I still feel very much like a newbie and keep the attitude that I've got alot to learn. Because I REALLY do!

I'm pretty landlocked here in southern Illinois and the ONLY halfway sorta decent LFS around is Petco. (gasp) I recently discovered a great place about 110 miles away from me and am planning a trip there, but until then my non online purchases are very limited. Most everything I have has come from petco.. I sometimes feel like I'm rescuing pets from a shelter there!

Was told last time I was there that they can't seem to keep the clownfish they get in alive long enough to sell them!! :o

Glad I rescued Fette then!

My Brother is a photographer and has some amazing equipment. He's promised to come over soon and bring a real camera lol. When that happens I will be posting alot more pics!

Until then here are a few more random fts.

randomshot3.jpg

randomshot9.jpg

randomshot4.jpg

Archived