Top Shelf Aquatics

PSYS' 40 Breeder Reef Build...

PSYS

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm giving you to weeks to get this show on the road. After that, I'm through with you. jk. I really like 40b's. What are your plans for stock? Sorry if you already said that.

I am currently piecing together things for my first reef tank using this same 40b

I will be following your build and using yours as a sort of template for lighting and other equipment

Thank you

jason

I love 40 breeders B) good luck and I'll be watching.

Thanks, man! I appreciate that...

I'm giving you to weeks to get this show on the road. After that, I'm through with you. jk. I really like 40b's. What are your plans for stock? Sorry if you already said that.

For stock, I'm going to keep mostly SPS corals along with the zoas/palys that I really came to love in my previous 3-gal. pico tank. I may add an LPS or two to add texture to the tank, but for the most part - I'd like to go mostly SPS.

Thanks for watching!!

what are you doing for flow?

Good question... aside from the return back to the tank with my return pump, I've got my powerhead options up in the air at the moment. I'd love to get a couple of MP10's and at the moment, that's what I'm planning.

I am currently piecing together things for my first reef tank using this same 40b

I will be following your build and using yours as a sort of template for lighting and other equipment

Thank you

jason

Thanks for watching, Jason! I'm piecing things together and collecting additional information as well as all of my equipment. My wife and I will be moving in March so I know the tank won't be up 'n running 'til at least that point in time and we get into our new place.

CBernhardt23
Here's what's on deck...

OVERFLOW: Glass-Holes 700 GPH Kit = DELIVERING TOMORROW!

PROTEIN SKIMMER: Reef Octopus SRO2000INT = ORDERED!

SUMP/REFUGIUM LIGHT: Innovative Marine Skyye LED / 6500K lamp = ORDERED!

Next up is the actual sump/refugium + return pump + lighting!

She's comin' together! wootwoot.gif

sro 2000? that might be too big lol

sro 2000? that might be too big lol

Too big? ...nah. You can never go too big.

The main display is 40 gallons.

My sump is going to be 38 gallons.

And I got the SRO2000INT for the one day once again I upgrade to a larger tank.

I'm gonna be makin' bubbles, bubbles, bubbles!

This thing up and running yet? I love when petco has the dollar per gallon sales, I'm going to be getting 2 40's but they arent going to be displays, I have other plans for them!!!!! get this thing up already!

This thing up and running yet? I love when petco has the dollar per gallon sales, I'm going to be getting 2 40's but they arent going to be displays, I have other plans for them!!!!! get this thing up already!

Dammit.... kwit'cher pushin'! I'm going as fast as I can.... sheeesh! some people! :P

In other news... look what the mailman brought me today:

ecf1694c.jpg

Ordered my sump/refugium yesterday. It's going to be acrylic with dimensions of 36" x 15" x 15". The first chamber where my Reef Octopus SRO2000INT will sit will be approx. 13 x 15, the second chamber for my dedicated refugium will be approx. 15 x 15, and the third chamber where my Water Blaster 3000 submersible return pump will sit will be approx. 8 x 15.

My skimmer should be in sometime this coming week... *yay!*

devilsadvocate
Dammit.... kwit'cher pushin'! I'm going as fast as I can.... sheeesh! some people! :P

In other news... look what the mailman brought me today:

ecf1694c.jpg

all i got was fun dip :angry:

QUESTION: Do I really need to drill the back of the tank for the returns?

Two more holes in the back of the tank means two more possibilities of it leaking. What's wrong with just taking a simple piece of flex tubing right from my submersible return pump up to the top of my tank with a standard return tube....? Am I really losing THAT much power at the head of the return pump due to this?

I'd rather just keep things simple.

Thoughts...????

the tank would look better if it was drilled. did you order the return kit?

No, I did not. But the gentleman in my local reef club asked me the same question... it did not even dawn on me as I really had no plans on drilling the return. I simply ordered the overflow hit from Glass-Holes.com and now I'm debating about ordering the return.

So far, I've got (3) different individuals including yourself all telling me to drill the returns. ugh.

devilsadvocate

i just got my order in from them like you, for my 40B

drilling it was easy, so i dont see the problem with one more hole.

in the end its all up to you.

1.) IMO drill the return, the return hose sitting over the tank looks tacky and a nice well though out plumbing setup looks much cleaner and attention to details. I myself did a single return (from gl#######s) on my 40b (3/4) and im very happy with how the plumbing looks.

2.)I run a mp10, it can make noise at time, thats just because my sump is quiet, it it a problem to me, not at all.

devilsadvocate

i cant anwser your first question.

but i only bought one return kit, but im only using the 300 gph overflow. yours is the 750 right?

Thanks for resurrecting my thread! :)

Well, I settled on just buying one 3/4" return kit that I ordered last night. I really didn't want to put anymore holes into the back of the tank than need be. My thought process being that I will put the overflow in one corner of the tank and the return in the other. I think this will look good... and yes, to answer your question - my overflow is the 700 GPH kit.

I went to Target today and picked up really sturdy Rubbermaid storage container. The heavy-duty kind. I'm thinking I'm going to use this as my ATO reservoir. The guy from my local reef club who is helping me build the stand said that he could build a custom "box" to put the Rubbermaid container in right next to my tank. This way, it would look like an additional piece of furniture.

It's a 24-gal. Rubbermaid container but it has a pretty small footprint. It's 24" x 18.5" x 20".

In other news, I think I want an Apex Lite for my tank. :ninja:

All of a sudden my super simple 40B isn't turning out to be simple at all. I keep adding more and more ideas. bleh.

Archived