Pod Your Reef

Archipelago Contest tank

miniwhinny

miniwhinny

I'm so excited that I've taken the "plunge" that I'm starting my thread with nothing to show lol (sorry picture freaks - they'll come lol)

I was starting to think I was collecting tanks...I have a 5, 10, 20H, 20L and a 29 but the whole time I've yearned and drooled over the threads of those with 40B's.

Well yesterday I took the plunge at the Petco $1 a gallon sale. I think they're intimidated me because I have to build a stand and ...well to put it simply...I'm going to need instructions to tell me which end of the power screwdriver is the working end lol (and hubby isn't much better lol)

So today my thread begins :D Mini has gone Maxi - and there is a little pun intended in that because my latest crazy and first inhabitant in this thing (when it's up and running) will be my maxi nem

Got a few other things to do before I can "play" today but - today is going to be FUN :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FTS's.

July 2010

July2010.jpg

August 2010

August2010FTS06-1.jpg

October 2010

tank25.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats!

Jealous of you guys that are getting these $1/gal deals. I don't have a petco near me :(

miniwhinny
Congradulations Mini :)

Right now I am having fun plannng my new tank, I love the honeymoon period.

Isn't the planning half the fun :D I spent ages last night laying out my rockwork in my mind. I'm going to tear down all of my other tanks any just have this one. That way I can make it just what I want :D

Congrats!

Jealous of you guys that are getting these $1/gal deals. I don't have a petco near me :(

I have to say it was the $40 price that pushed me over the edge...that difference will cover most of the supplies that I'm going to need to make a stand.

cheryl jordan

OMG so did I min,i 4 hours sleep, my reef buddies think I am crazy, but hey I am into it. It will be fun weather it turns out to look like I picture it or not.

:)

This sounds exciting!

Do you still have some funky Mushrooms (St. Thomas, etc) from that one tank to move into here?

miniwhinny
OMG so did I min,i 4 hours sleep, my reef buddies think I am crazy, but hey I am into it. It will be fun weather it turns out to look like I picture it or not.

:)

HAHAHA we're a sick bunch hahahaha...Only another reefer would understand us lol

This sounds exciting!

Do you still have some funky Mushrooms (St. Thomas, etc) from that one tank to move into here?

I do but I'm not sure if I want them in there. I like them but anyone who has them knows that unless you view them from above they can look really drab...kind of like how clams are - you have to have that perfect angle to view to see their colors. I have a son at college who keeps thinking he'll start a tank so I may start him off with some "left overs".

miniwhinny

I'm thinking that this is going to be a slow project with it being summer and so many other things going on. Made some progress today...got the spray painting done ";-)

4001a.jpg

I also decided how I want to 'scape. I've tried the wall-o-rocks and the two island look (and love both) but I thought I'd go a little differently on this one. I made a sketch of what I'm thinking about. I'm calling it "archipelago" the dictionary defines an archipelago as "a chain or cluster of islands". Picture a map of Hawaii or Indonesia :D I think it may look quite nice :) The final arrangement will depend on how each rock looks but I think I want either a semi-circle or an "s" shape (leaning more to the "S" arrangement. I think my tank will become peninsular style because the place I want it will look better with it done that way.

4001b.jpg

Started our stand yesterday. It was the thought of building this thing that's stopped me from getting a breeder for years.

Supplies...

6 10x2x4's

1 box of 21/2 inch wood screws.

Tools

Power screwdriver

Circular saw

So far.....

stand01.jpg

stand02.jpg

Check back I'll be adding pics as the day progresses ';-)

Thanks Shiver..everything is so square and level that NASA would be proud of us lol

Made two frames for the top and bottom.

36" legs because I don't want to have to squat down to look at my tank like I did with my store bought 29g aqueon stand.

stand03.jpg

Extra braces in the corners (not finished - had to take a break to recharge the cordless saw lol.

stand04.jpg

Thanks everyone. I do have to give credit to my hubby. He's given up two days to help me (okay - I helped him lol) I couldn't have done this without him.

Stand is done :D Stopping for munch and then its off to Lowes to check out what we can get as a skin.

stand05.jpg

This thing is rock solid. It ain't going nowhere :):o

This thing is rock solid. It ain't going nowhere :):o

No poop, really? That could hold up the '34 Ford Roadster project in my garage. Way overkill for a 40 Breeder but I <3 it.

That's fuggin' HAWT...

you wouldnt happen to live in CA, would you?

Whoa...thank you :):D

Sorry not California - Central Oregon :mellow:

Way overkill for a 40 Breeder but I <3 it.

Added the skin, cut out a door and started to add trim. I was going to put a 20L in as a sump/fuge but decided my 20H would be a much better fit so we made the shelf for that too :D

stand07.jpg

Well it's just about finished :D We stained it this week and just attached the door to the sump/fuge area below. I'm really please with how this worked out. We put the tank on it just to test and it's impossible to get it any more level than it is....yahooooooo

stand08.jpg

My 40 breeder dream is becoming a reality :happydance: :happydance: :D

Archived