Top Shelf Aquatics

Cali's 75g lagoon...

Cali-girl

Hey everyone!

I'm starting a bigger tank! figured I'd take advantage of having more room in the house to start up the 75g as a reef :D Here's the plan as of ...well... today... it might change haha

I have an undrilled 75g glass tank that's currently housing some small baby koi for the winter, they'll move out to the pond as soon as the temps get up.

I'm planning on this for the equipment

- 75g tank

- 20gL sump/refugium

- Eshopps Overflow box -800 (max flow rate 800gph)

- Return pump: I don't know... I'm not sure on how many gph i need to not gush through the refugium, but still get it back up to the tank, have enough for a strong flow all while keeping up with the overflow...

- 2 MaxiJet 1200s

- Base rock from Reefcleaners

- cheap playsand seeded with 25lbs or so from my current tank

lighting

- I already have a 150W sunpod, so I was thinking of just getting a 2nd unit and hanging both in the hood.

- maybe some T5 supplemental actinics down the line

as far as livestock, all I have right now to be switched over is 2 firefish and a 6 line with the various crabs, starfish, and coral.

I plan on mostly doing softies, LPS, and a few SPS. I'd also like to keep a smaller bioload (we'll see how that works out ) and rely a lot on the biological filtration.

I'd love any suggestions on what i'm planning. My mind is bouncing all over the place the more I read up on equipment and livestock.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My plan for my 75g was a cheap Fishneedit T5 light, a couple of AC110s for surface aggitation and holding chaeto/chemical filtration and tons of LR and powerheads. Pretty simple but as always I ended up with something totally different.

You plan on running a skimmer at all? Sounds like a sick build so far though.

not at first. I want to try to do as natural as possible, but i'm leaving room in the sump for a skimmer in case i need one.

My plan for my 75g was a cheap Fishneedit T5 light, a couple of AC110s for surface aggitation and holding chaeto/chemical filtration and tons of LR and powerheads. Pretty simple but as always I ended up with something totally different.

I was asking Lani about the AC110s but I figured by the time I bought the 2 AC's i could have bought the Eschopps overflow... I already have the 20L to make a sump, so I thought i might as well... PVC isn't that much

How did you end up with something different?

Found my full blown 90g for less than it would have cost to build the 75g.

ooohhh ya! ok now I remember reading that in your thread. Your tank turned out pretty sweet tho ;)

ooohhh ya! ok now I remember reading that in your thread. Your tank turned out pretty sweet tho ;)

Indeed but I will always wonder how the 75g would have went lol.

Indeed but I will always wonder how the 75g would have went lol.

probably just like your 90, but..... smaller? hahaha

Does anyone have any suggestions on the flow rate through the sump? Should I try to go higher than the 800 on the overflow?

I also need help with the return pump...

Build sounds great... what stand do you plan on using? Is it the traditional black 2 door with center support bracket? If so, you will not be able to get the 20L or 20R in the stand without doing some modifications to the stand. If your 75g is empty, you may be able to drop the 20L through the top of the stand as opposed to going through doors.I ran into this problem after installing the baffles. I used 2 cheap 10g tanks from Walmart connected with a u-tube. It's not ideal, however it works fine. No problems as of yet. I've had it set up for about 6 mos.

Build sounds great... what stand do you plan on using? Is it the traditional black 2 door with center support bracket? If so, you will not be able to get the 20L or 20R in the stand without doing some modifications to the stand. If your 75g is empty, you may be able to drop the 20L through the top of the stand as opposed to going through doors.I ran into this problem after installing the baffles. I used 2 cheap 10g tanks from Walmart connected with a u-tube. It's not ideal, however it works fine. No problems as of yet. I've had it set up for about 6 mos.

The stand is an old wooden stand. It's built like a rock! I plan on putting the sump together and then getting it situated in the stand before the tank goes on. It's got an open back as well as open top. Thanks for the advice tho! I'm also going to sand it down, do a primer and then just paint it completely black - right now it's a dark wood but it's so old it looks worn down.

In other news, I think I've decided to go T5s insteat of the MHs. I was thinking about how hot it gets for most of the summer up here and I'm worried about controlling the heat. Im gonna play it safe and go with a 4-6 bulb combo (thinkin Hellolights retro kits)

The stand is an old wooden stand. It's built like a rock! I plan on putting the sump together and then getting it situated in the stand before the tank goes on. It's got an open back as well as open top. Thanks for the advice tho! I'm also going to sand it down, do a primer and then just paint it completely black - right now it's a dark wood but it's so old it looks worn down.

In other news, I think I've decided to go T5s insteat of the MHs. I was thinking about how hot it gets for most of the summer up here and I'm worried about controlling the heat. Im gonna play it safe and go with a 4-6 bulb combo (thinkin Hellolights retro kits)

i had my 75 with like 14 fish feeding a cube of mysistwice a day with no skimmer and my nitrates where 25

i only started skimming cus i increased my bioload to like 10 big fish and 8 smaller ones, and fed more, and started keeping sps XD

its possible to go skimmerless easily. i forgot id change like 5 gallons every month :P

My 2 cents would be to dump the Maxijets for flow and exchange in a pair of Korrallia's. More flow, a little less heat, and better on your electric bill

imcosmokramer

if you set up your sump with a fuge on one side, skimmer chamber on the other and return in the middle, you can have different flow rates through your sump and fuge (assuming you tee off the return).

Would be sweet with a nice herd of seahorses...just sayin' :)

hahaha i've thought about that! Seriously!

if you set up your sump with a fuge on one side, skimmer chamber on the other and return in the middle, you can have different flow rates through your sump and fuge (assuming you tee off the return).

Tee off the return? would it tee off after the return pump and go back into the refugium?

My 2 cents would be to dump the Maxijets for flow and exchange in a pair of Korrallia's. More flow, a little less heat, and better on your electric bill

hmmm... that might be a good idea, but i liked that the maxi-jets are so reliable for on/off settings. My koralia nano's decide randomly if they want to turn back on or not

Always loved your BC 14 and then your BC29 so I'll be following this one for sure.

I've yet to have a tank with a sump so I can't really comment on anything other than the "in tank" equipment, which looks like a rock solid list.

Looking forward to see this come along for you.

-Adam

I went with an Eheim 1260 on my recent 70g build. I've never been happier. Damn near silent, and it's the flow rate I was looking for out of the sump (400 gph).

Operation: 75reeftank has official begun! B)

This evening I went out and got the remaining 40lbs or so of rock needed for the tank, and I'll be picking up some sand hopefully this week as well. Oh and did I mention it was FREE? SCORE! i traded some frags and a koralia nano and in return got all the rock AND 4 sweet fish for the new tank.

Because of the fish development, the Biocube has become a sort of holding tank until the 75 comes up. It puts a fire under my butt to get those guys in their new home ASAP.

I'm waiting till my next paycheck to order a kit from glass-holes.com so that i can get the tank drilled (yes, i've decided to drill :scarry: ) and get the sump put together.

It's comin along!

Does anyone have any suggestions on the flow rate through the sump? Should I try to go higher than the 800 on the overflow?

I also need help with the return pump...

if you still haven't decided on a return pump, i absolutely love love my Tunze Silence 1073.020 return pump. it's adjustable between 20-634gph. if you wanted more flow than that, they also make a 1073.040, which is also adjustable up to 792gph. this is assuming you want to get your in-tank flow from powerheads instead of a return pump (my preference, but I guess not everybody's).

1) it's silent (mine is so quiet i can't tell the difference between when it's off and on, even sitting right in front of it).

2) it draws very little power (the .020 only uses 30 watts, the .040 uses 40 -- and they use less wattage as you adjust the flow down).

3) it has a very small footprint (my .020 is half the size of the eheim 1262 - not apples to apples, flow-wise, but it makes a difference).

edit: you also asked about flow rate -- if you have supplemental in-tank flow (which it looks like you will), i think 8x is a good starting point number, but i also think it's personal preference. the great thing about the adjustable pumps, though, is that they will allow you to tune to what feels right to you without worrying about a valve creating too much back-pressure (etc.).

Congrats on starting the tank. Don't sweat drilling it you'll be fine. I've drilled a 40 breeder, 15L and a regular 10g that everyone said would break. If I can do it without ####ing it up anyone can.

if you still haven't decided on a return pump, i absolutely love love my Tunze Silence 1073.020 return pump. it's adjustable between 20-634gph. if you wanted more flow than that, they also make a 1073.040, which is also adjustable up to 792gph. this is assuming you want to get your in-tank flow from powerheads instead of a return pump (my preference, but I guess not everybody's).

1) it's silent (mine is so quiet i can't tell the difference between when it's off and on, even sitting right in front of it).

2) it draws very little power (the .020 only uses 30 watts, the .040 uses 40 -- and they use less wattage as you adjust the flow down).

3) it has a very small footprint (my .020 is half the size of the eheim 1262 - not apples to apples, flow-wise, but it makes a difference).

edit: you also asked about flow rate -- if you have supplemental in-tank flow (which it looks like you will), i think 8x is a good starting point number, but i also think it's personal preference. the great thing about the adjustable pumps, though, is that they will allow you to tune to what feels right to you without worrying about a valve creating too much back-pressure (etc.).

ok thanks! I'll definitely look into those. Adjustable flow rate would be awesome!

Congrats on starting the tank. Don't sweat drilling it you'll be fine. I've drilled a 40 breeder, 15L and a regular 10g that everyone said would break. If I can do it without ####ing it up anyone can.

I'm making my dad do it.. hahaha i think it will be ok tho. He's looking into buying a drill press(?) I think that's what its called. He's a little excited about having an excuse to buy another tool :D

Very excite!! Is the rock sitting in a bath tub somewhere?

It's actually in a big rubbermaid next to the tank with a heater and some bubblers to keep the water moving. It should be good to go when the tank gets ready to go ;)

I'm making my dad do it.. hahaha i think it will be ok tho. He's looking into buying a drill press(?) I think that's what its called. He's a little excited about having an excuse to buy another tool :D

Don't need a drill press, in fact I dont know how or if you could even use one. Just a good battery operated hand drill. Of course you could tell him that after he buys the press. You wouldn't be able to manage the pressure well enough with a press I'm afraid.

It's actually in a big rubbermaid next to the tank with a heater and some bubblers to keep the water moving. It should be good to go when the tank gets ready to go ;)

Mine was like that for my 40 breeder for months and months.

Archived