inTank Media Baskets

n0rk's buzzword bonanza

n0rk

I couldn't do what I wanted, so now I'm gonna inject my hard-earned into a buzzword bonanza instead. What do I mean when I say "buzzword bonanza"? Essentially... I mean a tank that has all the bells and whistles and gizmos that seem to be on the cutting edge of reefing. In other words, for the first time in my life I'm setting up a tank that is more high-tech than waterchanges and light skimming. I've been told that it's all just trends, but eh, I don't care. I never was one for being trendy.

Going in my bedroom, and I've been pondering over this system for a looooooooong time. It's had numerous previous iterations, the majority of them ill-fated (because of my own utter stupidity mostly), and it's had many different plans. But, there's a few sticking points that've remained through all concepts, and those are reef-crest inspired, strictly SPS, high flowing, ZEOvit, minimal scape, so on, so on. What I've decided on so far:

• Tank:: 3'x2'x13" bevelled, trimless and rimless.
  • Sump: 1100x480x350mm custom 3-section.
  • Light: ATI Powermodule, 10x39W (5x BluePlus, 3x Aquablue Special, 1x ProColor, 1x PurplePlus).
  • Skimmer: Royal-Exclusiv Bubble King Supermarin 200.
  • Circulation: 1x Vortech MP40W, 1x flowmodded Tunze 6025.
  • Dosing Pumps: Bubble-Magus BM-T01 3-channel dosing master unit.
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator.

STOCK

• 1x Dwarf Angelfish hybrid (Centropyge TBD x Centropyge TBD)

I'll work out more details later. For now, it's time to get more wine into me to celebrate! :naughtydance:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got one of the Vortechs and a couple of frags the night before last. Just running them in the system now while I get the stuff for the new tank coming. I'm aiming for a strike-up sometime around mid-January, depending on how many other projects the tank builder has between now and then. From there I'll let it cycle and mature for ~3 months, then slowly move the stock from this current system into it.

IMG_6998.jpg

That's what the current one looks like. You'd not be mistaken for thinking it's a 2'x1.5'x1.5' with no skimmer and no sump to speak of, and a pretty ####ty T5 fixture. Upgrading it to a 250W MH unit with Lumenbright reflector and probably an XM bulb next week, and hopefully going to grab the Profilux x4 controlled dosing unit depending how solvent I am at the time. Might throw some more frags in as well once I set the MH up.

I guess time will tell what happens.

Well, I guess I could... but the sharks that live between me and it are mildly concerning. :huh:

IMO... Man up bro!!! Serious... Look at that damn haircut!!!

;)

Looks sweet so far bro. I look forward to seeing what you do with this!

B)

IMO... Man up bro!!! Serious... Look at that damn haircut!!!

;)

Looks sweet so far bro. I look forward to seeing what you do with this!

B)

I'm a computer programmer! I'm not allowed to be manly! But nah, the local reefs are destroyed thanks to a ######## in an oil tanker that didn't realise he was leaking crude all through our waterway! HOORAY!! omgomgomg

I'm looking forward to seeing what it does with itself! Thanks!

Lots of pics when you can.

Oh, there'll be pics. I'm not one for spending that kinda coin on something not to show it off ;)

Woke up this morning to a bunch of bleached frags and my inverts all melted. Fish is a bit sick. Gah. Everything is going into meltdown. Seems the temperature probe for my heater popped out of its holder and the heater got stuck on - normal tank reading is 26.1C at this time of day, today it's 33.1C and my pH is having a bit of a crash. I hate hump day so much. :angry:

Still gonna get the 250w and gonna try again, up until this dumb problem the frags were doing well enough. Considering using a single 250 over the new system in a Lumen Bright III, the spread should be enough and cost over a grand less than Sunpowers. Also gonna get an RO/DI from PSI to get my TDS on the water down a bit while I still use ASW. Hopefully it makes some difference.

Fun mornings.

Eh, I'm just glad they were cheap frags and my tank had naff all livestock. Had this happened to the new one I'd be a little broken.

We can be thankful for small mercies I guess.

:(

Sounds like the new tank will rock.

Sucks to hear about your tank crash though. I'm always worried about a piece of critical equipment failing sometime. When I set up my new tank, I'm going to get a little better redundancy going.

I'm really hoping it'll pan out like I'm envisaging it - I've wanted a good tank for so long and now can finally afford it. I've got big plans for this system and can see me keeping it for quite a few years. Really, as a "large" system it's the perfect trade-off for me - power it on a single fixture, get great flow due to the dimensions being symmetrical, have plenty of room for a nice aquascape.. all thongs I value a lot in a reef. We'll see how it goes.

To be honest, the current tank couldn't be any lower tech than it is (literally). I've got lights, a heater, and a wavemaker - that's it. Really, I don't need anything else for this particular one due to the objectives of it and miniscule bioload. New tank will be majorly redundant though, and as low tech as viable. As I see it, technology is just another entry for weakness.

• 1 month later...

Alright, changes abound. I'm tired as a whore from working a billion hours a day, so I'll summarise.

• Got a chiller off of a mate to hook up, and some pumps off of the interwebs to run it.

• Got a frag of the locally-famous "Dallas Acro" (named after the original propagator of it, Dallas Warren - also known as the guy who runs ozreef) off of the same mate to throw into my system to grow out to go into the new one.

• Rigged up a dodgy sort of 'fuge I'm gonna run a SSB and some Caulerpa in out of a $2 tub from a cheap store and some PVC fittings I got. Gonna hook it up tomorrow, and run a fair whack of Purigen in the return baffle (the 'fuge will be above the display and return via gravity feed), hopefully improve the clarity of the water a bit. Having no skimmer and no carbon has made it a little turbid at the best of times. Also got some Hagen carbon to run alongside it eventually, just gonna let the system balance out for now so I don't shock the coral.

• Bought a Octopus BH-100 skimmer off of Guppy's. Because I'm a retard and have never used a skimmer I can't really get it to give a good head (well, any head at all to give me any skimmate) so it's collecting for about 5 minutes then stopping. I've surely set it up wrong (though I fail to see how...) and it's frustrating the hell out of me. Anybody know just how to set these things up? Right now it's just getting half way up the collector's neck then bubbling down, then shooting the tank full of microbubbles. Typical RO giving no set up instructions to run the bloody products...

• Got a frag pack off of Ausfrags. Lovely looking things. Three Acros and some kind of plating coral (Ruffle I think it is?). Still browned out for now, but one of them is starting to show a nice ice blue/purple to the tips with dark blue polyps and another is starting to get some beautiful pink/purple with purple polyps.

• Got a bunch of frag plugs from Ausfrags too, so now everything is finally plugged up. That's helped a little with trying to position things.

• Got a bunch of janitor hermits and a snail, they're helping a bit to tidy up. It's needed it the last few days.

• Started feeding New Life Spectrum again. The Eibli (the only resident aside from CUC) seems to be loving it, to the point of launching from the surface to grab them from my hand. I guess I can't complain about that. Also, starting to colour up nicely.

• Been trying out more modes on the VorTech to find what I like. As much as everyone seems to prop Reef Crest, I'll be honest and say in my system it seems to be the gentlest of the modes. I can't quite explain it. It's not giving a nice surge like it does in every other tank I've seen run it, so right now I'm swapping between Long Pulse and Lagoon. Seems to do the trick.

• Gonna get a Tunze Osmolator and maybe a GHL dosing unit next pay. Depends if I find out when/if I can get Profilux III ones over here or not.

• Gonna order an ATB Small Dual skimmer custom built sometime in the next little while. All white. I saw a mate's ATB skimmer the same size in person and it looks bloody nice.

• Ordered my sump. 2.5'x2'x1.5' semi-racetrack with a platform specifically for the skimmer. Also, dual intake filter sock channels. Should be ready within the month (I'm in no rush).

• Decided against Starphire for this particular tank, not the smallest reason of which was the absolute insanity of the cost of it. To get the tank size I wanted the thinnest glass the maker can get over here is 15mm which is around 6.5x the price of doing it in 12.5mm float. No dice. 3'x3'x1'8" rimless with a bayfront center-back wall weir. Custom acrylic weir guard and back wall. Hooray!

• Got the 250W over the tank. The colours have changed remarkably for being without actinic, especially in the Monti. Instead of being brick red, it's now toxic green. The Stylo coloured back up and is now a lovely fuchsia/"##### pink". Just waiting for the new frags to colour up some.

• Deciding whether to go all out with the main system when I do set it up as I'm planning on moving abroad for around 2 years in October next year. I really don't see it as being the best possible idea at this point, though I will be setting it up as soon as I'm back. Time will tell on this one as I'll be gone for a minimum of 4 months. Ergh.

• Need more frags. Must have more frags. Fraaaaaaaaaaaaaagggssss...

Well, that's about it. I'll leave you with this, a dodgy, uncleaned and generally not as nice as it could look FTS I got yesterday when trying to diagnose the skimmer troubles;

IMG_7145.jpg

Until next time...

New pieces to keep my addiction fed...

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7166.jpg

Showing signs of good growth on the frags I've had in there, so far I'd call this experiment into SPS a resounding success all things considered.

• 2 weeks later...

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changeeeessss, turn and face the strain... *sings* then again, I guess, when ISN'T there changes in my tank? These ones are more noticeable than normal though.

• Added a frag rack. Or to give it its proper name, "that bloody piece of s%*& that used all my zipties and then CUT MY FOOT". Or to put it yet another way, a dodgy frame to hold my frags closer to the light to grow them out some. I wasn't happy with the amount of light I was getting at the sand bed, the ones down low were exhibiting minimal growth while the ones higher up have exploded in the last 3 weeks. So... they're all about 2" from the surface at their current highest tips. They're not the happiest as yet because I suspect they're still acclimating to the change, and I need to reposition the VorTech to give them some flow.

IMG_7236.jpg

(Because everyone does it... ;))

IMG_7248.jpg

• Also added a black background. I was sick of looking through the tank and having it look pretty terrible to be honest, I think the addition of the black has made it look fairly smart given the current state of affairs. Also added in some fresh, heavier gauge sand in the front left where the VorTech was having fun burrowing. Seems to stay put much better than it did, so I can't complain.

IMG_7246.jpg

• Some new residents... couldn't get Seba's or Saddleback Anemonefish, so I settled for a pair of Pink Skunks. The price was right, they're a true mated pair, healthy, and I got sick of a tank with no movement. Also, prices for Decorated Firefish have absolutely exploded lately - to the point you're looking at $110 for a healthy one at most stores when it was lucky being $45 3 months ago. I couldn't justify spending 3x the price of this little fella. For a Helfrichi perhaps, but not a Decora...

DSCN0029.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

• Added a set of dodgy "barn doors" to my light to get the absolute most out of it I could. Having such a narrow tank (when you're using a reasonably large metal halide reflector, 1.5' is narrow as hell) I got sick of light spill. So I used an old carton of Grolsch, some alfoil, and my handy-dandy "duck-tape" I got in the US (which is actually white Gaffa tape...?). Seems to have made a bit of a difference.

IMG_7244.jpg

• And now, the biggest surprise since I've had the coral... this little bubby frag is GROWING! It may not seem like such a huge thing but I expected it to die almost immediately. But nope, in the last week it's been in the tank it's already grown nearly an extra 2/3 of its size width-wise and ever so slightly vertically. Even when it's been at the bottom of the tank (on the glass) shaded a bit, I'm kind of excited.

IMG_7251.jpg

More to come.

:P it actually is for what I paid. I just didn't see the point in having all my light spill over and, let's face it, blind me when I could be putting it to better use!

Some eye candy...

img7463l.jpg

img7461.jpg

img7449j.jpg

Talked to Anthony Calfo for about half an hour yesterday... the guy is amazing. Genuinely one of the nicest and most logically and sensibly intelligent people in the hobby. He's got some great ideas, I'm going to try to compile a list sometime soon when I get a chance.

Wooo.

Aye, it's a gorgeous colony. I'm curious to see how it'll colour up over the next little while and then once it's under actinics as well. Right now I've just got the 15000K halide with no supplements. I'm hoping it'll be one of the centrepieces of the new system ;)

Archived