Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JoeD's Technicolor Dream Cube

JoeD

Looks like tanks are starting to ship soon, so I guess a tank thread is in order.

Plans thus far....

Tank:

K2 Viper 70w HQI

Vortech MP10

JBJ ATO

Blue LED of some sort.

Fan setup TBD

MJ 1200

inTank fuge light

Sand and rock ready to go.

Livestock:

Various recently acquired softies, and maybe LPS

blue skirt army paly's

yumas

GSP

Update: 9/06/09:

Torch and Duncan probably (Mr Coral)

Aussie Paly's (Mr Coral)

yumas and rics

Zoos

'shrooms

blue skirts

brown palys

GSP

CUC order with reefcleaners.org will post what I end up using.

A small tang and 2 flame angels :)..... no clue really at this point, probably invert only. Maybe a Court

Jester.

Upate: angels are in QT in a 250ml beaker with a majano anemone that I caught last night. :P

Looks to be fun..

FTS 03-15-10

25sv66t.jpg

Judging photos

25sv66t.jpg

wck7pg.jpg

v48d3q.jpg

FTS 03-08-10

Not a great pic, a few odds and ends are temporarily residing in the tank... frag tank is acting up. :), :( that my pico is more stable!!!

200cx15.jpg

FTS 02-22-10

lights out pic.... better later maybe..

34oesko.jpg

FTS 02-07-10

Super Bowl/ Snowmageddon

Tanks on a generator a good portion of the day... Pico's don't hold heat well :(

2r5f9xk.jpg

FTS 01-25-10

2qn1iir.jpg

Lights just out

FTS 01-10-10

2iatvte.jpg

hermit did some rearranging not sure that I'm happy with it..

FTS 12-27-09 day early I hope..xmas not kind to the tank

2wbykh4.jpg

FTS 12-13-09 insurance policy hope for better pic tomorrow

4qr8zl.jpg

FTS 11-30-09

10ih2k3.jpg

Updated pic...

2qmqa7k.jpg

hopefully will get the base finished... maybe sand and water late tonight...

Tank's wet.... Excuse the poor photo.

10-5-09

27zheac.jpg

The crab is in exile.... it will be going to a LFS soon.... Big PITA in my other tank

10-19-09

30w6ro5.jpg

11-2-09

1679g84.jpg

FTS 11-16-09

To many irons in the fire.... embarrassed... nasty byropsis outbreak... will post cleaned up shot later.

2hnnqyb.jpg

OK, so I'm not one to erase or scratch through things as plans change (nice to see a record as the project evolves), so here is the hardware and livestock list that is being used in the tank...

Tank (thanks Erick)

Vortech MP 10--- still dialing in( it wants to sand-scape for me)

Hydor Pico 800....trying to keep heat down... flow provided by ^

JBJ VIPER 70W HQI

Coralife 3/4w blue LED

InTank Fuge light

JBJ ATO w/ Aqualifter Pump

Coralife cheapie digital thermometer

Pod Farm

2.5g tank

whisper air pump and stone

coralife 18w light

Corals

2 head dendrophyillia $30

2 head duncan $10

1 head frogspawn $5

4 polyps mohawks $20

GSP <1" $5

Blue Cloves <1/2" $5

Green Cap 1/2" $5

Pink ric $10

4 Heads Blasto $40

Green birds nest tyree <1"

Hydronophoria 2"

CUC and things that swim....

10 dwarf ceriths $2.50

5 Nerites $3.75

2 Nassarius $1.50

2 Mangroves $2.00

1 red-tailed

mandarin $20

1 porcelain crab $10...... soon to be hunted down and removed....2 wks, no photo op and he goes

in my 28

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rveq0g.jpg

Pedestal base frame sitting on the formica sheet I'm going to use, 12 x 12 x 5.5

Moving along... going to get the formica on tomorrow. 16 x 16 marble top... black or dark green depending on the remnants a friend has left over. I plan to eventually add a 16 x 16 x ? black formica clad base for it to sit on. ATO tank, etc. will be hidden in there. Not sure that that will happen in the contest time frame... We'll see.. good luck to all. I'm in this for the challenge of keeping a small reef tank. Just how small really dawned on me looking at the base... it's only 3.5" shorter than the tank.

Fun stuff :D

Nice start tagging along. Whats the tank in your avatar?

CAD proto for this build ... I get bored.. I plan to add fittings, pump, maybe sand and rock. Not sure that I'm up to modeling corals and other livestock. The green mug was mentioned by someone in the unofficial thread....

post-45401-1252207968_thumb.jpg

CAD proto for this build ... I get bored.. I plan to add fittings, pump, maybe sand and rock. Not sure that I'm up to modeling corals and other livestock. The green mug was mentioned by someone in the unofficial thread....

Very cool. look real....

Nice rendering, I'm in school for cad and cnc machining and I draw up tank designs when I'm bored.

Mostly I do CAD and CNC wax work for jewelry...

Stuff like this is just fun for practice... thanks for the complement... FWIW Rhino4 with V-ray

What type of marble are you using?

Not sure... it's coming from scrap/leftovers.

Hopefully nice...

I'll post pics when I get it. Back-up plan is to use tile or make a top.....

i mentioned it................. drawing looks great!

Whatchyou know 'bout some Nighthawk 1?

Like the CAD stuff too.

Thanks all.. I'll try to update the drawing once in a while. Not much knowledge as far a the mug goes... it was a gift.

I should hopefully be getting the marble tomorrow... Still not sure of its' color or type. Fingers crossed. $84... hopefully its nice.

Thanks all.. I'll try to update the drawing once in a while. Not much knowledge as far a the mug goes... it was a gift.

I should hopefully be getting the marble tomorrow... Still not sure of its' color or type. Fingers crossed. $84... hopefully its nice.

How thick and hows the edge detailed?

I got quotes from $40 to $150 for a 2cm / 3/4" piece. I paid $60

Marble is ubatuba (sp?) 16"x16"x1"

Nicely finished... Heavy.

A good sized assortment of things arrived today.

More to arrive tomorrow.

Looking good.

I was looking for UbaTuba but we couldn't find any 3/4" quick enough. If I would have know it was going to take another month to start I would have waited for the 3/4" UbaTuba.

OK... so I picked up the tank today... Looks nice. Light and other goods showed up yesterday... Looking into building the base for the pedestal... Might as well do it before the tank is set up...

Maybe pics tomorrow...

Also picked up a red mantis today..... hmmmmm not sure where he's going to reside...

Ready to start, but will probably start late.... Out of town 9/19-9/26... Don't think that a few days will make much difference.

Project has gone from small bedroom tank to hopefully a very nice nano display tank...

x5shdx.jpga1pj81.jpg

Have to finish laminating tomorrow, and get the door hung, and shelf installed. Tank gets wet tomorrow :-)

Anyone have any thoughts about black vs. white substrate? Toying with the idea of using black.....

Personally I wanted to go black, thought w/ some colorful corals & good light on a small tank it would make stuff pop, the black sand my LFS had was wayyyyy to fine though so I nixed the idea.

bluefunelement
Anyone have any thoughts about black vs. white substrate? Toying with the idea of using black.....

White makes the lights reflect more and gives the tank that shine it needs to draw you in - always thought black sand tanks looked like black holes

Archived