Cultivated Reef

My first 10 Gallon Nano

Adrnalnrsh

I just setup my first 10 Gallon Nano last night.

I have crossed over from African Cichlids.

Items I have,

10 Gallon Tank

15 watt 50/50 bulb with stock hood. (this will be replaced)

20 Lbs CaribSea Live Sand/Aragonite

AC 110 (will be used for refuge/chaeto)

AC30 just for now to move water.

Cheap heater

I added my sand to the tank last night and then mix my RO water (purchased RO drinking water from Fry's Food) with Instant Ocean Salt.

FTS with lights after setup before I cleaned the glass.

th_DSCF0079.jpg

This morning after running an AC30, clean glass, light off. I still need a background.

th_DSCF0082.jpg

Today with lights on. Can't really tell, need better lights.

th_DSCF0089.jpg

I plan on getting some live rock from an existing setup somewhere near by (Gilbert AZ)

First question I have is, what should my water parameters looks like in terms of

Phosphate

Calcium

General and Carbonate Hardness

PH

In order to be reef ready to add live rock ????????????????????????????????????

I do know that Ammonia Nitrite Nitrates all need to be ZERO.

Thanks I just picked up 13lbs of Cured Live Rock today from someone local selling $2.50/lb

I assume that the cycle should be very short because of this, correct? I also added some Chaeto to the tank for now until I get my AC110 setup as a fuge.

didnt realize they were links

is that a power head from walmart?

and what type of lighting are you going to upgrade to?

Yeah I think it is, it was the only small power head I had. I have a rio 1100 and 2100 and I haven't attempted to hook up the 1100 yet.

So far movement is fair. The AC 30 moves water pretty good and that power head seems to be working so far. But I plan on getting to Koralia Nano's. Just need to find used somewhere

I have no clue which lighting to go with. I am researching DIY lighting as I plan to upgrade this tank in the future. So I may want to build something bigger to support a larger tank down the road.

But if I decide to buy a retail fixture, any suggestions? I think I want to go with T5 HO, but not sure what Brand and size to go with.

I want be able to grow SPS and Clams so any recommendation on the amount of light I need. Someone at the LFS said I would need 100+ watts on this 10 gallon.

He said I could start with some softies right now. But I want to wait til my lighting is better.

I was thinking of adding a second 15 watt 50/50 bulb/hood just to double the wattage now til I find what I want, but I want to make sure it will help and not be pointless.

IMO 250w MH is overkill! Go with 70w or maybe 150w

I just saw that, 250w would be too hot I imagine.

70w good enough for SPS and Clams? Would there be a better/cheaper solution with T5 HO?

marinebiologist

i think you added that fish too soon but i hope everything does well. :)

try this mh

that will work and it is fairly cheap too.

i think you added that fish too soon but i hope everything does well. :)

try this mh

that will work and it is fairly cheap too.

Why too soon?

Do you think that the tank will cycle? I checked all my water parameters and everything looks good.

The rock came from a well established tank. Gravity/Salinity are correct. No Am, No Nitrite, No Nitrates.

Also I didn't feed him last night after putting him in the tank, but I did feed him today and he ate. Already found his nook under a rock on left of the tank which he crawled out of to eat.

Thanks for the link on that light. I like it and for the price, its perfect. Where the aquarium is sitting it will hang over top just fine.

Well, I couldn't resist and I added a YWG today. We'll see how things go for the next week. I will add pictures soon.

Yea, 2 days after starting a SW tank is too soon to add fish. Your tank WILL cycle, and a cycle generally takes 4-6 weeks. You will not see ammonia/trates/trites after 2 days.

Return the YWG to the LFS until your tank is done cycling.

Hmm, I was under the impression that if I got live rock from another tank (well established) and put it in my tank that has live sand it wouldn't have to cycle. Sort of using an existing filter or media from a tank to seed another filter.

Archived