Pod Your Reef

New deal.....my Elos Mini build

TighTT

Hey all,

I'm new around these parts. I have owned a few fresh-water tanks over the years but this is my first forte into saltwater. I started by reading the forums for a few months to get some insight into the reef world and gain as much knowledge (still not enough) before I dove in. Well...with my friends help (long-time reefer) I purchased and set-up an Elos system mini over the weekend. I opted for the whole kit (complete with E-light) and then added a 100w heater, Vortech MP20 pump, and obviously sand and cured live rock. I'm still waiting for my Digital Aquatics Reef-Keeper Elite and Tunze Osmolator auto top-off unit which should be here shortly. I plan to keep just the sand and live rock for quite some time before adding any livestock. From what I have gathered, time is your best friend in this hobby....and I'm in no rush. Oh..some pics of the current setup:

Before setup:

elos_mini_10-vi.jpg

elos_mini_03-vi.jpg

elos_mini_11-vi.jpg

elos_mini_04-vi.jpg

After setup......

Whole room shot:

P1000097-vi.jpg

Tank:

P1000103-vi.jpg

P1000104-vi.jpg

P1000106-vi.jpg

P1000105-vi.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our blood, sweat and tears paid off TighTT!

Kidding, it was a breeze to set up, with the exception of the stand, which did not come w/ instructions :(

And a few more tank shots. I have a slight micro bubble problem but nothing Im too worried about. I plan to let the tank/skimmer break-in before I try any of the "fixes".

DSC_0188-vi.jpg

DSC_0191-vi.jpg

DSC_0192-vi.jpg

The Vortech MP20 pump....great for the Mini!

DSC_0194-vi.jpg

And no, its not off-center....just looks that way in the pic. =)

DSC_0195-vi.jpg

WOW. What a great way to start the hobby. With a tank like that you should have some great success. The LEDs are really incredible stuff.

From the tri-state, shout out from eastern LI!

PS, weeds is the best show ever produced.

Does anyone know why Elos is so expensive?

other than the led lights which i know are $$$, what else makes them special?

The A+ quality, for price you get a top notch stand, full glass sump, skimmer, pumps, and lots of convenience. The light itself is about $600.

other than the led lights which i know are $$$, what else makes them special?

You would just have to see one in person to get just how well built they are and how good they look. I had never even heard of elos a couple of years ago and then I saw one and just had to buy one. + My elos was cheaper than having a comparable tank custom made.

Christopher Marks

Nice to finally see some photos of a production Elos Mini! It looks like the light has a brushed metal finish and no logo on top, much nicer. How do you feel about the stand's build quality?

Nice to finally see some photos of a production Elos Mini! It looks like the light has a brushed metal finish and no logo on top, much nicer. How do you feel about the stand's build quality?

The E-light comes in silver (standard) as well as black and white (optional for a fee). While the stand is a solid piece, I cant help but see some similarities to Ikea-type furniture (some of the screws/nuts are the same).

Added some freshies to the tank. I acquired a green torch, Pipe Organ coral, a zoa colony, and a Rose bubble tip anemone. Sorry for the Iphone pics...I'll snap some better pics tomorrow. The pics were taken not long after they were acclimated to the water and placed in the tank...so they're not too perky. :)

tank-vi.jpg

tank2-vi.jpg

So......I get home from work this evening to find that my new Rose tip bubble has gone astray from the nice rock I had him sitting on. Instead he made his way up the glass (knocking over the pipe organ) and found a nice cozy spot right on my Vortech!

DSC_0199-vi.jpg

DSC_0196-vi.jpg

DSC_0197-vi.jpg

So I carefully pulled him off the pump/glass and put him on a different rock...hopefully he'll stay put.

Some pics:

DSC_0214-vi.jpg

DSC_0211-vi.jpg

DSC_0206-vi.jpg

DSC_0239-vi.jpg

DSC_0190-vi.jpg

DSC_0220-vi.jpg

two-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg

Yeah more likely than not the Anemone was moving around and was sucked into the vortech. Had to lower my vortech for a week while my Anemone finally anchored itself on the rock.

Nice system by the way. what K rating is that bulb (LED's) and power output?

Archived