ReefCleaners.org

Jenna's 10g w/ built in fuge

Jenna

Ok, I've done it! I've built my 10g with fuge. It has to sit and cure for several days but here are a few photos of the build. After the curing time I'll fill the refugium area to test for leaks then fill the tank, attach the powerhead and check out the flow. This is SO exciting!!!! BTW, I've also started a blog for this tank. The link for which can be found in my signature.

(crosses fingers and hopes the pics work)

P1010280.jpg

P1010284.jpg

P1010282.jpg

P1010310.jpg

P1010311.jpg

P1010315.jpg

P1010316.jpg

P1010312.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good! A easier way to post pics is to just copu and paste the image code from photobucket. that will put the pic right on the page.

Looks good! A easier way to post pics is to just copu and paste the image code from photobucket. that will put the pic right on the page.

Thanks. I fixed it.

When I lived in Daytona Beach there was a LFS there that made these but they made the false wall against the back wall. They worked really well. Looks good and good luck.

Hog

I checked for water leaks yesterday and all was good. I then filled the tank and turned on the powerhead to check the flow rate and quickly found that I didn't have enough slots for proper flow between the main tank and the refugium. To solve this, my husband had the idea of drilling holes under the slots. We put in 2 rows of holes under each slot.and a third row with holes under every other slot. We tested again and found the flow rate to be absolutely perfect! I'm really happy with the tank. Now I have to wait until January to get my light, heater and then I can finish setting it up. (sigh) I'm not very good at this particular part...the waiting. I can wait for the cycle to complete with no problem because I can stare at the rock and whatever hitchhikers come with it. But this waiting to set up is brutal!

P1010326.jpg

P1010325.jpg

Is that acrylic or glass that you used for the false wall?

Was it hard to make?

What light fixture did you decide on?

I used black acrylic I got from estreetplastics.com They shipped super fast! To make I didn't have any difficulty. The straight cuts I did with a scoring knife from Home Depot. My FIL used his bandsaw for the overflow slots and I smoothed them out with a sandstone attachment on the Dremel. The bevel attachment drilled the holes. Did you know Dremel has acrylic cutting blades for just $11? Dremel tools are just incredible for working with acrylic. For the light, I'm going to opt for this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12772 I'll get the 24" fixture. I'm not crazy about the overhang but I really want the T5's and the LEDs.

great build

Ill be following this one

where are you getting your rock from?

Thanks! I haven't decided about my rock yet. I'm partial to Florida live rock and since I already live here I'm hoping to find some good stuff. I've been checking out local shops but haven't found the right stuff yet. Everything looks so bland. But I'm in driving distance of Tampa Bay Saltwater so maybe....

How did you cut the slots for the intake grill?

My father-in-law did it on his bandsaw. But he said it went very easy. I just marked on the protective coating where I wanted it cut and did it for me...leaving the protective coating in place of course. Then I smoothed them out with the Dremel.

YAAAAAY!!! you did it!! Looks great. Can't wait to see it filled up :)

Steve

Me too. Its absolutely brutal to have to wait knowing I'm this close. (sigh)

looks really clean. I like it. Tagging along.

Thanks! You know, working with the sealer was probably the hardest part of all. The best tool for working it is a finger. It went much easier when I figured that out.

Since your obviously crafty, build your own light!

I actually thought about that. I've done it before so I know I could but this time I'm going to wimp out and buy a premade one. LOL

While I wait to order my light I thought I'd start planning exactly what I want in my tank so if you all don't mind I'm going to throw some options out here for a bit of feedback. Today I've been researching fish I'd eventually like to have. I had a look at the list of fish that are suitable for a 10g and have narrowed my choices down to

-Ocellaris Clownfish (False Percula) (single or mated pair)

-Firefish Goby (single or mated pair)

-Yellow Watchman Goby (single or mated pair...jumper)

Now, in a 10g I know I shouldn't go over 2-3 fish. So out of the three types I've chosen, are there any that shouldn't be kept together? Any that would get along great? Any wisdom you all care to share, I'm willing to listen/read.

Beyond this I'm going to have the typical CUC candidates (still studying the various options), softies, LPS and maybe eventually some SPS. I'd also like a few Sexy shrimp.

I think your fish list is good. Any two of the three you have listed would do well together- or perhaps even a pair of clowns if you prefer, plus one of the others. It really depends on your feeding and water change/nutrient export schedule.

Looks good!

I think your fish list is good. Any two of the three you have listed would do well together- or perhaps even a pair of clowns if you prefer, plus one of the others. It really depends on your feeding and water change/nutrient export schedule.

Looks good!

Thanks for the info BK!

I'll do whatever's required of the critters I eventually chose. My cats own me, my planted FW tank owns me, so why not the reef tank too? LOL

Would there be an issue of keeping one of each of these fish...providing I keep up with water changes? (Goes to add a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter to my shopping list for polishing the water during tank maintenance.)

Personally, I think one of each of those would be just fine in a ten. You'll probably find some people that dissent, though. The reason I think they would be fine (providing you keep up w/ maintenance) is that they are all small-territory fish in general, and aren't very similar.

Woohoo!!!!!!!! I just placed the order for the light. We should be up and running soon! This is so exciting! We already have the sand but need to pick up some salt locally. When I find out which day the light is supposed to be delivered, I'm going to start the salt mixing the day before. All I'll have to do is put in the heater and give it a chance to get up to proper temp then we can go pick out rock. A local picture framer is cutting a glass top for it for $3.50. I'll pick that up next week once she reopens her shop. We'll have to pick up some distilled water in the next few days as well.

I chose this T-5 fixture. I wanted the T5s because on the 10g I can keep just about anything with this light. I could have gotten the cheaper one but I like the built in lunar lights of this one. I'll use the bulbs that come with it until I can order in some better ones. The tank will be cycling for a bit anyway so I'll have better bulbs by the time I am ready to buy my first corals.

Rats! I forgot to order the digital timer so I can set my dusk to dawn lighting. Next order then. Along with a refractometer to replace the hydrometer and a H.O.T. Magnum for water polishing during maintenance.

*looks longingly toward the mailbox*

Archived