Outer Orbit Pro 2x250w Phoenix MH 4x39w T5 420nm actinics

Azoo surface fan (2 fan unit)

JBJ ATO

AquaC Remora Pro w/ Mag 3

Vortech MP40w

Pinpoint pH monitor

20L sump/fuge with Chaeto & Halmedia

Fish

Smith's Blenny, Bicolor Blenny, 2 B&W Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's two different types of bulbs. The left one is a Phoenix 14k and the right is a Current 10k. One of them blew so I used the Phoenix I already had.

That explains it. Looks good regardless. Are you going to go with 10k or 14k for the long run?

The 10k till they need to be changed then I'll go with the 14k. The 14 in there now is going to be sold with the Sunpod that came off the 29g.

Picture118.jpg

Another side view with 10k off for the new milli I picked up today.

Picture119.jpg

Pavona decussatus (Cactus)

I picked up a few more things this weekend :happydance:

Aqua Medic SP3000 ATO

Didn't get a picture with it on but I got the replacement 250w XM bulb. Now I still have 2 different bulbs but the XM is closer to Current than the Phoenix was.

Here's the Crocea

Crocea.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture123.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Left side is a XM 10k (not green in person?) and the right is a Current 10k

Picture011-1.jpg

Right side

Picture012.jpg

Just added the ORA Green Birdsnest (middle far right) and the ORA Blue Tort (above clam)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I picked up an Orange Linkia and finally got two Phoenix bulbs so both sides are the same.

I'm still having problems with the ATO though. The hose inside the pump rolled off during the week and stopped working. My mom topped it off Thursday and I had forgotten I started kalkwasser again and it got a half gallon of saturated kalk all at once <_< I'm sure the pH went way up because the Xenia is looking pretty crappy and a few snails died. Everything else seems to be doing alright I guess, just wish I could find a ATO worth a damn.

Of course a picture!

Picture001.jpg

Looking good skydive!

Funny I found your thread today.

I just replaced the 14k currents in my pod with 14k phoenix this afternoon.

The Currents were definitely more yellow looking. To be fair these were over a year old, but they have always looked yellow to my eye.

Gotta love bow fronts B)

Good luck with this one.

:)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Needreefunds. I had been eyeing this tank for nearly a year at the LFS and decided to start saving the money for it and all the upgrades that needed to go with it.

Everything is just now starting to look better after the ATO shot 5g of FW into the tank in just a couple days. I lost quite a few snails and possibly 5 SPS frags, the Pavona and Birdsnest are the only ones showing polyps and the GSP is out completely after closing up for somewhere around a month.

FTS 10-25-08

10-25-08.jpg

• 1 month later...

I managed to have a couple days off work and took the opportunity to place my first online livestock order.

Here's what showed up at my door this morning.

Picture.jpg

Marshall Island Acropora, Yellow Fuzzy

Green Bali Slimer

Hawkin's Blue Echinata

Purple Plasma Coral

Verde Acropora Coral

I'll post more pictures after the lights come back on.

So far I'm pleased with the order and I can't wait to see what they look like in a couple of weeks after they settle in. liveaquaria is where I ordered them from and will probably be ordering from them again when I get the money. I just wish they had a minimum order for free shipping.

The Echinata has a case of RTN :unsure: but all the other new corals seem to be doing okay. Not sure what caused it, shipping stress or shock when I put it in the tank but I acclimated them all the same way. So far 80% of the tissue has fell off and replaced with the white skeleton. I was able to frag a very small piece that it hadn't got to yet so I'm hoping I don't lose the entire frag or worse, it spreads to the other corals :scarry:

Think I should remove it? I don't have a QT to put it in and I'd hate to flush it but if it means saving the rest then I guess I'll have to.

HBE.jpg

This is it in an iodine dip

I sent liveaquaria that picture and explained what was happening to the coral and they immediately refunded the full amount of the coral :D It's still in the tank but the only thing with tissue is the very tips. The others are doing great and I'm mounting them on the rocks Sunday.

Now I need to find another Hawkin's.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more pictures :D

Picture008.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

SPS3.jpg

Not really liking the new rockscape but I might be able to work something in there to fill the gaps and take out the rock on the top left.

Picture002.jpg

Hey Sky. Sorry about the loss..

Question if I may.

It looks like you were running the overflow box / surface skimmer on your Aqua C Remora at one time.

These latest pics seem to show you have switched to the Hagen surface skimmer attached to your AC fuge.

Curious, did you find the overflow box inefficient? Or simply too bulky to deal with during service etc?

I also run the Hagen surface skimmer, but with a power head.

I have just purchased the overflow box for my Remora and had hopes of cleaning up the mass of equipment my tank has become. Ideally wanted to get rid of the power head and SS, but now that the box has arrived I see it is quite a bulky item.

I would appreciate any thoughts. :)

Thanks and keep up the good work.

It was very efficient but yeah just too bulky for me. I have the Mag 3 and didn't realize it was that big and the box sticks out almost 4.5" and casted a big shadow. If it had just the surface skimmer part and not the media chamber I would have kept it.

Have you tried hooking the Aquaclear surface skimmer to the skimmer pump? I never thought of that till now. Below is a picture of what I did to get the pump out as I'm also trying to get as much of the stuff out as possible. I thought you had a sump with an overflow? There's a question in your tank thread about your overflow. Why couldn't you have it running from the sump instead of in the display?

Skimmer.jpg

It was very efficient but yeah just too bulky for me. I have the Mag 3 and didn't realize it was that big and the box sticks out almost 4.5" and casted a big shadow. If it had just the surface skimmer part and not the media chamber I would have kept it.

Have you tried hooking the Aquaclear surface skimmer to the skimmer pump? I never thought of that till now. Below is a picture of what I did to get the pump out as I'm also trying to get as much of the stuff out as possible. I thought you had a sump with an overflow? There's a question in your tank thread about your overflow. Why couldn't you have it running from the sump instead of in the display?

Skimmer.jpg

Huh, never thought of running it off the pump either....nice idea there.

Also did not realize you were running the Mag.....must have been a PITA to deal with for sure.

Yes, I am running a Toms overflow / canister filter that I plumbed a slow flow sump / fuge to.

As I'm sure you know, space is VERY limited in the stand. After the ten gal sump and canister I am maxed out for space otherwise the Remora would be down there.

Also the Toms overflow provides NO surface skimming. They were supposed to come out with a new model and also a possible upgrade kit to help skimming but that never happened as far as I know. I do have some ideas to mod the overflow and may do that still.

Thanks for the thoughts Sky. Much appreciated.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

--Richie

• 2 weeks later...

The old 29g is about to be back in business as a sump/fuge. I finished it last night so I won't have time to leak test it till I get back home Friday, a bit heavy on the silicone so it needs the extra drying time anyways. The equipment for it should be here by then and since there's no way it's going to fit in the stand I'm going through the wall and set it up in the utility room which needs more work to be done there, like move a shelf that's completely filled up with random reefing stuff and building a stand for it.

Any ideas on how to build a stand for it or something that would work as a stand that's already been tested for weight? I'm real nervous about building it so the latter would be a better option for me. The tank is 30"Lx12.5"W Thanks for any suggestions :)

sump.jpg

29g removed 20L pictured

Edit: No leaks and a day off of work!

The starfish was doing very well until a few days ago when I added a sump and wiped out all the corals and the star isn't looking to great now. On the bright side the hermits, snails, clam, and fishes are doing excellent. Don't know what caused it, maybe the plumbing that I didn't rinse, not really sure though. Basically starting over again, and in the midst of the downfall I got some help from some local reefers that are willing to help restock and got me interested in joining the local reef club so some good things came out of it so it's alright.

Archived