ReefCleaners.org

Murdering Purple Lobster !

zippykat

So much for being "reef safe"...I caught my purple lobster red handed this morning attacking my porcelain crab. (had the porcelain crab for about 3 weeks) By the time I got to him he was still alive, but only had one large claw and one leg left. I don't think he will make it. Should I worry about my emerald crab or any other inhabitants? (I got my purple lobster about 2 months ago)

Is this normal purple lobster behavior? Anyone have experiences similar to mine?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So much for being "reef safe"...I caught my purple lobster red handed this morning attacking my porcelain crab. (had the porcelain crab for about 3 weeks) By the time I got to him he was still alive, but only had one large claw and one leg left. I don't think he will make it. Should I worry about my emerald crab or any other inhabitants? (I got my purple lobster about 2 months ago)

Is this normal purple lobster behavior? Anyone have experiences similar to mine?

Yes it is normal for the lobster to do this, and at night he more than likely will go after fish. As for the crab his limbs should grow back on his next molt. Unless you want to lose the crabs and some fish I would bring the lobster back.

I like lobsters but have seen the damage they can do to sleeping fish at night.

Do you dose with iodine? Good iodine levels can speed up the molting process.

Reef safe lobster - I think that means he will not attack/eat/kill your corals. Lobsters eat other lobsters - they eat their own LOL

yea i too wanted to get one of these and then found out that they will eat anything they can get thier claws on, INCLUDING YOU lol so def put your finger by it at night

revaltion131
How do I catch him? He is quick and there are tons of places to hide.

You can make a trap. Take a cup, any regular drinking cup or tupperware-ish container will do, that he fits into and put some food in it, maybe a whole table shrimp if you need to. Tape or tie some string to the glass/container and lay it on its side on the bottom of the tank. Wait for the lobster to get in, then pull the glass/container out using the string.

It's pretty simple, but my description sucks. Hopefully someone can give a bit better explanation.

Well...I have been thinking about it. Instead of spending hours attempting to catch him. I am just going to make sure he is well feed with frozen silverslides and whatnot. Since they eat 'anything'. So, by doing this I will cross my fingers and toes that he will then keep to himself and not pick on my emerald crab, percs, and cleaner wrasse.

The purple lobster has been in my tank since 4/2/08 and this is my first casualty. He has gotten along with everyone until the porcleain crab. If he takes anything else out, he will definitely have to go.

Any other capture suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. the porcelain crab didnt make it, got home today and he was dead...RIP Mr.Teacup :(

johnmaloney

Lobsters and crayfish are mean s.o.b s who told you in the first place that it would be reef safe? That thing would love to kill any fish and any other inhabitants it can get to! Maybe it won't eat coral, but neither do sharks.. not what reef safe means in my book. Another good trap for crabs, should work on lobsters... Get a plastic box (tupperware works if clean and no soap residue), and put food in the middle. Than place a ramp up to the box, (the lid from the tupperware would work). Position the trap near the crab, it can get in, but after it falls in for the food it will have trouble getting out- then cover the trap quickly with the net, and remove all.

Would this trap work?......take a water bottle, cut the top portion off and turn it around...inserting it into the bottom of the bottle. so hopefully the lobster can go in, but not get out???

anyone have experience with this trap?

I ask because having the lobster fall into a container wont work because he flies backwards very quickly and can go up and over things very easily that way.

johnmaloney

maybe..? Always worth a try. What about a a small split knot attached to a stick and and tickle stick? Minature lobster hunt! If not.... maybe you should get a metal skewer and go spearfishing. (stainless steel of course) Might sound mean, but if you are going to get rid of it anyway... Remember to aim behind the lobster as their first move is always backwards.

TRAP DAY 1:

I constructed the trap I meantioned earlier. (made with a water bottle, top cut off and inverted back into the bottom on the bottle) I baited it with a cube of frozen mysis shrimp, which I know my purple lobster eats. He snatches some everytime I feed my sun coral.

Anywho, I set the trap overnight and caught two snails. I think it is only a matter of time. But I am going to drill several small holes in the bottom of the bottle to assist with some slight water movement within the bottle. So hopefully the purple lobster will 'smell' the food more tonite.

Please also note that I fed my lobster the day before I set the trap, so it is possible he just wasn't hungary.

Here's crossing my fingers for tonite! :)

I've used this same trap design to catch pistol and mantis shrimp. It works like a charm. Sometimes it takes a little time, but in the end, I've never had this type of trap fail me. Just be patient and you'll catch the little booger.

Good luck and keep us posted!

TRAP DAY 2:

Baited the trap with a silverslide this time. And I also drilled those holes that I talked about. No luck again...caught one snail.

Tonight I am going to turn my moonlights off, just incase the light going thru the plastic bottle is creating some weird effect that the lobster is afraid of.

Any tips of bait? I think I might try some krill tonight.

TRAP DAY 2:

Baited the trap with a silverslide this time. And I also drilled those holes that I talked about. No luck again...caught one snail.

Tonight I am going to turn my moonlights off, just incase the light going thru the plastic bottle is creating some weird effect that the lobster is afraid of.

Any tips of bait? I think I might try some krill tonight.

I would recommend not drilling the holes in the bottle, that way the lobster can follow the scent from the entrance of the bottle and knows the way in, otherwise it may confuse him. Remember they are near blind and rely on scent mainly.

TRAP DAY 3:

I awoke this morning to find that my purple lobster had molted overnite....thus the reason why he has not attempted my baited trap. I am hoping his new shell has hardened enough for him to wander around tonight.

TRAP DAY 4:

Still no purple lobster....stupid thing. I guess he is still hiding till his shell hardens some more.....I think tonight I will try dual traps....one in each exit from his hiding spot.

TRAP DAY 5:

Still no luck today...I think I am going to wait a few days and try the trap again. He is probably full and doesnt feel like eating...I hope.

TRAP DAY...7 or 8?-

Anywho, I made a new trap. Same thing with the bottle, but I made the opening wider because I thought maybe the lobster isnt going in there because he cant fit. We'll I have to redesign the trap again.....the lobster had gone in it and got out taking the bait with him last night...I caught him red handed...I was not fast enough to get the bottle out before he got out.

first trap: bottle with holes

second trap: bottle with no holes....larger entry way

third trap: bottle with no holes larger entry way....but I am also going to make it longer and taper some going into the bottom portion...so that hopefully he can get in but not out :) wish me luck!

chuckfullservice

Try putting the bottle with a ramp next to it. He probably cant get to it !

Maybe you should bait it with a live crab ! :o Since he seemed to have a taste for your other one.

Or you can try dipping it in garlic , every thing loves garlic! ;)

TRAP DAY 9?:

I have tried another new trap....same thing, just a larger bottle. He got in, took the bait and left. :( But, at least I know he will go in it...now I just have to make it so he cant get out.....I am working on a new trap today...a juice bottle size container. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have the butter on standby!

TRAP DAY 14:

I tried the larger trap last night. (the one made out of the juice container) Well, I have to work on a better trap....He went in to this one and took the silverslide out....and got out the bugger. So, some how I have to make a flap or something on the end of the entryway so that he can get in, but not out. I thought the fall into the larger juice container would be enough to hold him....must be a super swimmer.

Anywho, I am going to design another trap...I'll keep you posted. When I finally create a successful trap I'll take pics of it and post'em.

Any suggestions are still welcome! :)

Archived