inTank Media Baskets

*Electronics cabinet/Photo dump* -muse's- 50g Space Dementia

-muse-

Hello all,

I've been on an off this forum for a few years now under a different name (LVCaniac). In 2015, I neglected my documentation of my build on my CADLights 50 gal Artisan II, so I figured with 2016 I would start anew.

FTS 1.24.2016:

24297307950_1c96a9540e_z.jpg

Equipment:

Tank:

• CADlights 50-gallon Artisan II Cube Aquarium (23.5" x 23.5" x 20") w/ 10mm low iron Ultra Clear glass
  • 36" tall Maple plywood stand
  • 18-gallon sump
  • 500 GPH return pump

Filtration:

• Filter floss
  • Simplicity 120 DC Skimmer
  • BRS GFO & Carbon Reactors
  • 15 lbs live sand
  • 15 lbs live rock

Lighting:

• AquaIllumination Vega Color (White)
  • Custom fixture hanger

Circulation:

• 2 VorTech MP10 circulation pumps

Heating:

• Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w Heater

​ATO:

• Hydor Smart Level Controller
sml_gallery_90269_7_58944.jpgsml_gallery_90269_3_218502.jpg
Here it is when i first set it up and 2 yrs later.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help in getting me to where I currently am with my tank. I appreciate the plethora of information that everyone has already shared and I look forward to learning even more.

-muse-

Gonna try out a new skimmer since CADLights doesnt seem to want to give me a replacement pump for my PLS-100.

This time I am gonna try a Simplicity 120 DC Skimmer

It looks like it has some good potential and I picked it up for $180. I'll keep everyone posted on when it arrives and how it skims once I get it up and running.

10198.jpg

Looks interesting...considering that skimmers take so much tuning it'll be cool if this thing really is simple....and works well.

Looks interesting...considering that skimmers take so much tuning it'll be cool if this thing really is simple....and works well.

I'm hoping it will be easy to tune too. I spent months trying to tune that PLS or as I like to call it a POS and sometimes it would skim but anytime I fed it would overflow if I forgot to turn it off after feeding. It was just way to difficult in my opinion to skim. I eventually replaced it with an algae scrubber that worked great for 6 months. I figured I would give skimming another try though.

I like that this one has a feed function having said that.

Depending on what you feed you shouldn't have to turn off your skimmer. Pellets and frozen shouldn't mess with your skimmer much at all. Amino acids and such might. I have a BM Curve 5 and I finally got it dialed after a few weeks. Now it skims like a nasty beast. I don't turn it off at all even when feeding unless it is amino acids.

Depending on what you feed you shouldn't have to turn off your skimmer. Pellets and frozen shouldn't mess with your skimmer much at all. Amino acids and such might. I have a BM Curve 5 and I finally got it dialed after a few weeks. Now it skims like a nasty beast. I don't turn it off at all even when feeding unless it is amino acids.

I use Rods to feed and like clockwork my PLS-100 would overflow. I'm hoping this Simplicity runs well

I'm hoping it will be easy to tune too. I spent months trying to tune that PLS or as I like to call it a POS and sometimes it would skim but anytime I fed it would overflow if I forgot to turn it off after feeding. It was just way to difficult in my opinion to skim. I eventually replaced it with an algae scrubber that worked great for 6 months. I figured I would give skimming another try though.

I like that this one has a feed function having said that.

I'll be following along. I have an SCA 301 and I just got it back to perfectly dialed in after a couple weeks of under performance. I bought an Octopus 110 INT from someone on NR, gonna have to start the process all over again, lol.

Luckily the RO's are well known and there are lots of videos about how people get the perfect skim.

I'll be following along. I have an SCA 301 and I just got it back to perfectly dialed in after a couple weeks of under performance. I bought an Octopus 110 INT from someone on NR, gonna have to start the process all over again, lol.

Luckily the RO's are well known and there are lots of videos about how people get the perfect skim.

I think you secretly just like trying to dial it in lol

In addition to the new skimmer excitement. About 3 days ago my GSP just decided not to open. I've read on other peoples posts that sometimes they just do this. They have not opened since so I'm just monitoring them.

All parameters are normal with exception of the Temp which was at 76 which I noticed yesterday. Since noticing the temp lower than where i prefer it I have bumped it up to 80. All corals are doing fine and look super healthy as of today.

Anyone ever had this issue with their GSP?

mine stopped opening for a week. no idea why. but like weeds, they will bounce back eventually

thats what I've read. im sure they will be fine. I've got a softball sized rock covered with them and my girlfriend absolutely loves them.

I was just searching random stuff on filter socks/floss tonight and I stumbled across something from lawn that he built to make it easy to hold floss. Being fairly handy, I figured I'd give it a shot at building one. Check out the original

Thanks for the inspiration lawn!

an update on the GSP that had been closed up for about a week. I saw progress this morning of them starting to open back up omgomgomg

In not so great news land, it looks as though I've lost the quick 24 hr battle with BJD. I'm fairly certain my duncan coral isn't going to make it

The Simplicity 120DC is here!!!

It looks great.

Well built and looks super easy to take apart and clean.

I love the locking collection cup and adjusting the type of skim (wet vs dry) is a cinch.

Runs quiet too.

Overall i'm very impressed with it.

Right now it is still breaking in but it looks like it will pull a ton of skim. fingerscrossed

Here are some pics:

post-90269-0-58488800-1453417114_thumb.jpgpost-90269-0-14164600-1453417120_thumb.jpgpost-90269-0-71808100-1453417126_thumb.jpg

post-90269-0-20578600-1453417131_thumb.jpgpost-90269-0-64448300-1453417108_thumb.jpg

it hasnt even been a week yet and this skimmer is pulling some nasty schite out of the water. It runs quietly and efficiently. I couldnt be more impressed with it right now. I would highly recommend it. Right now i have it sitting in 6-7" of water

Picked up some new stuff today....

Everything was buy 2 get one free!! I have no restraint

24487346020_3ed505e94f_b.jpgand of course the scarlet has to do his inspections on the new zoas

24665060222_8b6e4e7672_b.jpg

Anyone seen a zoa like this. I know its not a Sunny D. They guy at the store compared it to a sunny D and i scoured the depths of the internet to find a picture but cant find a good match

24760997072_f6734879e7_b.jpg24665060222_8b6e4e7672_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

hoping this guy colors up nicely

26096918416_92b6e920be_b.jpg

nice little acan the girl picked out. shes got a good eye 25849927180_116eb8011f_b.jpg

shot of zoa rock filling in nicely26056497831_4bf50f8f99_b.jpg

rasta impostas showing some growth25850009360_60c6374e89_b.jpg

new pick up (fire and ice zoas)

25850009280_253d8a1ae1_b.jpg

another new pick up with some various zoas (ANY ID Much appreciated)

25518095984_76cdaecb91_b.jpg

some type of acan right? ID would be great

26096919406_8c48834d6a_b.jpg

new flowerpot

25520142513_400e43daff_b.jpg

scarlet macro

25520142863_b045ec779d_b.jpg

How's that Skimmer doing now that you have been running it a couple weeks?

it was been running great. pulls some nasty schite out of the water and i never have to adjust it. I couldnt be happier with it

Archived