ReefCleaners.org

ID Assistance: Sponge?

ReefWeeds

Hey all,

I noticed this clear/translucent growth mass on a piece of live rock about a week ago. It is growing pretty quickly. At first I thought it was a clear tunicate of some sort, but there are no siphons that I can see and it doesn't retract or anything when prodded. So now I'm thinking sponge. However, it is in a very bright area of my tank - out in full light. It is growing out of two sides of a hole in my live rock. Sponge? I can't seem to find any good comparison pictures that look similar to this.

TYdpu9C.jpg?1

Have you touched it? What's the texture? Strange

I did - it's kinda spongy - and I know that sounds stupid. It's slick, but feels like a pillow.

Check this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/362113-white-stuff-awareness-thread/

Does it look like this? Sorry at work so can't see pics..

You know, I had some of that stuff which kinda started that thread. And it was on the same rock so I got worried that it was the same stuff. But this is growing more in mass form than filament form. But it is the same color. And it is really weird as it looks like it started in a hole in the rock and is now growing out both sides. I actually tore off a piece of it with tongs and it was hard to tear, unlike the white weird stuff.

This is a definite sponge, not the same as the white stuff at all. Feeling, texture and strength of the body support this pretty well. Some tunicates also have a really tough tunic like this but they always have siphons.

What's the green macro growing on that rock?

I'm not sure actually. It feels like chaeto but grows more like a turf algae. Doesn't seem to grow fast/doesn't seem invasive

This is a definite sponge, not the same as the white stuff at all. Feeling, texture and strength of the body support this pretty well. Some tunicates also have a really tough tunic like this but they always have siphons.

Thank you!!!

Archived