Coral Vue Hydros

2 MP10s or 1 Maxspect Gyre XF-130

myarmolich

myarmolich

I'm currently stuck trying to decide what would provide better flow for SPS in my 28 x 18 x 18 tank. My budget is about 250 so I'm capable of doing one of the two. Let me know what you think the best option is.

I am very intrigued by the gyre but I don't think you can argue with the track record of the Vortech series. Great reliability, customer support, flow and aesthetics. I have two MP10s on a 50 gallon breeder (36x18x18) and they rock it pretty hard. I recently set this tank up and put some SPS frags in and they are all encrusting with great polyp extension.

That being said I think the gyre is very interesting and would love to try one out. My main concerns are about long term reliability. There have been some reports of problems with the paddle as well as the wire entering the unit. If you do have problems how will coralvue deal with them vs how ecotech would help you out if a MP10 was messed up. I had to get a new wetside on a brand new MP10 and I had one 3 days later.

I have had both and I love the gyre 130 on my 75 gallon so far. The flow is awesome. Like said before, only drawbacks are that in afraid to put small cerith snails in the tank because I heard they can break the paddles. Other than that I love it.

Steensj2004

I like my Gyre, but I had a horrible time with getting it to push water the way I wanted. It has advantages over Ecotechs, but its really hard to tell you what you should or should not get. Some people like one better, others like the other one. For an SPS tank, I'd say MP10s. I think the broader span of modes and the fact that 2x MP10 give you much more flow diversity, you SPS will be happier. That doesn't mean the Gyre won't work. You might just have to try out the Gyre or MP10 and switch if you don't like one or the other. FWIW, I have dwarf cerith snails and haven't broken a paddle yet.....knock on wood.....

myarmolich

I like my Gyre, but I had a horrible time with getting it to push water the way I wanted. It has advantages over Ecotechs, but its really hard to tell you what you should or should not get. Some people like one better, others like the other one. For an SPS tank, I'd say MP10s. I think the broader span of modes and the fact that 2x MP10 give you much more flow diversity, you SPS will be happier. That doesn't mean the Gyre won't work. You might just have to try out the Gyre or MP10 and switch if you don't like one or the other. FWIW, I have dwarf cerith snails and haven't broken a paddle yet.....knock on wood.....

I am very concerned with the pump breaking. if i go the MP10 route i'll probably go used to make my budget go further. I noticed on your tank you have sand (i love your tank btw :D) does the gyre turn your sandbed a lot?

Steensj2004

I am very concerned with the pump breaking. if i go the MP10 route i'll probably go used to make my budget go further. I noticed on your tank you have sand (i love your tank btw :D) does the gyre turn your sandbed a lot?

Thanks! I really don't have a lot of issues with my sand bed. At the point where it disturbs the bed, I'm hammering my corals so hard it's pointless. Lol

• 4 months later...

Thanks! I really don't have a lot of issues with my sand bed. At the point where it disturbs the bed, I'm hammering my corals so hard it's pointless. Lol

I am also stuck between a GYRE 130 and an MP40 considering it is a $100 difference. I'm just concerned that the Gyre 130 will not work as well considering that I haven't found anyone using it on a tank my size. I have a 42 thats 30x18x18

I am also stuck between a GYRE 130 and an MP40 considering it is a $100 difference. I'm just concerned that the Gyre 130 will not work as well considering that I haven't found anyone using it on a tank my size. I have a 42 thats 30x18x18

Your dimensions are close to mine, I keep my Gyre 130 @ 40%

36 x18 x 12 are dimensions on my tank.

Your dimensions are close to mine, I keep my Gyre 130 @ 40%

36 x18 x 12 are dimensions on my tank.

Awesome and you have it horizontal on the side? and do what settings are you using?

I am very intrigued by the gyre but I don't think you can argue with the track record of the Vortech series. Great reliability, customer support, flow and aesthetics. I have two MP10s on a 50 gallon breeder (36x18x18) and they rock it pretty hard. I recently set this tank up and put some SPS frags in and they are all encrusting with great polyp extension.

That being said I think the gyre is very interesting and would love to try one out. My main concerns are about long term reliability. There have been some reports of problems with the paddle as well as the wire entering the unit. If you do have problems how will coralvue deal with them vs how ecotech would help you out if a MP10 was messed up. I had to get a new wetside on a brand new MP10 and I had one 3 days later.

Bill, I can't argue that you are happy with the MP10s but I have a tank with the exact same dimensions and 2 MP10s didn't do anything for my SPS dominant tank. The flow was extremely mild even at full power.

My gyre at 100% is a bit much, and the fish do the salmon upstream swim thing. But it moves water like nothing I have seen. yet.

Awesome and you have it horizontal on the side? and do what settings are you using?

Horizontal on the right side(as looking at the tank), on pulse @ 35-40%. Pulse @ about 10 seconds on, 10 off.

Bill, I can't argue that you are happy with the MP10s but I have a tank with the exact same dimensions and 2 MP10s didn't do anything for my SPS dominant tank. The flow was extremely mild even at full power.

My gyre at 100% is a bit much, and the fish do the salmon upstream swim thing. But it moves water like nothing I have seen. yet.

I have a 70 gallon (36x18x26) that has tons of SPS in it and my two mp10's do a great job! I don't even run them over 80 percent. I can get a one and a half inch wave going in the tank on 80 percent. I vote MP10 because they are tried and true. They also have great longevity that has been proven time and time again. Just my two cents. But as with everything in this hobby, take it with a grain of salt and do what you feel is best!

Archived