Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Where to get new tank?

VW_TDI_02

I'm looking to get a new rimless tank in the future but I'm not sure where is the best place. I've gotten quotes from a few places and they were way over priced for my budget.

Reef Savvy: 36*20*16 with ghost overflow, regular glass, and phantom bottom = $1050

Pico: 30*13*13 with ghost overflow, three sided low iron = $600 (this was before deciding to upgrade to a larger tank)

Pico: 36*20*16 with ghost overflow, black back, starfire front and side = $650 + $161.43 Shipping

Glass Cages: 38*18*16, tank only, regular glass. = $265

Oceans by Design: 30*20*16 rimless, starfire glass, weir back panel, and coast to coast overflow = $899

Glass cages is the only one that is even remotely reasonable when it comes to price. I can get a 40 breeder from the Petco $/gallon sale but they come with a really thick rim which I don't like. Are there any other places I could get a reasonable quote from? I'm not too worried about the ghost overflow, I can find one for $100.

Largest footprint I can get: 36x20 and I would prefer a shorter tank. Will probably be lit with a 165 watt chinese panel.

Not really sure if a 36x12x12 would even be worth the upgrade. I already have a 20 long which is 30x13x13 so that would only be a little bigger.

Not really sure if a 36x12x12 would even be worth the upgrade. I already have a 20 long which is 30x13x13 so that would only be a little bigger.

Ok, but you mentioned a 30x13x13 in your first post.

Ok, but you mentioned a 30x13x13 in your first post.

You're right. I was thinking of replacing my current 20 long but I think I'm going to go with a bigger tank. Already built a larger stand for it. I'll update the OP in order to reflect that.

I got mine from Oceans by Design and the service was excellent.

Thanks!! I just submitted a request for a quote.

That looks great and I like how they have free shipping which saves a lot of money. Only thing is that it's a bit small. They have the ideal tank but only as an AIO. Might have to check them out and see if I can get that without the acrylic insert and just have them drill the rimless tank itself. They definitely have some reasonable prices.

http://advancedacrylics.com/collections/frag-tanks/products/sump-2

Well I just received a second quote from Pico for a slightly larger tank and I updated the OP with it. I've also sent a request to advancedacrylics.com about the tank linked above. It's the perfect footprint but it's an AIO which is not something I want. Unfortunately I think I may have to go with just a regular 40 breeder from Petco as I can't afford to drop over $500 on a tank.

Pico: 36*20*16 with ghost overflow, black back, starfire front and side = $650 + $161.43 Shipping

Well I just received a second quote from Pico for a slightly larger tank and I updated the OP with it. I've also sent a request to advancedacrylics.com about the tank linked above. It's the perfect footprint but it's an AIO which is not something I want. Unfortunately I think I may have to go with just a regular 40 breeder from Petco as I can't afford to drop over $500 on a tank.

Does Pico do non-starfire? That might be what's pushing up the price.

Also, might be worth a shot to get a quote from http://primoreefacrylics.com/request-a-quote/

I got my current tank from him, great guy to work with and top notch quality. He's up here in Canada, not sure what currency he charges international customers, but if he charges in CAD all the better for you right now lol!

Does Pico do non-starfire? That might be what's pushing up the price.

Also, might be worth a shot to get a quote from http://primoreefacrylics.com/request-a-quote/

I got my current tank from him, great guy to work with and top notch quality. He's up here in Canada, not sure what currency he charges international customers, but if he charges in CAD all the better for you right now lol!

Do you think starfire is that much more expensive? I feel bad bombarding them with quotes, haha. The international charges aren't what worry me about them, it's the international shipping. Even shipping within the US is coming out to be around $150 and that's with me going to a local freight area to pick it up myself.

I have no idea how much more expensive starfire is lol.

But based solely on this, seems like a lot: http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=42

It shows 3/8" regular glass at $6, and starfire at $12.

Damn, I didn't think it would be that much more expensive. I've never seen it in person but I know my tanks have always looked just fine with regular glass. I'm just wondering if getting a rimless tank is really worth the mark up.

masterbuilder

I dont think you can really get anything worth a nickle for anything less than 4-500. As simple as tanks are, there is lots of labor and material costs involved in one of a kind. Call a glass shop and price out the glass....you will be surprised at the high price.

Try posting that your looking for a custom built tank in NC. There is someplace up there, maybe in Charlotte, that has made tanks for a member or two here.

You could make your own (I have). Its not rocket science. If you go slow and are careful it will look as good or better than the ones you listed. The one I made was not much smaller and I think I had about nearly $250 in it.

Mark

p.s. you definitely get what you pay for with glass cages :huh:

I dont think you can really get anything worth a nickle for anything less than 4-500. As simple as tanks are, there is lots of labor and material costs involved in one of a kind. Call a glass shop and price out the glass....you will be surprised at the high price.

Try posting that your looking for a custom built tank in NC. There is someplace up there, maybe in Charlotte, that has made tanks for a member or two here.

You could make your own (I have). Its not rocket science. If you go slow and are careful it will look as good or better than the ones you listed. The one I made was not much smaller and I think I had about nearly $250 in it.

Mark

p.s. you definitely get what you pay for with glass cages :huh:

I think I'll end up just going to Petco. Like I said, I just can't afford to spend that much on a tank. Means I get to spend more on lights, haha.

Not to thread jack, I literally just got a quote from Reef Savvy for a 20x20x20 rimless cube. They quoted me $490 using 1/2" glass. 1/2" glass seems a bit thick for that size tank, now I understand they build their tanks for the highest quality possible but still, 1/2" seems way overboard, especially when my 20x20x20 solana uses 1/4". I even made a comment saying, that seems a bit thick considering my solana uses 1/4", they replied with, well we use a higrt safety factor for our tanks. Might have to checkout a few places mentioned in this thread.

Not to thread jack, I literally just got a quote from Reef Savvy for a 20x20x20 rimless cube. They quoted me $490 using 1/2" glass. 1/2" glass seems a bit thick for that size tank, now I understand they build their tanks for the highest quality possible but still, 1/2" seems way overboard, especially when my 20x20x20 solana uses 1/4". I even made a comment saying, that seems a bit thick considering my solana uses 1/4", they replied with, well we use a higrt safety factor for our tanks. Might have to checkout a few places mentioned in this thread.

No worries, I would look at Pico but even that's a bit steep IMO. I forgot to add another quote from Oceans by Design.

"To build a 30 x 20 x 16 tall rimless aquarium made out of ½ annealed glass, with the front panel and the two end panels made out of ½ starfire glass, with an external overflow box made out of 3/8 annealed glass, with all edges on all pieces diamond polished, with a notch and a return hole cut into the back panel for a weir system, with 2 holes cut into the bottom of the external overflow box for drains, with a slim interior coast to coast overflow made out of 3/8 black acrylic, with clear silicone = $ 899.00"

Turns out the weir system adds $180. I responded asking for a quote without the weir systems as it was a bit of a hassle. Still waiting on a response.

That really doesn't seem too bad imo. I might have to contact them and see how much it would be to build just the tank, idk if Miracles was mentioned here but that's another company you could checkout. Imo, I'd stay from acrylic, maybe I'm just biased towards glass tanks though.

I dont think you can really get anything worth a nickle for anything less than 4-500.

This is becoming a serious reality, as expensive as Reef Savvy was I'm starting to realize that they're not that far off from others. Only one that was a bit cheaper was SCA who quoted $500 shipped, whereas Reef Savvy and Pico were $480-$480 + shipping.

Honestly, do it right the first time, go with PicO or Reef Savvy.

If I could afford to then I would but I think I'm just going to go with a regular 40 breeder when I decide to upgrade. Money is a bit tight for now so I'm going to stick it out a bit longer with the 20 long.

If I could afford to then I would but I think I'm just going to go with a regular 40 breeder when I decide to upgrade. Money is a bit tight for now so I'm going to stick it out a bit longer with the 20 long.

If money is tight then don't upgrade. An upgrade on a budget is a stupid waste of money you don't have. Save and do it right.

Archived