Coral Vue Hydros

New miniature WiFi LED controller $100

SpencerShepard

Ok I guess I am a little slow on the learning curve...

I am putting together a new tank after a 15 year break and we did not have all of the fancy lighting that is available today(I used an old fashion plug in light timer). I have a Nano Box Tide light fixture with a Storm controller due to arrive tomorrow. I also will have an Apex controller at my disposal. If I understand everything correctly, this controller would replace my Storm controller. It provide all of the functionality of the Storm but add wifi and a mobile app. Is that correct? So this would essentially be like mixing the Storm and the Apex??

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpencerShepard

I am putting together a new tank after a 15 year break and we did not have all of the fancy lighting that is available today(I used an old fashion plug in light timer). I have a Nano Box Tide light fixture with a Storm controller due to arrive tomorrow. I also will have an Apex controller at my disposal. If I understand everything correctly, this controller would replace my Storm controller. It provide all of the functionality of the Storm but add wifi and a mobile app. Is that correct? So this would essentially be like mixing the Storm and the Apex??

Yes, this would replace your Storm controller. Hmm....it's a bit more unique I would say. It certainly provides a lot more functionality than the Storm. To my knowledge, it is the only controller that uses real weather, in real time, to simulate those conditions over your tank. It is quite a different experience to have natural weather simulation, than the random cloud cover or storms that other controllers may provide.

I'm the developer for this so I'm obviously biased...maybe a current Bluefish user could chime in?

Like Spencer said, it would replace your storm controller if you got the mini. It would add wireless control via a mobile app. The user interface is cleaner and easier to use. The easiest thing to do is set a max per lighting channel, set when to turn on/off the lights, enable the natural sun setting and then you are all set. You can also set customize schedules if you wanted.

Very easy to modified the settings such as when acclimating new corals.

Lighting effects such as cloud cover and lightning storms can be set via a selected location. The effects will occur per the selected location's weather conditions.

I'm not a lighting effects kind of guy tho.

The full bluefish controller has the ability to add a video feed to the app. I'm not sure if Spencer confirmed if the mini would have it too but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Some other benefits to the full controller are the ability to control almost any led driver in the market. If you changed your light for whatever reason and its controllable then the Full Bluefish controller can probably control it (but you are getting a nanobox so why would you ever buy another light?) There are also future equipment that could be released that will make it more of a competitor to a Apex controller such as sensors and outlets.

I don't know of any modules for the Apex that allow it to control PWM yet so you are stuck with 0-10V compatible lights (after you purchase the VDM Module of course). It can add a video feed like the bluefish. The apex itself is a full controller that is more used for pump/ equipment control and sensors. Hopefully, these functions will come to the Bluefish too. Right now, you can't really compare the 2.

I think the real benefit to the bluefish over the storm is the user interface. Its just easy to figure out and adjust. .

Plus you get a signature for forums so thats kinda cool.

jedimasterben

Spencer - is it a definite that the mini will not support the live video feed and future expansion in outlet/sensor control?

There is no reason it couldn't support the live video feed, as the app is just connecting your phone directly to the webcam video feed, shouldn't have much do with the actual controller.

The Mini does not have a Blueport, so it won't be able to connect to anything other than DIY lighting.

so, wait... I currently have a storm controller on my NB Tide. I could buy this wifi controller and basically swap out the storm for bluefish with no additional work on my end, just plug and play?

so, wait... I currently have a storm controller on my NB Tide. I could buy this wifi controller and basically swap out the storm for bluefish with no additional work on my end, just plug and play?

Pretty much. You would just need to power the bluefish mini with a micro usb cord.(basically an old Android phone charger if you have one laying around.) The only other thing would be make a case of some sort for it if you want.

There is no reason it couldn't support the live video feed, as the app is just connecting your phone directly to the webcam video feed, shouldn't have much do with the actual controller.

The Mini does not have a Blueport, so it won't be able to connect to anything other than DIY lighting.

Ah, thats right. I totally forgot it interfaces to the camera through wifi, so that should still work.

Pretty much. You would just need to power the bluefish mini with a micro usb cord.(basically an old Android phone charger if you have one laying around.) The only other thing would be make a case of some sort for it if you want.

Awesome! I may end up going this route - use my dremel to make a case for it. I have old android cords around, and heck, microUSB cords are cheap.

But wait... I have the tide and I only have channels 1 and 2... would I still only end up being able to use 2 channels and therefore not the individual colors?

jedimasterben

But wait... I have the tide and I only have channels 1 and 2... would I still only end up being able to use 2 channels and therefore not the individual colors?

Yep

Awesome! I may end up going this route - use my dremel to make a case for it. I have old android cords around, and heck, microUSB cords are cheap.

Unfortunately, yes, you only have 2 drivers to control and therefore, 2 channels.

Yep

Unfortunately, yes, you only have 2 drivers to control and therefore, 2 channels.

Meh, I'll just stick with the Storm for now, then. I already have it set and everything. Bluefish for the next one ;)

SpencerShepard

This is accurate. The Mini will support video feeds, but doesn't have a Blueport, so no add-ons.

Sweet! Time to get busy in inventor.

Would love to see what you come up with!

I'll try to make a small stand alone box for the bf mini. But I'm waiting on someone *cough*Ben*cough* to find out whether or not the WiFi is effected by aluminum. Also waiting to get my light so I can rebuild the driver box to accommodate the bf mini, drivers, etc

I'll try to make a small stand alone box for the bf mini. But I'm waiting on someone *cough*Ben*cough* to find out whether or not the WiFi is effected by aluminum. Also waiting to get my light so I can rebuild the driver box to accommodate the bf mini, drivers, etc

I do believe that the wifi signal will be affected by aluminum, the question is just how much. To answer that, I really think it will depend on each application, as your position in relation to the router will be a big determining factor. I honestly dont think housing it inside an aluminum case will cause that big of a difference. For example, there are a number of laptops on the market that use an aluminum frame, and are still able to pick up a wifi signal.

The antenna is at the end of the Imp card, so just have it exposed outside the enclosure. You want to be able to remove it if necessary don't you? And you have to have the end exposed for Blinkup anyway.

The antenna is at the end of the Imp card, so just have it exposed outside the enclosure. You want to be able to remove it if necessary don't you? And you have to have the end exposed for Blinkup anyway.

Good to know. Thanks.

SpencerShepard

An all-metal enclosure would have a negative impact on wi-fi performance. Whether or not it would still be usable would require some experimentation. If you're close to your access point, it might not be any issue. Best would be to have a plastic endcap that you can stick the end of the imp card through (flush with the cap is fine...ie like the slot on the Bluefish).

What you definitely don't want is any metal within about 1/2" around the end of the card. This is where the antenna is, and metal in proximity to this will de-tune the antenna. If you wanted to try an all metal enclosure, it might be best to tuck the mini fully inside the enclosure, rather than having the antenna in close proximity to the metal case, as it would be if the card end was flush with the enclosure. Having it stick out of the case would probably be okay.

Also you may want to allow "access" to the LED/photosensor on the imp card for blinkup. You will need to blinkup for initial setup, and every time you change you wifi network name or password. If you never change wifi credentials, you could hide the whole thing away.

jedimasterben

The Bluefish Mini is up for pre-order here!

Expected ship date is April 2nd (hopefully sooner). I've had a ton of emails about this product, and a bunch of pending orders from dealers and manufacturers, so I expect this first batch to move quickly. Get one quick! Dave @ Nano Box will also be taking pre-orders.

Just a note on the comparison, the Mini can support up to 80x LDD per channel. 3x is only 0.15mA.

Archived