Pod Your Reef

Obeythefro's IM Fusion 10

obeythefro

Hello all! I just picked up my first legit nano reef tank, a Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 10, from Marine Depot today. WOOOOOO!! :happydance: I say legit because I have a small pico tank that I just kind of started on a whim when my wife's beta died and she was going to toss the Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5. I grabbed it and turned it into a somewhat ill conceived ghetto reef. Anyways, I have been plotting my entry into legit nano reefing; reading, bugging LFS employees, reading, bugging NR members, reading, etc.

I had been going back and fourth on a tank, knowing that this system will grow slowly, and that I want to enjoy it without stressing too much. At first I was set on an ADA or Mr. Aqua rimless glass, but since it is such a blank slate, and I am such a newb, I decided to go with an AIO setup. At the top of my list were the CAD Lights 8g Mini II, the JBJ 12g Nanocube, and the IM Fusion 10. After much indecision, I went with the IM because I like the rimless look, the new CAD shrunk down the display area a bit too much for my taste, and it was only 85 dollars on sale!!

For now this tank is going to be primarily zoas, rics, acans, maxi mini, maybe some easy LPS, various snails, a hermit, maybe some sexies, possibly a cleaner shrimp. I want to keep the bioload light, so I don't think any fish are in my future. SPS are off the table for now, until I gain some more experience. These are my plans, we will see how it goes.

Current setup:

Tank:

Innovative Marine Fusion 10

Flow:
Stock 92GPH Return Pump

Hydor Koralia 240

Temperature:

Eheim Jager TruTemp 50W heater

Sand and Rock:

6 lbs live rock, probably a bit more to come as I nail down the scape
1" bed Carib Sea Bahamas Oolite

Future:

Light:

Debating Nanobox Mini Tide or Kessil A150

Filtration:

Definitely ditching the only sad part on this tank (the media basket), probably for a custom solution (I happen to have access to a laser cutter)

Probably going to work in a fuge somehow

Skimming:

I'm torn on this. What do you guys think, is it necessary in a tank this size?

ATO:

Not sure yet, any suggestions? I know it is something that I definitely want soon as it never seems to cool down here in SoCal.

Enough with the boring stuff, on to pictures:

Boxes!!

20141128_105823_zps3dfcd762.jpg

Side View. Plenty of depth. Its actually a perfect cube of water with a 1" sand bed!
20141128_110615_zps4a9230ab.jpg

Back View. Thanks Employee 21 for making sure my tank was perfect!

20141128_110651_zps80af0b39.jpg

Filter Area. The only sketchy part of this tank so far is this media basket. This simply won't do.

20141128_113332_zpsd2b1ddff.jpg

Scratched Up Minibow 2.5 Reef. Don't worry life forms, your new home awaits!

DSC01144_zpsbd67f8ee.jpg

Side By Side Comparison.

20141128_114432_zpsc3fef86d.jpg

Sand and Water.

20141128_140504_zps93393ac2.jpg

Cloudy Water Box!!

20141128_185021_zps4580e1ae.jpg

Thanks for looking. Please check back, I am sure I will need pointers and definitely input on my scape!

reefernanoman

Welcome to the 10g nuvo fusion club! It's getting bigger by the day! Check mine out to see and learn from me

Nice tank BTW. Your other tank looks nice too!

I would get a hydor smart auto top off. Mine is on its way from MD. It has no moving parts like float switches that always fail or a snail gets stuck on them. You can get one for like $55 currently from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EVD944A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417232464&sr=8-1

Welcome to the 10g nuvo fusion club! It's getting bigger by the day! Check mine out to see and learn from me

Nice tank BTW. Your other tank looks nice too!

I would get a hydor smart auto top off. Mine is on its way from MD. It has no moving parts like float switches that always fail or a snail gets stuck on them. You can get one for like $55 currently from Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EVD944A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417232464&sr=8-1

Awesome, thanks for the tip on the ATO! I will check out your thread, thanks!

Looking sexy. For the ATO I am going to go with a DIY fixture to save on costs, my father and brother are the mechanical/electrical types so I can have them make sure everything looks good in order to keep from electrocuting myself. If you are good with that sort of thing its worth looking into, just remember you will still need a pump and the water bucket with your ATO kit so don't forget those!

Skimming isn't necessary in a tank this size if you stay on top of your weekly water changes, but I know a lot of people with this tank like to run either a Pico Skim 2.0, one of the IM Ghost Desktop sized skimmers or even a Mame skimmer in the back (they are all small enough to fit in the first chamber). If you can be home enough to change the water often enough I wouldn't worry about it though.

Keep up the good worth with this thing, I'll be following along to see how your future plans make it better. :)

Looking sexy. For the ATO I am going to go with a DIY fixture to save on costs, my father and brother are the mechanical/electrical types so I can have them make sure everything looks good in order to keep from electrocuting myself. If you are good with that sort of thing its worth looking into, just remember you will still need a pump and the water bucket with your ATO kit so don't forget those!

Skimming isn't necessary in a tank this size if you stay on top of your weekly water changes, but I know a lot of people with this tank like to run either a Pico Skim 2.0, one of the IM Ghost Desktop sized skimmers or even a Mame skimmer in the back (they are all small enough to fit in the first chamber). If you can be home enough to change the water often enough I wouldn't worry about it though.

Keep up the good worth with this thing, I'll be following along to see how your future plans make it better. :)

Thanks! I'm interested to see what you guys come up with for the ATO. I love DIY stuff, maybe this is the way for me. I keep pondering an Arduino whole tank management system, but I think I am bit green (with respect to reefing, not Arduinoing) for that at this time.

I think I am going to skip the skimmer for now. Maybe when I get some SPS (a long time from now) I might implement one, but for now, I'm just going to stick with water changes. I was thinking 30-40% per week.

Looking forward to making this little box grow. I'll be following yours too. Thanks!

:welcome: to the IM10 Fusion club! Like en28so said, there are already several of us using this tank, so I'm looking forward to following along on your build. Feel free to check out my build thread to compare notes.

I agree that a skimmer isn't really needed in a tank this small. I just recently added a Pico Skim 2.0 to my 4g CAD Lights (I won it in a contest here on NR), and the biggest difference it's made for me is to allow a little more flexibility in when and how much I change the water.

I'm in the process of replacing my Hydor ATO with a Tunze. I've got the Hydor working ok, but every time I put my hand in the tank or crank up the MP10, the overflow alarm goes off.

Great choices on your lighting plans. I've got a Nanobox on my 4g tank, and another one on order for my IM10. But if I hadn't gone with the Nanobox the Kessil would have been my second choice.

Look forward to the build.

Love this tank so far with the premium kit light. I replaced the media basket with the one from intank. Also have the tunze ATO on mine as well.

:welcome: to the IM10 Fusion club! Like en28so said, there are already several of us using this tank, so I'm looking forward to following along on your build. Feel free to check out my build thread to compare notes.

I agree that a skimmer isn't really needed in a tank this small. I just recently added a Pico Skim 2.0 to my 4g CAD Lights (I won it in a contest here on NR), and the biggest difference it's made for me is to allow a little more flexibility in when and how much I change the water.

I'm in the process of replacing my Hydor ATO with a Tunze. I've got the Hydor working ok, but every time I put my hand in the tank or crank up the MP10, the overflow alarm goes off.

Great choices on your lighting plans. I've got a Nanobox on my 4g tank, and another one on order for my IM10. But if I hadn't gone with the Nanobox the Kessil would have been my second choice.

Just checked out your build. Your setup is awesome! I really lIke the scape!

It looks like the Tunze is becoming the consensus for ATO, I'll probably jump on that.

I see you are running an MP10, but at like 40%, do you know the flow rate at that setting, I calculate 720gph, is that right? Do you think my powerhead is too light on flow?

Look forward to the build.

Love this tank so far with the premium kit light. I replaced the media basket with the one from intank. Also have the tunze ATO on mine as well.

Your tank looks good! I wasn't sure about the light, but it looks great in your picture, nice color too.

Yeah, think I'm going to jump on the Tunze wagon as well. Thanks!

Spent most of the day scaping. I am super new at this, so please let me know if you see something that will make for a better look with corals. I am not super sure about the upper right rock, it feels a bit out of place. I think I am going to go back to the LFS to find a cool island rock for the left front too. Here is what I have so far:

2014-11-30%2015.08.34_zpsft3ukn0l.jpg

2014-11-30%2015.08.07_zpsruwsjibj.jpg

20141130_150023_zpsz5mvjvb8.jpg

Wish I could help you out on the scaping, but I am totally horrible at it. B) It doesn't seem too bad to me? Just needs to get some more purpling on everything and it should look great.

Wish I could help you out on the scaping, but I am totally horrible at it. B) It doesn't seem too bad to me? Just needs to get some more purpling on everything and it should look great.

I hear you, I think I'm going to grab a bottle of Purple Up to Kickstart the process.

I hear you, I think I'm going to grab a bottle of Purple Up to Kickstart the process.

Just get that little island piece of LR, like you said, and make sure it has a decent amount of coralline on it.

Just get that little island piece of LR, like you said, and make sure it has a decent amount of coralline on it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to keep a look out for a solid piece.

Just checked out your build. Your setup is awesome! I really lIke the scape!

It looks like the Tunze is becoming the consensus for ATO, I'll probably jump on that.

I see you are running an MP10, but at like 40%, do you know the flow rate at that setting, I calculate 720gph, is that right? Do you think my powerhead is too light on flow?

Your tank looks good! I wasn't sure about the light, but it looks great in your picture, nice color too.

Yeah, think I'm going to jump on the Tunze wagon as well. Thanks!

Thanks! I just posted some updated pictures with the white balance corrected. I'm currently using my old PAR30 bulb while I wait for the Nanobox Mini to arrive, but it's really pretty good. I was able to grow everything from LPS and Zoas to SPS under it in my old tank. The biggest upgrade with the Nanobox is the special mix of LED's that Dave uses, along with the ability to control the individual white and blue channels.

I've never worried about calculating flow rate on the MP10, I just know it's a lot no matter what setting you put in on in a small tank like ours :D

Basically the way I determine what setting to use is to turn it up as high as it will go without splashing over the edge, or screwing up the ATO, or driving the corals nuts. Since I don't have corals yet I'm only worried about the first two, and right now the Hydor ATO keeps me from turning it up much past 4. Once I get corals in, I doubt I would need to turn it up much past 4 anyway. I've found that as long as there's enough flow to keep all the SPS polyps waving in the current and to keep detritus from getting stuck in the SPS corals, then that's enough. LPS corals can get quite annoyed with too much flow, so it's a balancing act and sometimes you can't put corals in all the places you'd like based on the way the flow works.

I'd say you've got all the flow you need with the Hydor Koralia that's in there now, especially with your current stocking plans. If you decide to try some SPS in the future, I'd put them in and see how they like it. You can always upgrade then.

InTank media basket is being shipped today! Cycle is progressing nicely, hopefully I will have some corals to show soon.

Yes! You will be impressed by the quality. Don't be shy about posting pics during the cycle. When I was researching and learning, it really helped me to see what tanks look like in all phases, not just when they're all grown out and pretty looking.

Yes! You will be impressed by the quality. Don't be shy about posting pics during the cycle. When I was researching and learning, it really helped me to see what tanks look like in all phases, not just when they're all grown out and pretty looking.

Thanks! Good point, I will post more pics soon.

Help! This scape has been sitting in my tank for a few days now, and I don't hate it, but there is something about it that I don't like and I can not put my finger on it. What do you guys think? Is there enough room for corals? Is it too dense? Do you see anything that looks awkward? I am petrified that I am going to epoxy this thing together and then find out that it is a horrible setup for corals.

Frontal:

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/ericschwartz3/media/DSC01250_zpse0f23ded.jpg.html'>DSC01250_zpse0f23ded.jpg

Right Side:

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/ericschwartz3/media/20141208_195821_zps3b876502.jpg.html'>20141208_195821_zps3b876502.jpg

Left Side:

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/ericschwartz3/media/20141208_195807_zpse805c2c9.jpg.html'>20141208_195807_zpse805c2c9.jpg

Thanks!

I think you could get rid of the top right piece. Take a look at my 4g thread if you haven't already, and you'll see I progressively removed more rock and more sand as the tank got a little older through the first few months.

But don't feel like whatever you do now is literally set in stone. Just don't glue up the rocks until later, if ever. The rocks in my 4g CAD Lights still aren't glued and that tank's almost a year old. I ended up having to remove the rocks a couple times to dip them and to move to a new tank, so I was really glad I never glued them. Mine are big and heavy enough that the snails can't move them, so unless I really screw around with my hand in the tank, they don't move at all.

The only problem I've had is one time I tried to put them back after dipping and couldn't get them quite the same way they were before, and ended up having to reglue corals as a result. But I liked the end result better anyway :D

Just be patient with the cycle. I'm just starting the 5th week on mine, and still have a way to go. Patience now will save you heartache in the future. I've always been of the mind that the heavier the cycle, the better the long term results. For me the initial cycle doesnt end until those oxygen starved bacteria deep in your rock start converting the nitrate to nitrogen.

I think you could get rid of the top right piece. Take a look at my 4g thread if you haven't already, and you'll see I progressively removed more rock and more sand as the tank got a little older through the first few months.

But don't feel like whatever you do now is literally set in stone. Just don't glue up the rocks until later, if ever. The rocks in my 4g CAD Lights still aren't glued and that tank's almost a year old. I ended up having to remove the rocks a couple times to dip them and to move to a new tank, so I was really glad I never glued them. Mine are big and heavy enough that the snails can't move them, so unless I really screw around with my hand in the tank, they don't move at all.

The only problem I've had is one time I tried to put them back after dipping and couldn't get them quite the same way they were before, and ended up having to reglue corals as a result. But I liked the end result better anyway :D

I do think it is the top right rock that seeMs to bother me the most. I might get rid of it and place the little purple rock up there. I kind of want to let that little shelf on the left provide some shade for some low light mushrooms. It's a little unstable right now, so maybe I'll just glue the parts I'm sure about, or maybe just knock off the parts that are making it unstable. Thanks for the pointers!

Just be patient with the cycle. I'm just starting the 5th week on mine, and still have a way to go. Patience now will save you heartache in the future. I've always been of the mind that the heavier the cycle, the better the long term results. For me the initial cycle doesnt end until those oxygen starved bacteria deep in your rock start converting the nitrate to nitrogen.

Yeah, for sure. I definitely don't want to rush it. I just really want to make sure I end up with a scapersonal that will look good with stuff on it.

Btw, did you get a new light???? :scarry:

Kind of, just running a Coral Compulsion Par 30 18k light that I picked up from a friend for now. Still deciding between Nanobox and now the Kessil 160we. Haven't seen the nitrite spike yet, so hopefully I will be able to see some reviews on the 160 before the diatoms show up.

Take a look at my 4g thread if you haven't already, and you'll see I progressively removed more rock and more sand as the tank got a little older through the first few months.

Your 4g is amazing BTW!

Archived