Top Shelf Aquatics

Fragsreef shallow 20 JBJ UP in SMOKE!

frags

Little update with the tank... Im still cycling! cant believe it has been a month using the one an only product, I don't recommend it!

On a better not I have the light wired here is an updated pic.

post-76333-0-56103000-1411951981_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-52620900-1411951982_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to figure the best plan of action for filtration...looking for suggestions. I have never kept LPS and softies and that's my plan. I'm not planing on using a skimmer just lots of water changes. I guess the question is carbon and gfo or just one of the other?

I could also do maybe a chemipure, what do you guys use or suggest in an aio?

• 3 weeks later...

Impulse buy the other day at love the reef. I bout a couple of ORA misbar clowns... Im not really into the fish in the hobby and I was looking at getting a possum wrasse but these guys looked super healthy and they will be great for eating all the food I put into the tank. Take a look at the pics!

post-76333-0-80476600-1415843032_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-30981000-1415843033_thumb.jpg

Looking good, the whole suspended "stand" look is awesome.

Thanks glad you like it. I'm going to update the equipment list and stocking list for the build this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new tank it is a 20 gallon JBJ shallow tank with sand and dry rock. The tank took 2 months to cycle and I used Dr. Tims. The tank has been cycled now for 6 weeks.

The question is why does my Alkalinity drop so fast?..... A little about the tank

Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 5.16
Calcium is at 500
Mag at 1350
PH Day is 7.8 night is 7.6
Temp fluctuates between 76-78

I use Coralife salt and I change 3 gallons about every 10 days. The new salt mix mixes at 9dkh before I add to the tank.

Tank inhabitants

rock flower anemone
1 chalice frag
12 assorted snails
I macro algae
3 sexy shrimp
1 rodactus mushroom

Things I have ruled out...

The RODI water is fine 6 stage Spectapure with no TDS come out the other end
Alk test results confirmed with 2 test a Hanna kit and a Red sea Kit.

NOTE
I do see a hazy cloud in the tank and it is not Calcium precipitating before someone offers that. I cant tell if its the sand bacasue the tank is so shallow or if its possibly a bacteria bloom? It has been going on for about 3 weeks.

Help would be great!

Water changes alone aren't going to fix your alk problem. Unless you do several 50% exchanges. You just aren't adding enough carbonate with your current WC schedule. You need to initially bump your level up to 9.. and then water changes alone should be enough until your tank gets established before you have to start dosing.

You're at 5dkh and you need to get to 9. Bake 1/2 cup of arm and hammer baking soda in the oven in a shallow baking pan at 300degrees for 1 hour. Dissolve 1/4 tsp in RO/DI and add this mixture over the course of a day and repeat for 4-5 days. You can drip it in or split it up into several doses per day, just don't dose it all at once or you'll spike your pH. Test alk at the same time every day.

Water changes alone aren't going to fix your alk problem. Unless you do several 50% exchanges. You just aren't adding enough carbonate with your current WC schedule. You need to initially bump your level up to 9.. and then water changes alone should be enough until your tank gets established before you have to start dosing.

You're at 5dkh and you need to get to 9. Bake 1/2 cup of arm and hammer baking soda in the oven in a shallow baking pan at 300degrees for 1 hour. Dissolve 1/4 tsp in RO/DI and add this mixture over the course of a day and repeat for 4-5 days. You can drip it in or split it up into several doses per day, just don't dose it all at once or you'll spike your pH. Test alk at the same time every day.

Hi Mike thanks for the advice. I do have some bionic 2 part that I can use from my previous SPS system. To me I was surprised the amount the tank consume with no real coral in it yet. I did do a water change today and that will bump it up a bit and I guess tomorrow I will give it some 2-part for the next few days to get it up.

I was hoping to keep up this system with just 33% water changes a week later. It was mostly going to be a chalice tank. But you think once I get the alk up it will stay up better?

I think your water chemistry is just out of wack. I don't think anything is actually consuming alk. Save the bionic.. use the baking soda.

Something needs to be using it if I loose 2 dkh in a week?

I did the baking soda the last couple days and I am now upto 8. I'm going to do another tonight and I should be at my final destination of 9. I won't dose after that and monitor it next week.

What's the status on this tank?

All the levels look good but I am dealing with this slight haze in the tank. It has been a couple weeks now and I was thinking it was a bacteria bloom but it won't go away.

I have never mixed such small bathes of water and Im thinking maybe something is percipitating in the water batches? I was mixing up 3 gallons at a time from the bottom of a bag of coralife salt.... What do you think?

I did pick up ESV salt and im going to mix up 10 gallons today and start changes the water with it.

not sure if in the pic you can see the fog?

post-76333-0-68141400-1418753494_thumb.jpg

All the levels look good but I am dealing with this slight haze in the tank. It has been a couple weeks now and I was thinking it was a bacteria bloom but it won't go away.

I have never mixed such small bathes of water and Im thinking maybe something is percipitating in the water batches? I was mixing up 3 gallons at a time from the bottom of a bag of coralife salt.... What do you think?

I did pick up ESV salt and im going to mix up 10 gallons today and start changes the water with it.

not sure if in the pic you can see the fog?

You could also use some GAC to help clear up the tank. It does look a little hazy. It is probably just the new tank stabilizing.

I did add some last night, I only added 1 tlbs the total water volume is only 13 gallons. Maybe still not enough. The reason I thought maybe precipitating is the bucket, pump, and heater did have a dusting on them the next day when they dried out?

I did add some last night, I only added 1 tlbs the total water volume is only 13 gallons. Maybe still not enough. The reason I thought maybe precipitating is the bucket, pump, and heater did have a dusting on them the next day when they dried out?

Yeah, your salt may not be mixed up well enough. What are your Ca, dkh, and Mg levels?

Alk 8-9

Cal 500

Mag 1400

Ca is a little high but not terrible. I thought that maybe your Mg was low, but it is fine. Have other people noted similar issues with the coralife salt? How are you mixing it?

Ca is a little high but not terrible. I thought that maybe your Mg was low, but it is fine. Have other people noted similar issues with the coralife salt? How are you mixing it?

I think its the bottom of a bag and maybe some things settled, The new salt water change should tell me. I have also wanted to try the ESV it seems the people that use it rave about it.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Looks like you're gettin your diatom bloom and bacteria bloom which are normal. I went through the same thing. Time knock the light off for a day or two.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Looks like you're gettin your diatom bloom and bacteria bloom which are normal. I went through the same thing. Time knock the light off for a day or two.

Are so saying kill the light for a few days?

Archived