Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fragsreef shallow 20 JBJ UP in SMOKE!

frags

Sounds like you're on the right track. Looks like you're gettin your diatom bloom and bacteria bloom which are normal. I went through the same thing. Time knock the light off for a day or two.

Cant stand diatom blooms.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did my first water change tonight with ESV salt and it was kind of interesting with all the measuring. I have to say I have never seen a salt mix, mix so clear!

So I did the water change and so no difference in the cloudiness of the water! :angry:

So know what?

So is it bacterial maybe I guess, bit maybe its sand blowing around... mp10 in a 8 in of water. I will shut it off for for awhile but it doesn't make sense the tank did not startout cloudy so cant be the pump.

My mechanical filtration is just a sponge in the first chamber, maybe I should try some floss. :blink:

So for quite some time I've been thinking about setting up a refugium with macro algae I could plumb it into the all in one. I am thinking about doing a 20 gallon tank full of the stuff. The total water volume on the shallow reef I have now is only 13 gallons. I am wondering if a refugium of 20 gallons would even benefit the tank?

I have no idea where to start I don't have any knowledge of macro algae and refugiums so if someone could point me in the direction of where some good info is on the subject and who is a good place to purchase it from that would be great.

I have about a 10" long by 6" tall section for my fuge in my 10 gallon sump, literally packed with chaeto to the point where if you pull it out it maintains the square shape. A full 20 would be more than enough, could probably go smaller if you wanted. For algae, i would just go with chaeto, or caulerpa. I had grape caulerpa but switched it out for chaeto. Preferred the chaeto over the caulerpa.

I have about a 10" long by 6" tall section for my fuge in my 10 gallon sump, literally packed with chaeto to the point where if you pull it out it maintains the square shape. A full 20 would be more than enough, could probably go smaller if you wanted. For algae, i would just go with chaeto, or caulerpa. I had grape caulerpa but switched it out for chaeto. Preferred the chaeto over the caulerpa.

Thanks for the info... why do you like the chaeto over the caulerpa?

Thanks for the info... why do you like the chaeto over the caulerpa?

The caulerpa i had would break off and end up in my DT. Then would drop roots and grow all over my rock. I'm still pulling some off my rock every W/C. With chaeto i still have some end up in the DT but it doesn't lay roots so its easy to remove.

Any chalice keepers on my thread? The frags I just got I think the skeleton is broken on 2 of them and I think the flesh is the only thing keeping it together. I'm wondering if it will just fuse together or it won and I should frag it?

Also will a chalice grow if it's fragged with no mouth?

So my tank was cloudy for awhile and I could not figure it out thought i twas a bacteria bloom, I added a piece of 100 micron felt like a filter sock to the back chamber and now it is gone!

I starting dosing today for Alkalinity :angry: I thought water changes every week would be enough but that is not the case. I guess its just the small water volume, it a 20 gallon but after rock and sand I only put in 13 gallons. I guess thats the nano game.

I dodged a bullet last night. I was in my office feeling my chalices and I heard a clicking noise. I couldn't figure out what the clicking noise was I unplug the fan on my light fixture and then it seemed to go away. I was sitting at my computer when I had an awful smell look towards my tank in the back of it was smoking. So I race over and I noticed my heater is it smoking and it smells real bad I rush to the other side of the wall to unplug it and get it out of there. Come to find out that heater cracked.

luckily I was there when all this went down. It definitely could have been worse it appears like I haven't lost any livestock.

I forgot to say what type heater it was... Its the new Cobalt neo-therm heaters it was a 75 watt unit. I would never use one again!

Man, that sucks. I've heard of other people having issues with that heater and the bottom of the casing failing. At least you caught the problem early.

Man, that sucks. I've heard of other people having issues with that heater and the bottom of the casing failing. At least you caught the problem early.

I know the odds that I was there when it went down is great. Makes me very weary of heaters now... what do you use?

I know the odds that I was there when it went down is great. Makes me very weary of heaters now... what do you use?

Aqueon Pro Heater. Not as low profile as the Cobalt, but so far so good.

Aqueon Pro Heater. Not as low profile as the Cobalt, but so far so good.
I have one of these also its a 200 watt I put it I. This tank it's way oversized for about 10 gallons water volume.

Yikes! Glad you caught it right away!!!! How old is the heater? I have a small one in my 8g tank :scarry:
The heater is 4 months old, the manufacture date on the cord says 10/ 2013. I did a little research and the 200watt ones have been burning up a lot. Most of these people found out to late. It was actually sent to me to do a product review, I told them I was going to pass now. lol

I forgot to say what type heater it was... Its the new Cobalt neo-therm heaters it was a 75 watt unit. I would never use one again!

I only use Jager.

I dodged a bullet last night. I was in my office feeling my chalices and I heard a clicking noise. I couldn't figure out what the clicking noise was I unplug the fan on my light fixture and then it seemed to go away. I was sitting at my computer when I had an awful smell look towards my tank in the back of it was smoking. So I race over and I noticed my heater is it smoking and it smells real bad I rush to the other side of the wall to unplug it and get it out of there. Come to find out that heater cracked. luckily I was there when all this went down. It definitely could have been worse it appears like I haven't lost any livestock.

I read a lot of reviews about the Cobalt heaters, and a lot of people complained about the structural integrity. Seemed like it was mostly the big ones (200w) though. Sounds like you got lucky. A bunch of reviews said that they cracked and poured a bunch of black, tar-like goop into the tank. Yikes!

I read a lot of reviews about the Cobalt heaters, and a lot of people complained about the structural integrity. Seemed like it was mostly the big ones (200w) though. Sounds like you got lucky. A bunch of reviews said that they cracked and poured a bunch of black, tar-like goop into the tank. Yikes!

Ya I think I caught before it got to that level, I have not lost anything.

Love the look of your tanks so far! I'm sorry to hear about your blenny.

I'm definitely going to be following this thread!

Cool man its starting to come along!

Archived