Cultivated Reef

Budget Tide : Pre-Order, Specs and Pricing

DaveFason

After working many hours I have nailed down the new budget Tide. The only item that may change is the name. While the Mini GLOW was a great idea, it just did not sell. I am considering calling this the GLOW or ECO Mini. Then offering the Tide upgrade kit ( Storm/Bluefish, new drivers, cords, etc ).

SPECS :

• Full Spectrum LED Array - 2 - Lime, 1 - Neutral white, 2 - Warm White, 2 - Violet, 4 - Royal Blue, 1 - Cyan and 1 - Blue
  • Active Cooling
  • 5"x3"x1.25" Housing ( Available in Black or White )
  • Metal Swing Arm - Fixed arm, side to side movement for tank maintenance
  • 14-15K Spectrum
  • USA made and assembled by hand
  • Upgrade Kits for Storms and Bluefish
  • Special special when ordered with a Pico 5g AIO

PRICING :

• Regular Pricing - $199.95
  • Pre-Order OR purchase with Pico 5G AIO - 189.95

Unit Over Pico 5G AIO :

14495733964_c2d95537dc_c.jpg

14310430688_0303b76486_b.jpg

PICTURES :

14310428349_bd166754df_c.jpg

14473926696_27c0a3cb5a_c.jpg

14310431128_24bb2f8e98_c.jpg

14495735024_4271039404_c.jpg

ENJOY! Ship date will be July 15th.

-Dave

After working many hours I have nailed down the new budget Tide. The only item that may change is the name. While the Mini GLOW was a great idea, it just did not sell. I am considering calling this the GLOW or ECO Mini. Then offering the Tide upgrade kit ( Storm/Bluefish, new drivers, cords, etc ).

SPECS :

• Full Spectrum LED Array - 2 - Lime, 1 - Neutral white, 2 - Warm White, 2 - Violet, 4 - Royal Blue, 1 - Cyan and 1 - Blue
  • Active Cooling
  • 5"x3"x1.25" Housing ( Available in Black or White )
  • Metal Swing Arm - Fixed arm, side to side movement for tank maintenance
  • 14-15K Spectrum
  • USA made and assembled by hand
  • Upgrade Kits for Storms and Bluefish
  • Special special when ordered with a Pico 5g AIO

PRICING :

• Regular Pricing - $199.95
  • Pre-Order OR purchase with Pico 5G AIO - 189.95

Unit Over Pico 5G AIO :

14495733964_c2d95537dc_c.jpg

14310430688_0303b76486_b.jpg

PICTURES :

14310428349_bd166754df_c.jpg

14473926696_27c0a3cb5a_c.jpg

14310431128_24bb2f8e98_c.jpg

14495735024_4271039404_c.jpg

ENJOY! Ship date will be July 15th.

-Dave

Looks great, especially with the tank, Dave.

Mmmmmm.....

I assume these are not dimmable, correct? What is the height of the light from the water line/top of the tank?

so they will be 100% intensity?

Ehhh....I hope not. I cannot imagine putting one over a 5G at 100%. I keep my Tide on my Nuvo 8 around 50%.

On another note, I second the "ECO Mini" name. I think it's fitting.

jedimasterben

Ehhh....I hope not. I cannot imagine putting one over a 5G at 100%. I keep my Tide on my Nuvo 8 around 50%.

That is part of what makes it 'budget', otherwise the Storm would be a necessity and increase the price basically back up to the regular Tide.

The stock intensity is lower than on the Tide to get the color where it needs to be for each channel but it's not too much lower. They're basically PAR38 bulbs with better color and quality.

Thanks! Correct, not dimmable until you upgrade. ~4.5"

Looks great, especially with the tank, Dave.

Mmmmmm.....

I assume these are not dimmable, correct? What is the height of the light from the water line/top of the tank?

Yes and no. Different drivers ( less amperage ). It will be a nice blend if someone wanted SPS or LPS/softies.

Thanks for the input.

On another note, I second the "ECO Mini" name. I think it's fitting.

Yes and no. Different drivers ( less amperage ). It will be a nice blend if someone wanted SPS or LPS/softies.

Ahh I see. I guess I skimmed over the part about different drivers and didn't realize that lowered the output intensity. Can you say roughly what intensity it would compare to on the Mini Tide?

jedimasterben

Ahh I see. I guess I skimmed over the part about different drivers and didn't realize that lowered the output intensity. Can you say roughly what intensity it would compare to on the Mini Tide?

NW is ~50-55% intensity and RB is 86-89%.

No screws on the end covers? Uhhh, please tell me this is happening with my order :D

I can do this on the units if you want the unit mounting from the back. I am HIGHLY considering this on all units now.

-Dave

So tempting. When is the pre-order? Its just $50 for the controller upgrade?

Adding to the site tonight or I can send an invoice.

No the TIDE upgrade will be $110. This will include new drivers, Storm, cords, mounting, case, etc. With all the Tides I have sold, I may have only built 4-5 with the manual dimming. I am also considering changing the Tide to having to Storm controller standard and changing the price accordingly.

The main reason for this unit is for those who cant swing the money at first. However the light itself is not "cheaper". Still all CNC, best LEDs, built by hand and upgradable. You can upgrade to the Storm of Bluefish later ( it will cost a little more ). This is well worth the extra cash over a PAR bulb to me in my opinion.

Much as I'd love to see this come it at around $150 (basically the cost of the current leading PAR38 products + a slight premium for the, well... NanoBox!) it's really tempting even at $199.

Having something "cheap" that can be added onto later without having to re-purchase the whole darn thing is a really attractive feature to those who regard even a PAR38 as pushing it cost-wise.

Time to start up the swear-jar once more!

One question (forgive me if I'm asking something beaten into the ground elsewhere) - can dimming of the product-to-be-known-as-GLOW/ECO Mini be done with a plug-in CFL/LED dimmer slider or will this approach do Really Bad Things to the shipping drivers?

jedimasterben

One question (forgive me if I'm asking something beaten into the ground elsewhere) - can dimming of the product-to-be-known-as-GLOW/ECO Mini be done with a plug-in CFL/LED dimmer slider or will this approach do Really Bad Things to the shipping drivers?

You'll destroy the power supply, drivers, or both.

I can do this on the units if you want the unit mounting from the back. I am HIGHLY considering this on all units now.

-Dave

PM sent :ninja:

I love the clean look without the screws to be honest, just looks that much more polished.

So which drivers does this come with? Just curious.

Wish i could retro one of those new boards into my current Tide. :P

Archived