ReefCleaners.org

Dans Lagoon IM Fusion 30L build!

danschargers21

danschargers21

Hey all! New to the site. Thought I would do a build thread with video for my new 30l fusion tank. Won't arrive for a few days, just wanted to get this started. This will be an LPS, ricordea dominate tank.

Tank : Fusion 30L w/ Custom Caddy

Stand : IM Stand

Lighting : Buildmyled.com 36" 20k xb

Skimmer : IM Ghost Midsize

Controller : Apex

Refugium : Not sure if I will use the IM light and put some algae in my caddy or use the Santa Monica HOG algae scrubber

Live rock : Still not sure, I have BRS dry rock and real reef rock. But I think I want to try to use Richard at Tampabaysaltwater.com this time around, heard amazing things.

I will post pics of everything when they arrive, I believe that will be monday. Let me know comments, suggestions!

Happy reefing! :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danschargers21

Its finally here! Took about 2 hours to put it all together... Its a decent cabinet.. 300 dollars worth? meh. But super happy with the tank.. was a litlte worried with all the horror stories I hear about the shipping. Got here no problems though.

post-84900-0-41410800-1402968250_thumb.jpg

post-84900-0-64132400-1402968175_thumb.jpg

Going to fill with water for a leak test... now I just have to wait for my light, then order my live rock!

Dry rock or go with live rock from tampabaysaltwater.com what you guys think?

Steensj2004

Live rock is tricky. If you have a good source that is reliable get liverock. I did dry rock so I could smash it up and take my time with scraping before adding water. I started the tank with seasoned water from a established tank, my cycle was short. If you are afraid of pests and have no reputable place to buy it I suggest dry rock. Just make sure to order stuff guaranteed to not leech phosphates etc. Sweet setup!

I used a combination of dry rock and live rock from www.gulfliverock.com. I got their 17 lbs nano special package. The live rock was outstanding and in excellent condition when it arrived. After cycling it in the dark for nearly two weeks, I never did see an ammonia spike. I assume it was because there was little die off and the rock was fully populated with bacteria for the nitrogen cycle. Since turning on the lights and gradually increasing the length of day to 8.6 hrs I have found more than 5 kinds of macro algae. I think I'll keep many of them as it is a nice mix of greens, reds and brown algae. In addition, there have been feather dusters and other good things in the rock. Did have to eliminate some aiptasia, but you take the good with the bad. The coraline from the live rock haas already begun to colonize the dry rock and has been less than 8 weeks.

danschargers21

I think I will take your advice and go with dry rock.. I have a bunch of brs reef saver thats been curing for a month now.. was going to sell it, but I think I will use it. Ordered a IM reactor for gfo and some sand today. Once I get the sand I will try some aquascaping with the rock and see what I come up with and take some pictures.

danschargers21

Also, for stock list.. I am looking for the most wow for such a small space.. This is what I came up with.

Clown pair

midas benny

mystery wrasse

flame hawk maybe or a few blue green chromis

danschargers21

I was playing around with some aquascaping today.. sorry for the reflections in the pictures.. will need to retake after the sunsets. I wanted to try the minimal amount of rock as I can.. with still leaving me plenty of rock for coral. This tank will have many softies / lps that grow large so I try to keep that in mind.

This was my 3 island appoarch... 3 huge rocks

post-84900-0-57805500-1403049177_thumb.jpg

This one is my favorite.. I felt it gives me tons of coral space, plus good swimming room.

post-84900-0-23590400-1403049385_thumb.jpg

On a happy note.. the led light will arrive tomorrow. I will post pictures when I get it.

danschargers21

Got my fixture today.. boy is it sweet. I got the tank mounts so I can position the fixture closer to the front, then tilt it back to keep all the glare of the light out of your eyes while viewing.

2014-06-18193642.jpg

danschargers21

You decide on a fuge or a scrubber ?

No, I have not decided yet.. I kinda wanna see how it does with just the gfo reactor... hoping to not need a scrubber or fuge but we shall see.

I posted a video up of the tank.. hopefully the first of a few.. There is a lack of video on the web of this tank so hoping I can shed some light for people that want more info about this tank.

danschargers21

I don't know what all the complaints about the noise are... I think its fine... maybe this will change once its broken in and there is a bio load.

• 2 weeks later...
danschargers21

Here are some pictures I took with my phone.

New acans

post-84900-0-22532800-1405035417_thumb.jpg

Hungry acans

post-84900-0-51954200-1405035483_thumb.jpg

Emerald Crab

post-84900-0-03288500-1405035600_thumb.jpg

Nice new zoas

post-84900-0-73871600-1405035617_thumb.jpg

Clowns and the duncans

post-84900-0-57105800-1405035637_thumb.jpg

FTS

post-84900-0-16062800-1405035754_thumb.jpg

danschargers21

Just curious, what are you running in the custom caddys ?

Right now just a bag of carbon and those yellow filter sponges that came with the originally caddys. I might possibly add the refug or some bio media of some sort due to not much live rock being in the tank. But thats it for now.

Archived