Cultivated Reef

TELL ME THIS IS NOT APTASIA !

aviator300

I noticed this little fella growing on the side of a frag disc that several polyps of Zoas are mounted on.

As you can see by the grains of special grade reef sand, this fella is very, very small. In fact, I really don't know why I noticed it at all.

Its tentacles wave in the current and it retracts quickly into a little hole in the disk when touched.

I've taken the frag out of my display tank and put it in quarantine until I can determine what it is and what to do about it.

post-82910-0-20139500-1394823490_thumb.jpg

post-82910-0-56877000-1394823500_thumb.jpg

natalia_la_loca

OK. "This is not aiptasia."

(but it is)

post-83370-0-68520200-1394824349_thumb.jpg

If it's on a frag and in quarantine, it's super easy to fix. Kalk, lemon juice, boiling water are cool, but I'm a pyromaniac myself.

I told you not to tell me that. LOL

I'm a pyro also. Think I will pull out my fire starter and have a barbeque.

At first, I was a little angry at the LFS that sold me the frag but then I said to myself

"Myself, how could anyone spot something this small in large batches of coral frags"

Anyway, all other opinions and suggestions are welcome.

FINAL question. What about a small drop of vinegar right on it which would cover the bad boy and yet not the polyps?

natalia_la_loca

FINAL question. What about a small drop of vinegar right on it which would cover the bad boy and yet not the polyps?

Might work if you injected it with vinegar, but it may be too small for that.

Besides, lighters are more fun. It's at the base of the frag, turn it upside down, get the flame right on it and cackle madly as it boils.

yea not sure about vinegar, part B of two part (the alkalinity portion) will work well, especially if you have a needle and can inject it. Aiptasia X is also really great, I keep a ton of it on hand because they always show up somewhere.

Rollermonkey

What you got there is your standard glass anemone. They are considered a pest, and will multiply rapidly, and typically overwhelm any corals on the way. You can kill it with fire, superglue, kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water, etc.

POP. POP, SIZZLE, SIZZLE.

Boy, was that fun. He tried to retract into his hole but I'm sure a direct flame to the area for 5 seconds fried him..

Thanks everyone.

I hate it when I put glue into what looks to be the hole it's in, only for it to slide out the side and rear its face to me again. Little boogers. So pretty soon you have a glue spot that's easily noticeable, and the pest is still, well, less noticeable. Wasted glue, they'll never make a bottle that's big enough for a decent price. That's my rant for the day, I'm not good at ranting, they're usually small, smaller than the actual aptasia!

I think i just got one, had a Nitrate spike and it popped out, got the trates under 5ppm but now what to do with it? See pic below, am i correct in my id? Its on the left side of my colony polyps,

Some say its not that bad to have as long as you keep ur chemistry good, thoughts on keeping it?

Second thought is a peppermint shrimp, they look cool too but i have seen some chats saying it wont work, thoughts on this as well? My tank is 8 gallons only, not stocked very heavy, it says they don't get much bigger than 1-2" so do i even have room for this guy?

Last is if i get a peppermint anyways will it harm my two sexy anemone shrimp, they are soo soo small they must look like food!

post-82698-0-34463800-1394905517_thumb.jpg

Super CatPig

drfu, Not sure if sexys are safe with them but peppermints sometimes work.. I would only get one if you really want one. They hide a lot and steal food from corals when you try to feed. Granted you are okay with that get one and see what you think. I eventually grew to hate mine LOL.

Use a turkey baster to fend him off when feeding your coral. Oddly I had one that was a model citizen until I introduced a torch coral then he was all NOM NOM NOM. That being said I've had several and only that one ever ate a coral of mine. But there are several species just make sure you get the right one.

PeppermintShrimpSpeciesAndrewLRhyneJunda

( A ) Lysmata wurdemanni
( B ) Lysmata rathbunae
( C ) Lysmata ankeri
( D ) Lysmata boggessi
( E ) Lysmata pederseni
( F ) Lysmata bahia

I believe you want ( A ) Lysmata wurdemanni if you get one. Most report good things from that species.

But I would just turn your pumps off and use a syringe to shoot joes juice, aiptasia X, kalkwasser, lemon juice, or boiling water into its mouth as stated above.. Admittedly the only reason I ever keep one around is lazyness. And thats really a terrible reason I got there! :wacko:

vegasgundog

My peppermint s wiped out any feather dusters after the aptaisia and started on coco worms a couple of weeks ago after I lowered feeding levels for algae infestation. Use with caution.

Aiptasia X is the only fool-proof method I've tried that works.

I've tried nudibranches, peppermint shrimp, injecting them with vinegar...

It's quick, easy, and effective.

I tend to just let them do their thing if they aren't near corals. I actually think they look really nice. Not as nice as my RBTA clones but still nice. if they get close to one of my corals then aiptasia x or fire whatever cure is safer for my corals.

skimmerdude

Kalk paste is the only thing that ever worked for me. I would "feed" the paste to the bugger, usually worked on the 1st or 2nd time.

Well I added a pair in each of my tanks, acclimated them last night. In my one tank my two aptasia's are gone already and in my other, they took care of the small one and left the larger one. We shall see in a couple of days if they find/eat the last one. I think they are kinda neat, they seem to cruse around quite a bit and as long as they don't get too large i think they are keepers for sure. In my small 8g nano, my sexy shrimp are still there and doing fine, my two juve clowns are not fans of having tank mates, so we shall see. I fed them this am, hungry suckers! Guess i will feed them first before feeding the clowns and my anemones. In my larger 15g nano my hi fin still pops out but is quite skittish when they cruse by so again we shall see.

Super CatPig

They don't get very big. Fun to watch at night when they hunt the most. Congrats on getting the aiptasia under control.

They don't get very big. Fun to watch at night when they hunt the most. Congrats on getting the aiptasia under control.

Thx, they are fun to watch, thats for sure & fun to feed!

OH FDCK ALL!! NOOOOOOO NOT APTASIA! WHY GOD WHY !?

Like me, u prob got a frag from a tank that had it! Pepperment shrimp worked for me in a day!

Well i freaked out this am, seen a skeleton of my shrimp in the front of the tank, first i thought it was dead and faded color, then i thought well maybe its a shell but it had feelers, tentacles, etc so i went looking and found both of them, yikes!

So my question is what to do with this shell, pull it out before it causes some extra nitrates or do my nassarius snails like to eat it? Picture below, shell is front, bottom, left?

post-82698-0-79224100-1395332169_thumb.jpg

Archived