Pod Your Reef

Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO won't stop

ninjamyst

My Tunze Nano ATO been running perfectly for the past 2 months. Then last week, I woke up one night to the pump making this hissing noise because reservoir ran out of water, and it already pumped 2 cups into the tank. Lucky my reservoir is small and can only hold about 4 cups of water. I was sleepy and just unplugged the ATO. I checked salinity and it was still 1.025. I keep the tank around 1.025 and 1.026. When I came home from work that day, I plugged it back in and it seems to work fine. Probably a fluke? Then it happened again this weekend in the middle of the day. The pump won't stop despite pouring enough water to go over the sensor. I unplugged it again and plugged it back in and it kept pumping. 6 hours later, I plugged it back in and it's fine now. What the heck. Now I am scared to put too much water in the reservoir in case it goes crazy again. I checked all the connections and they are secure. Do I need to clean the sensor? If so, just soak it in vinegar and water?

Sorry, when i say sensor, i meant the float switch. I will give it a good cleaning tomorrow. Also, for anyone reading this, if your Tunze Nano ever STOPS pumping water, wiggle/shake the pump a few times. I learned that from another thread.

If the pump becomes unprimed it my not pump water. I have both the Tunze 3155 and 3152, so far never had an issue with either, pretty reliable. If a small snail gets in the way of the float it may not drop down, or rise up. Only flaw with this type of float mechanism. The 3155 has the optical sensor and float switch making it pretty much infallible. Both units need periodic cleaning regardless, which reminds me now, I should clean mine again.

BattleAthletics

Ok but for you to shake the pump means that the pump might be losing its impeller and shaft. The pump works as a centrifugal pump not like a diaphragm pump or a positive displacement pump.

Ok but for you to shake the pump means that the pump might be losing its impeller and shaft. The pump works as a centrifugal pump not like a diaphragm pump or a positive displacement pump.

Here's the other thread that said to shake it to "kick start it if it's new or left to run dry".

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317789-tunze-osmolator-noob-with-probably-stupid-mistakes-help-please/

When it ran out of water to pump and I unplugged it, I did have to shake it the next day to get it to work again.

HammerheadV13

I had this same problem and placed a piece of cardboard between the glass and magnet, it seemed to resolve the issue. Something to do with the strength of the magnet effecting the float (even though it is plastic... weird I know)

• 2 years later...

My Tunze Nano ATO been running perfectly for the past 2 months. Then last week, I woke up one night to the pump making this hissing noise because reservoir ran out of water, and it already pumped 2 cups into the tank. Lucky my reservoir is small and can only hold about 4 cups of water. I was sleepy and just unplugged the ATO. I checked salinity and it was still 1.025. I keep the tank around 1.025 and 1.026. When I came home from work that day, I plugged it back in and it seems to work fine. Probably a fluke? Then it happened again this weekend in the middle of the day. The pump won't stop despite pouring enough water to go over the sensor. I unplugged it again and plugged it back in and it kept pumping. 6 hours later, I plugged it back in and it's fine now. What the heck. Now I am scared to put too much water in the reservoir in case it goes crazy again. I checked all the connections and they are secure. Do I need to clean the sensor? If so, just soak it in vinegar and water?

I created thread for the same issue, and found this thread. I'd like to follow up with you. Did you solve the issue?

I bought 3152 brand new and just like yours it pumps and continue to pump when I plug the power in despite the tank does not need top off and the float sensor is submerged in water.

• 1 month later...

Just want to update that Tunze distributor in Canada has acknowledged that they had a software issue with Tunze ATO that they discovered after they talked to the manufacture.

Archived