Pod Your Reef

AHHHHH Innovative Marine!

slaychild

Anyone want a 16g Nuvo??? Cause Im about the throw it out the window. I got the tank about 6 months ago, may be even less then that. When I got it, It leaked!!!! Innovative Marine asked if I could re-silicone the tank instead of sending it to them. Ok, i got some aquarium silicone and did it myself. It was leaking from the bottom on the back wall. NOW, all the silicone in the tank has turned yellow. I contacted IM four days ago and I have not heard anything back. It's looking like I have to buy a new tank now. OMG!!!

Not only that, their Skimmer I bought just broke!!!!!

Based on that customer service call, I don't think I will ever order one of their tanks. Why would I call them and agree to fix it myself instead of them replacing it when I could have saved the phone call and done the same thing. I'm calling support to have them fix their problem. Not to fix it myself. That is truly a pathetic customer support department if that is standard procedure for them.

Ill report in and say I have been around a few Nuvo tanks, some with problems, they were always quick to rectify the issues. My 38 I just received is absolutely immaculate.

Sorry your having such troubles!

I'd kind of understand if this was an Aqueon/AGA/Tetra tank... they're just so common that it'd be worth trying to fix on hand rather than shipping such a common design back & forth.

But IM? They're trying to play in the designer tank game... admittedly in the high-volume midrange/low end, but still a different class entirely than what you'd get in a dollar-a-gallon sale. Stick to your guns with 'em or open a new case with a new person (or get the place you bought it from involved). Too be fair, I've never heard of IM not attempting to do right by a customer once enough noise is made.

Lucky here... there's at least 3 stores that carry the 8's, 16's and 34's in-house. It's one of the tanks I'd look at upgrading to, but based on what I've heard I'd only consider ordering locally where I can carry the thing back in the event of issue.

Ok just got off the phone with them. As for the silicone, since it is clear and not black it will turn yellow. That is what I was told. I was also told that it will be covered up by coralline algae. That is if I'm lucky..... On a good note, they are sending me the parts to fix the skimmer. I also told them I would give it a couple more months.

Ok just got off the phone with them. As for the silicone, since it is clear and not black it will turn yellow. That is what I was told. I was also told that it will be covered up by coralline algae. That is if I'm lucky..... On a good note, they are sending me the parts to fix the skimmer. I also told them I would give it a couple more months.

WTF. That's a load of bull. I've never seen silicone just turn yellow for no reason, even tanks that have been set up for years still have clear silicone, maybe hazy after that length of time but never yellow. And the oldest reef tank I've ever seen, which has an insane amount of coralline growth that needs to be scraped almost daily, doesn't have any of it growing on the silicone. Sounds to me like they just don't want to deal with the problem.

i would of shipped the tank back to them and have them fix/give you a new tank than fixing it yourself.

your just giving them another reason for them not to help you. "you siliconed the tank, and ####ed up the entire tank, its not covered under warranty, go pound sand"

I hate to sound mean but you we'rent assertive enough when talking to them. I have had good luck with Innovative Marine's support (Steve) but I had to push him when I needed something done.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Customer service is key in any form of ongoing business and in the aquarium field it should not be taken any less. Fabrication of my own line of tanks has been a blessing but also a challenge.

My first line of promotional tanks that launched just a month ago had a hiccup, two of my tanks reported leaks. They were promotional free tanks with the purchase of other equipment, they were rushed.

One tank was able to be cured by a reefer with experience on cementing, but the other reefer opted for a brand new build.

Without hesitation I started up a new build for that customer and in fact he made a request for a larger filter box area which I made for him at no extra cost, he ordered an upgraded return pump and his tank shipped out.

I am a one man show, that means I have no partners and I must treat every sale like it is my first! But, for a corporation to ask you to do your own work and not offer you other solutions is odd.

I am sure they will step up to fix this problem ASAP! Watch as this thread turns around, a good company supports its customers!

I hate to sound mean but you we'rent assertive enough when talking to them. I have had good luck with Innovative Marine's support (Steve) but I had to push him when I needed something done.

That is a completely unreasonable way to treat your customers. You should never have to get assertive with customer support for such an obvious manufacturing error. The more I hear about them in this thread, the less I want to deal with them.

Honestly I'd stay at it, them wanting you to accept an inferior product in just not acceptable in my opinion, you could have bought something cheaper if you wanted that, where is the pride in ones product. You ordered an item and you are well within your right to expect to get what you paid for, don't let them make you feel like you are being unreasonable. And as disaster999 said above, avoid fixing it yourself, that just gives them a way to shift the blame onto you. Make them supply you the product that you paid for. If the person on the line us unwilling to help, ask to speak to their boss. ;)

I would stay away from innovative marine tanks, all my friends that ever owned one(nuvo 16) they alt end up cracking, if you owned one its just a matter of time. even when replace with a brand new it. it cracked again.

• 2 weeks later...

To tell you the truth. I dont know what to do. I thought about picking up a Mr. Aqua 17.4g tank cause I have a overflow from Glass holes sitting in my closet and it have never been used. But I also have a wife whom gets mad when I talk about getting a replacement tank. I still haven't put any corals in it, cause I like long established tank before I start placing expensive corals. And in that waiting process the silicone turns yellow. Damn!!!!

Im posting some pic's on my build thread if you wanna see it.

Thanks for the support!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323880-slays-white-16-nuvo/page-2

Ugh I hate that for you man, those pics look horrible. I wonder if they'll blame it on you and say you put something in the tank to stain it...

If they refuse to help I'd bitch and yell for a refund. No shipping back, just a refund. Then go buy a different tank. Then just use the lights from this one on the new tank.

Surprising to hear. IM was very good when my 18-month old tank (outside warranty) started to leak. They offered to send me a new tank as long as I paid shipping, or offered me a discount on a larger tank I could go pick up at the store the same day. I went with the larger tank.

Ugh I hate that for you man, those pics look horrible. I wonder if they'll blame it on you and say you put something in the tank to stain it...

If they refuse to help I'd bitch and yell for a refund. No shipping back, just a refund. Then go buy a different tank. Then just use the lights from this one on the new tank.

I used Dap Aquarium safe silicone!!!!

Wait, you put silicone in the tank? Oh I see now, I forgot about the original thread topic.

Bad thing is, since you tried to repair it yourself they can completely refuse to help you. They can just say that you messed it up yourself and now you're looking for a free replacement.

I'd keep all correspondence that's gone on between you and the company in case they decide to play hard ball.

Wait, you put silicone in the tank? Oh I see now, I forgot about the original thread topic.

Bad thing is, since you tried to repair it yourself they can completely refuse to help you. They can just say that you messed it up yourself and now you're looking for a free replacement.

I'd keep all correspondence that's gone on between you and the company in case they decide to play hard ball.

Yea Steve is the one who told me, it is even notated in the beginning of my build. He didn't want to have it mailed back cause I had live stock in the house when I did the leak test. Plus, it turned yellow in the back where no DAP was applied. If you look at the pic, the left side of the tank. You can see a wide portion of silicone that is clear. That is the new silicone, the right side was not touched.

This picture is proof that is was their silicone and not mine. Even in the back and on top the silicone turned yellow.

20131121_153759.jpg

Here is more from the back of the tank where I can not reach.

20131121_184910.jpg

20131121_184901.jpg

20131121_184841.jpg

Man I don't know. I'd be afraid that the silicone was somehow contaminated. I've never ever seen silicone turn yellow like that, I've only seen it turn green due to constant medication in a tank. What makes it even worse is that this is a white tank and that stands out like a sore, sick, infected thumb.

Ok good news!!!!!!! Just talked to Steve at Innovative Marine. He is sending me another tank!!!! And it's going to be black this time!! I will send this one back so they can do some testing on the silicone to find out what is going on.

If anyone out there has any issues with Innovative Marine, Please, Please just ask for Steve!!!!

Glad to hear that IM is making things right. It's a shame that they are having a so many issues with these tanks because they look so nice aesthetically. They might want to start rethinking their work before they try and push out another line of aquariums

Archived