Top Shelf Aquatics

Floating Reef

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

IMG_0138_zpsbe60ff8f.jpg

IMG_9703_zps8433eef0.jpg

Well it has been a looong time since I've had a tank thread! Time to start one. This is going along a half-wall between my kitchen and dining room. Not much for sump options, without cutting into our kitchen cabinetry...which was a no-go with the wife. :) So it will be an all-in-one.

Tank specs:

-48 x 12 x 10"H (36" display area)

-Rimless, polished glass edges

Equipment specs:

-Custom LED fixture utilizing 5 Ecoxotic Stunner strips

-Custom DIY LED fixture utilizing CREE LEDs and MeanWell LDD drivers (a bit down the road)

-Bluefish WiFi LED controller

-various Bluefish prototypes

-2 x Eheim Compact return/circulation pumps

-Modified Innovative Marine Skimmate skimmer (needs a height reduction to fit)

A good portion of my motivation to set this tank up is to show off my wifi LED controller product (promo/demo videos), which you can read a bit more about in this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/332188-new-bluetooth-app-enabled-controller/ Also I will be testing out prototypes for the Bluefish sensor module, powerbar, and some other goodies.

Currently waiting for glass to arrive, and then this thread should get a lot more interesting! Thanks for looking.

diningroomview_zps231b5f88.jpg

ecoxoticfixture2_zps1b59996f.jpg

filtration_zpsf4937eef.jpg

kitchenview_zpsf542f3a1.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpencerShepard

A small amount of progress today, nothing too exciting yet...RO unit installed, and ran a water line up through the attic and down next to the tank. I will be using a float valve for ATO.

ro-unit_zps6cdf8212.jpg

tank1_zpse2b6e0f5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
SpencerShepard

IMG_9550_zpsf7196fb9.png

IMG_9569_zps39311ad6.png

Now that the tank's done (less the teeth for the overflow), things will start to happen quickly. Next up is moulding and painting around the base of the tank, covering the filtration portion, and filling.

SpencerShepard

Where's the tank from and heatsink for the LED?

Tank was built by me. I own an LFS and design/installation/service company so it wasn't my first time. :) The LEDs are on a 1/4" stainless steel plate. The stunners don't need a heatsink, but I am mounting those with thermal paste for a bit of heat dissipation.

SpencerShepard

IMG_9574_zps7dbb8b51.jpg

The Eheim Compact pumps are going to be awesome for this application I think. They draw from the bottom, and have flow adjustment. Skimmer still needs to be cut down...the "sump" portion will be covered, so it has to be about 9" tall. That's a tight fit! I'm elbowing the connection to the skimmer pump, and that reduces the height, but I still need to bring it down by a couple inches. I think I can take most of that out of the collection cup, but I'd have to make two cuts in the middle and glue it back together.

IMG_9577_zpscbd34d0e.jpg

The overflow panel is black glass. Oh so much easier to keep clean than plastic. :)

SpencerShepard

So are you going to put a Mat down between the tank and marble?

The tank doesn't sit on the granite, it sits a few inches above on top of a half wall. But yes there is a layer of foam under there.

IMG_9582_zps65f9af23.jpg

IMG_9599_zpsb51b7bc3.jpg

IMG_9605_zpse7fe4f42.jpg

IMG_9604_zps43dbb1c3.jpg

Archived