Top Shelf Aquatics

Mike's 18" Custom Cube

Mike Savage

Very Nice. I especially like the way you configured the sump to take advantage of as much possible space as can be. Slick. How many gallons will the sump contain? Total water volume less rock/sand for DT & sump? Following!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank will hold 25 gallons and the sump 22.5 gallons. The tank will actually have about 19 gallons when the rock and substrate are in and the sump will run with about 13 gallons. I hope to have the rock wall done this weekend and salt water in a few days after that once everything is good and dry! Thanks for following along, I sure have enjoyed following your build.

Mike

Sorry I have been so busy, I have two speaking engagements coming up and I'm trying to get my website up besides working on the tank. Anyway, I digress. . . The RO unit is installed in the basement and the line run across the house to a eShopps float valve in the sump.

Okay, finally some photos of the foam wall for the back and left side. Here I am attaching some of the larger rocks to the egg crate light diffuser with zip ties.

08Attachingrocktoeggcrate_zps98c9145d.jp

Next I applied the black pond foam.

09Addpondfoam_zps7f1ae363.jpg

Once it dried for a couple days I turned the whole thing over and removed the paper that I was using to protect the tabletop. It did protect the top but was a pain to remove from the back of the rock wall. When I do the wall for the left side I will use plastic to protect the table.

10Stucktopaper_zps866ba020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made the wall for the left side of the tank and I did use old thin plastic grocery bags to protect the table. They worked perfectly!

I test fit the two walls by laying one on its back and the other is straight up on its side.

11Fittingthetwowallstogether_zpsa6698142

And here it is from a different angle. The larger rocks on the left in the photo are the bottom of the walls.

12Checkingthefit_zps1a3d82c9.jpg

The rock I have on here is much to heavy for it to float. Each wall is about 17" square and there is 20lb of rock and 8-9lb of rubble on them. I used a little less than two cans of pond foam and trimmed off some of that.

I let the foam cure for a few days then used a needle nose pliers (mostly the side of the jaws) to peel and pull the shiny skin off of the pond foam. This left a good texture not unlike the rock. In this photo you can see some shiny parts on the edge and the rest I have already taken off the "skin"

13Texture_zps6d8fe279.jpg

The next step is to mix up the two-part epoxy and use a flux brush to apply it to the pond foam. I covered about 20-25% of the foam on one wall (with the wall laying on its back) then covered the area with sand. I continued until both wall were done then waited about an hour or so. Once I was pretty sure the sand was stuck in place I picked up the wall, held it upside down and turned it every direction I could so I could see how much sand actually stuck. It looked pretty good. I thought about it a while and decided to touchup the blank spots and give most areas a second coat of sand for good measure. About 3 days later I installed the walls. I thought this would be the easy part but there was no way to fit the two walls into the tank separately. Just not enough wiggle room. So after getting another set of hands, getting it half way in, some trimming with the dremmel, and being careful not to scratch the tank, the walls were finally in place. I put the substrate in and pushed it under the large rocks at the bottom of the walls to support them well and It didn't look half bad. I clamped the walls to the tank and ran a bead of silicone along the top edge to hold everything together.

15Viewfrommydesk_zps649e853b.jpg

Archived